H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

mwrbunny is on a distinguished road
Default Rancho Steering Stabilizer

Is there a past thread with step by step instructions on installing Rancho Steering Stabilizer? Can this be done without lifting the beast overhead?

Reading some of the past threads, I may have jumped the gun buying the mounting bracket......but is there a special tool to pull stock shock anchor pin?

If I can handle this in my driveway, I'd prefer to save the money.

Any info would be helpful....
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Rancho Steering Stabilizer

just as a follow up......I called Rancho to find out why they put that extra metal sleeve in the box, and they said it was for a Jeep application (apparantly a Jeep model uses same RS5407 shock so they put in parts for both H2 & Jeep applications)

But, interesting, the tech on the phone said NOT to use the new pin provided in OEM hole for H2......and to use the bracket kit. I told him that H2 owners "in the know" were recommending putting Rancho pin in OEM hole.

Again, he said that the pin was provided for a Jeep application.......H2 owners should use bracket. He sounded pretty adamant, but I figured anyone might sound like a arse after answering stupid questions all day...

using the bracket might be easier than trying to pull that OEM pin out with a pitman puller (which I don't have.)

Comments needed. Thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Hey I am due for a new steering stabilizer REALLY BAD. Let me know if its really that much better than stock? What tire/lift set up are you running?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well, tonight I got the shocks on with no problem. Then I moved onto the steering stabilizer...got the skid plate off no problem.....but couldn't get that damn stabilizer shock pin out of the idler arm. (or whatever the hell that arm is called!) hit it with a hammer, leveraged it with a crowbar....no way...not enough space, and didn't want to do any damage. And, I now see that the shock end and pin are all one piece.....so I can't just abandon the old pin and use the bracket like I was hoping. Oh well, I just left the skid plate off and I'll run it in to a shop next week to let a mechanic with a pitman puller do it.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

went down this morning and slipped the mechanic at the goodyear shop $20 to get that OEM stabilizer shock off. well worth it.

New stabilizer in now.....everything feels nice and tight. $300 better?! (for 2 shocks and steering stabilizer)....probably not for just street driving....but it was a good project...and probably a good idea since I just put on tires that are slightly wider and taller than stock. The new top bushings on the RS9000XLs were probably the biggest improvement. The stock ones (on stock shocks) were pretty well worn after 85K miles

I ended up using that pin they supplied.....it was just too perfect. I don't know why Rancho says not to do it.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

lx4life is on a distinguished road

Do you have any instructions on how you did it, maybe pics. How much was the steering stabilizer and where did you get it from?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Hummer Professional

Lucky1 is off the scale

MWRBunny thanks for following up on all your posts. It really helps other forum members when you post the results of your mods. That's what this forum is all about.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

I bought the stabilizer and bracket on Amazon. I will now return the bracket as it wasn't needed. Stabilizer was $54. No pics (sorry, it's all buttoned up now)....but you can search the forum and get a couple. I have to admit the ride is very nice with the new shocks and stabilizer. Very firm but smooth.