H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-04-2003, 11:16 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

where can I find the one with the multiple settings?

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 PM

unaslob is off the scale

RealWheels does not allow you to swap things in and out.. they just sell the kit.. COMPONENT PARTS sells everything piece by piece. the compressor that they sell is the best one... small, powerful, easy to install. infact you download the instructions from realwheels for the compressor. the rest is patience, and is dependent on what function you require.

considerations to make:

1) lanyard vs solenoid.

solenoid..
what you can do is have a switch that would allow you to use the steering wheel horn as your airhorn, and switch back and forth. this is practical. things I dont like is that you dont have any control over the volume of air you send to the horn.... hence no control over the volume.. there is so such thing as a little toot... also with the solenoid, there is a slight delay when you lay on the horn. I think the solenoid lacks control. with a solenoid you can also install a separate button for the horn. installation is relatively easy

lanyard:
I LOVE THIS.. gives you the true trucker feel. you can control volume. it is there when you want it. installation is a bit more of a prob... you have to find a place to put it. if you have a sunroof then you are limited.. i do not, so I have a large console where the sunroof would have went. My lanyard is hidden in the second sunglasses (middle) bay. open the sunglasses holder, the chain drops down.. and start yanking. it does take some creativity installing, but well worth it. for those with sunroofs, I guess you could put it in the sunglasses holder, but I dont know much about it. they also make a 'foot petal' that works like a lanyard, dont know how well it would install..

2) airtank.
probably the easiest to install, fits great where the factory compressor would be. I have a gauge and a shutoff valve to the tank. I would go with the larger tank.. if you are going to get a dual horn. they are pretty air hungary... If you decide on a single horn... they you can get away with a smaller tank.
I went with the 14 inch long tank

3) horns
I think that these have to be mounted outside. inside they will be muted... plus they look sharp. of you dont have a bigger roof rack, then you are going to have to drill, not the end of the world. but something i would not have done. I have a gobi rack so I mounted it to that... if you dont have a rack, then maybe the best option is under the hood... then the realwheels is about as good as it is going to get.
I went with the wolo challenger Model 805
I would consider a longer set of hadley horns, they are the trucking standard.. the best.. but they will be long...

4) options
I have two airsources with quick connects. the realwheels setup has some goofy connection that is awkward, plus there is only one point to connect to and it is where the compressor is, which is under the hood. so to air up, you have to take off the winch (pain in the ass), open up the hood (pain in the ass), connect that goofy connection (pain in the ass), and then stretch that short air tubing to every tire (big pain in the ass.. it barely reaches the rear tires. I have front and rear quick disconnects.. look nice, easy... very easy.. I can air up in a fraction of time... plus, the guilty pleasure, when you disconnect them, you get this nice loud "puhfissh" which sounds awesome... it is a little thing, but it turns heads...

I feel bad.. I keep talking pics. and am being lazy.. I will try to scan them in tomorrow. I promise.

installation was relatively easy, you have to be patient, and creative depending on how much you want to do.. if I could do it again (and may) would put the compressor in the rear. I use the horn alot... so it has to kick on about every other day.. and when it is under the hood, you hear it kicking on. with a small tank.. that would be much more often...

the most difficult part was probably the lanyard... the wiring the tubing was easy, lengthy b/c the compressor and tank are on opposite ends...

unaslob

the great part of this add on, is that it is relatively cheap, but soo different
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about those siren boxes... I suspect it would be illegal to have one in your truck unless you were in law enforcement or emergency services.

I like the idea of the loud horn without the air - I just don't want the possibility of a hassle with the law somewhere on the road.

If HeeHaw is around it would be nice to get his opinion on what he would think or do if he stopped a vehicle with a police siren installed.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 AM

Centerfire is off the scale

They are correct. It is illegal in most states for a civilian to use a siren or emergency lights( In Indiana taht would be reds and blues). However in most states ( Check you local regs) it is not illegal to possess same..
I uses mine for LE purposes, However I installed one in my wifes and daughters vec. I put the squak box where it can not be reached and have it set for air horn only. They simply push factory horn button.. ON my vec. I use the Horn button also, except it will rotate from Air hore to welp, to hi-lo etc. depending the # of times I push horn button and for what duration.. Mine are all hidden as the vec I drive are not suppose to look like the Police..

Check out the many cop shop web sites .. you can find them.. There is also a company either Federal or Whelen that sells one with only the air horn option.

In fact I just back in from a call out.. I still do K9 search and rescue for the Dept.
Fortunatley my H2 is not fully ready to go.. I drove my SUb.. lets just say Sub 1... Deer 0.

Sub only has slight nick in the paint of the Bull Bar,

Good Luck on the air horns.

Mike

Mike
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2003, 02:02 AM

okay question fer ya....

Several of the H2 owners in our group have the strobe lights that only come on when they are in reverse...almost like an alert to those behind the vehicle in a parking lot. Is this okay? or Legal?

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:32 AM

HeeHaw is off the scale

If it has a bright white light to the rear when the back-up lights come on, then it is likely legal. Vehicle code is VERY SPECIFIC, must be a white light and they (back-up lights) can not be on when the vehicle is moving forward.

All others I suspect are illegal and I would write a citation for those.

Strobe lights are not LEGAL. Emergency use only and selected commercial use is probably allowed, back-hoes, bulldozer, school buses etc.............

Check your local or state VEHICLE CODES for the correct answers or laws..........

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 11-05-2003, 02:37 AM

HeeHaw is off the scale

If they are not on, no crime. If they are on, then it is a violation of the vehicle code...but, I wouldn't worry about it unless the tailgater is a cop.....not that I've ever tailgated anyone................ha ha

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 11-05-2003, 03:00 AM

Heehaw, I am only talking about these strobes coming on when the vehicle is in Reverse.....my hubby and I are medical personnel and are supposed to respond to disaster scenes. These strobes don't come on any other time...

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:14 AM

HeeHaw is off the scale

Hummergirl, in CA the VEHICLE CODE states no one can operate a motor vehicle with strobes for the exception of authorized emergency personnel. Out here, that means fire, coroner, police and emergency higway personnel like CALTRANS or tow-trucks.

Backup strobes are PROBABLY OK over there in GA! Out here, there are probably overlooked unless they are abused.

In GA, which is where I think you live, it may be different. On the east coast and in the midwest, trained civilans are volunteers with such things as volunteer fire departments and such. Those situations probably allow certain people to equip PERSONAL vehicles with such lights to respond to these emergencies.

I would check with the police department in your local area.

But keep in mind, in your area IF such lights are not abused, they may not cause un-do concern...............but I would check it out

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 11-05-2003, 03:28 AM

HeeHaw is off the scale

Hummergirl, are you two doctors? If not, in what capacity are you in the medical field? My girlfriend is also in the medical field as well..........

see ya later............bedtime.....

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 AM

I am a Respiratory Therapist...we're the ones that come running with that tube to stick down ya throat so ya can breathe LOL!!! And DH is an ER doc.

~amy
White 2003 H2
Got Soap?
Old 11-05-2003, 11:36 AM

HeeHaw
Is correct. in most states the use of strobes by civilians is illegal. Unless for volunteer fireman or road crews, etc.. Now this is Indiana Code, as Hee Haw stated, check you local code and dig deep. Because where one code giveth , another may taketh away.

You must becareful with them , very few things tick off an officer more thenfinding someone we percieve as someone who is pretendin g to be a cop!.

Mike
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM

Out here we call them "S.O.B" lights. THey are for the next Sum of a Bitch following behind you with their Brights on. I haven't finished the light arrangement on my H2, I still can't decied what I want or where. MY SUb has 7 rearward overhead lights. DOes a fine job of lighting up where I've been.

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
So I guess that means that it's illegal to blind tailgaters with the spots at the back of my gobi at night. There aimed down a bit, right at tailgater windshield level. Not that I have ever done that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 PM

unaslob is off the scale

an intersting BTW... on train horns.. if you are going to install a REAL train horn, as in one that came off a train, depending on the horn, that is a FEDERAL offense, and it carries a 10,000 dollar fine!! I know, b/c I had to look into it.
I bought a Nathan K-5-H, very large, very loud 5 chime horn, it accepts a 1/2 pipe for air. I purchased a 135PSI 25 gallon aircompressor for it. ran a 12 foot 1/2 inch pipe to it with a ball valve at the compressor end... now the horn can operate to 140PSI, with custom ear plugs and noise canceling flight headset... I can still only get it upto about 100PSI without being physically hurt. it is incredible.. it can be heard over 5 miles away!!! there are a number of companies that make 'train horns' but they are not off of a locomotive or ever intended for one.

I am current working on a remote controlled servo to turn the thing off and on so I can better appreciate it from a distance
unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to borrow that unaslob. My next door neighbor has a friend that comes every morning to pick him up for school and lays on the horn. My wife went out and asked him to tone it down a bit & he gave her attitude. Mind you this happens at 6:30am and wakes my kids up every day.

A couple nice blasts from that in the middle of the night would fix 'em!

- Dan

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 11 months down, 7 to go!
-------------------------------------------------
Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM

SRFCASTR is off the scale

unaslob

Thanks for the "How To"!!!

Some quick Qs:
- What is the URL of COMPONENT PARTS?
- You went with a 14" tank, would you go bigger?
- Where is the "where the factory compressor would be"? What Factory Compressor?
- Which Hadleys would you go for, The 984s?
- Where in the rear would you put the compressor?

Looking forward to you pics of the horns on the Gobi and the install of both compressor and tank.

SRFCASTR
Old 11-05-2003, 07:07 PM

unaslob is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> - What is the URL of COMPONENT PARTS?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.componentproductsgroup.com/

i would call them, they are very easy to deal with on the phone. tell them that you want the compressor that is made for the h2, and is sold by realwheels... they will know which one to get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> - You went with a 14" tank, would you go bigger?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

depends on use. the 14 inch tank i think is plenty, if you do a ton of offroading, and am always airing up, then maybe go for a bigger tank.. but not really necessary.. 14 inch is plenty i think.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:23 PM

unaslob is off the scale

sorry accidently hit post now... to continue

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> - Where is the "where the factory compressor would be"? What Factory Compressor?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the adventure package has an air compressor mounted underneath the rear bumper, take a look under there and you will see the mounts for it.. they kept them there.. or run down to the h2 dealer and take a look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> - Which Hadleys would you go for, The 984s? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that kit is two of the same length horn.. so it will be in stereo... only one pitch... i would get the H00859 kit... that kit has a 19" and 22" horn... would harmonize quite nicely and have a deep enough pitch... (i might make the switch...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> - Where in the rear would you put the compressor?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are alot of nifty places you could put it in the rear... i would have to take a better look.. i dunno why i was hell bent on keeping it under the hood.. i think it was still that realwheels mentality I was having that it was the way it was supposed to be... a bit close minded on my part.

tring to get pics up unaslob
Old 11-05-2003, 07:23 PM

smoked H2 is off the scale

I have a fire truck horn on my H2 which needs a compressor to run the horn . It is the loadest and the baddest horn out there. I've avoided many accidents just by honking and letting people know my prescence.