H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale
Default Trailer hitch ball mount?

I have never trailered anything, ever. I'm looking into buying a bass boat. I assume i would need an offset ball mount? what offset? I know the trailer for the boat takes a 2" ball. Also The plug adapter for the trailer thats mounted on the bumper of the H2, is there an adapter or something that goes to the trailer wire harness. I noiticed the adpater plug on the bumper looks round and the trailer wire plug looks like a 4 prong straight male plug. Pardon my ignorance, but I have never trailered anything.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Matthewts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trailer hitch ball mount?

I am at stock height and use a 8" drop hitch. The plug that fits in your wiring socket is called a 7-way (or blade) to 4 way (blade). The wiring adapter can be found at any auto parts store. The drop hitch is a little harder to find. A speciality offroad store would be your best bet.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

6"-8" drop should be sufficient for a stock suspension rig on stock size tires. There is an adapter you can buy to hook up the 4 pin flat connector. Pep boys has a decent supply of trailer towing items, they carry Reese which is a respectable brand, the adapter can be purchased for under $10

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 AM
Hummer Expert

Thanks guys, very helpful!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! Im using a 11" drop on a trailer to even out the trailer, so its not angled up. And, I have a stock setup. I tried using a 6-8" drop, and my trailer was still looking at the sky.
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Couple of things when towing your bass boat. first off your truck will probubly not even know its back there. Bass boats are VERY light. So the reality is you won't need to use your Tow/Haul button when towing it. Now if you are going to do alot of stop and go and big hills when towing it use the tow/haul feature. If you are going to do alot of flat highway towing dont worry about the tow/haul it will be useless and will do nothing more than burn more gas. Over time you will learn when its best to use it and when its just annoying.

Sounds like you are new to boating as well?? Make sure you find a good experienced boating buddy to take with you the first couple times out.

Find an empty parking lot and practice backing your trailer. Use cones and learn how to fit it in tight spots and challenge your self so you get used to it. Trust me on this..... The first time you roll into a gas station it might be so packed with cars that you may have to have some skills to maneuver it.

Also when towing your trailer adjust your outside mirrors so that all you see on your H2 is the rear marker on the side of the truck. Then move the mirrors down so that you can just see where the trailer tires make contact with the ground this should give you the best visibility. The mirrors on the
H2 suck for trailering as they are not as big as other trucks.

Also if you have a rear spare tire carrier, you might want to consider mounting your tire on top or inside of your truck and getting rid of the rear carrier b/c you wont be able to get your tail gate open while attached to a trailer and that just sucks.

I know it seems stupid but really to hit on these very basic things but....If you have never trailered anything before you will find this somewhat helpful.

I have the same issue, My 6" drop worked pretty well but my trailer was just a bit tilted up. But not very much at all. I purchased the 6" drop from Tractor supply. Most auto parts to not carry a 6"+ drop I tried them all, Advance, autozone, napa, walmart, orielly etc..... none of them carried any more than a
4" drop.

But I have since lifted the truck. Gettinig the boat hooked up is a major PITA. I have to get the ball lined up right next to the hitch of the trailer then turn the H2 off to shut down the compressor, stand on the back bumper and lift up on the safety chains on the trailer as hard as I can to get the truck to squat enough to get the trailer hitch over the ball. Now I need to find a 8" drop and that is going to be a chore without spending a mint.

Happy boating!
E
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Hummer Novice

H2 rocks me is off the scale

http://ultrahitch.rpmsolutions.biz/index.cfm?section=73

Central 4 wheel drive has about the best price on these

http://www.central4wd.com/category.aspx?page=id|29846

We use these hitches. They are kind of spendy, but they work well

The 10" adjustable drop will work fine for about any trailer behind a stock
height H2.

Depending on the length of the trailer tongue and location of trailer jack, whether or not your spare is mounted on the rear, you may have trouble getting everything hooked up.

Last edited by H2 rocks me : 06-04-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dan D 2 is on a distinguished road

The other issue you might run into is your chains may not be long enough, especially if you go with an 8" drop. You can either lenghten your chains or just go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a length of chain and snake it up through one side, over the hitch and down the other and then connect your trailer chains to that.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Hummer Expert

All great info guys. I am new to trailering and boating. I'm going to look at the bass boat tomorrow that is for sale. Looks like a nice Starcraft aluminum boat. I went to autozone tonight and the biggest drop they had was a 5 1/4 drop. Will that suffice until I can get the right drop hitch, or am I asking for trouble? I was looking on line fo a 8" or 10" drop reciever but I havnt found any yet. What class hitch do we have?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

It really depends on the trailer and tires on it. The lower the trailer is to the ground the more drop hitch you are going to need. I think the factory setup is class IV but I could be wrong. Anyway dont worry about it at all as you wont even come close to maxing out the hitch on your H2 with an aluminum bass boat.