H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Ok, I got back from Dallas yesterday after attending training on the H3 along with a comparison of the Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, and Jeep Cherokee. Here is a brief overview.

On road Manners:
H3 = Good ride, not much road noise responsive to throttle but not a race car either. Downshifted and passed with no trouble.

Explorer = (Rental car for the 2 days we were there was an Explorer and I will throw in on road comparison of it) Ride was good as well, terrible instrument layout and the oddest door lock position I have seen. VERY little leg room in the back. It did have a third row in the back that maybe kids under 2ft tall could use. Seats were comfortable. Stereo marginal. On road power felt very similar to H3.

Toyota 4Runner = Good ride, nice interior. Not real impressed with 4WD knob layout. It is a twist knob on the lower left of the dash. Center locking transfer case. Power was slightly better on road than the H3 ( mainly noticable whne you get the engine rev'd up). Quite ride, decent interior. Has 3rd row seat that I am not sure anyone can fit in.

Nissan Pathfinder = The best ride of the bunch, also the most power throughout the band on the road. Interior designed well and modestly luxurious. Handling was also the best on road. Much larger turn radius than the H3 though.

Jeep Cherokee = Ride was good, power good. Interior space was terrible though. The passenger front side is WAY to tight. I am not very tall (5' 8") and I had only an inch or so above my head. The worst part though was the dash on that side. It had a ridge that comes out a little above what is knee height on me. The end result is that I had only a couple of inches between my knees and the dash. The windsheild also has a strong rake to it that makes it feel like it is sloping right toward you. If you are even slightly claustrophobic then stay away from this.

Off Road:
Toyota 4Runner = Not enough ground clearance, larger turn radius, too large a front overhang. Lacking in gearing as well. Best crawl ratio is 33.5:1 this makes a noticable difference in the ability to climb and clear obstacles. Drug the sides and front on several occasions even going over a smaller, easier offroad course than the H3

Nissan Pathfinder = Even more clearance issues than the 4Runner. Crawl ratio of 33.8:1 makes the HP edge go away. Largest turn radius of the group. slightly better feel than the 4Runner on the side slopes.

Jeep Cherokee = Uniframe design shows how it is more a "Trailrated" car than an offroad vehicle. Engine and has tank sheilds are PLASTIC. Has only a single speed tranfer case. Groun dclearance is better than the 4Runner or Pathfinder but still has too much overhang. Had a lot of trouble with this one getting stuck. had to pull it out with the H3. (pictures included)

H3 = Climbs like a mountain goat. The two speed tranfer case along with teh aggresive gearing gives the smallest crawl ratio of 36.8:1 and different combinations of 45.1:1, 56.2:1 and up to 68.9:1. These really allow you to put the power to the ground. The specifically made Borg Warner T-case really performs well and as I said allows you to climb like a mountain goat. It actually climbs easier than the H2 by a significant margin. The tight turn radius is alos much appreciated off road (especially for any of you who have had to try and guide an H2 Through some tight trees or boulders). The biggest fault I can find with the H3 is that the Locking rear Diff only comes in the Adventure Package. It does make a big difference so if you do want to off road make sure that you get the Adv. Package.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Ok, I got back from Dallas yesterday after attending training on the H3 along with a comparison of the Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, and Jeep Cherokee. Here is a brief overview.

On road Manners:
H3 = Good ride, not much road noise responsive to throttle but not a race car either. Downshifted and passed with no trouble.

Explorer = (Rental car for the 2 days we were there was an Explorer and I will throw in on road comparison of it) Ride was good as well, terrible instrument layout and the oddest door lock position I have seen. VERY little leg room in the back. It did have a third row in the back that maybe kids under 2ft tall could use. Seats were comfortable. Stereo marginal. On road power felt very similar to H3.

Toyota 4Runner = Good ride, nice interior. Not real impressed with 4WD knob layout. It is a twist knob on the lower left of the dash. Center locking transfer case. Power was slightly better on road than the H3 ( mainly noticable whne you get the engine rev'd up). Quite ride, decent interior. Has 3rd row seat that I am not sure anyone can fit in.

Nissan Pathfinder = The best ride of the bunch, also the most power throughout the band on the road. Interior designed well and modestly luxurious. Handling was also the best on road. Much larger turn radius than the H3 though.

Jeep Cherokee = Ride was good, power good. Interior space was terrible though. The passenger front side is WAY to tight. I am not very tall (5' 8") and I had only an inch or so above my head. The worst part though was the dash on that side. It had a ridge that comes out a little above what is knee height on me. The end result is that I had only a couple of inches between my knees and the dash. The windsheild also has a strong rake to it that makes it feel like it is sloping right toward you. If you are even slightly claustrophobic then stay away from this.

Off Road:
Toyota 4Runner = Not enough ground clearance, larger turn radius, too large a front overhang. Lacking in gearing as well. Best crawl ratio is 33.5:1 this makes a noticable difference in the ability to climb and clear obstacles. Drug the sides and front on several occasions even going over a smaller, easier offroad course than the H3

Nissan Pathfinder = Even more clearance issues than the 4Runner. Crawl ratio of 33.8:1 makes the HP edge go away. Largest turn radius of the group. slightly better feel than the 4Runner on the side slopes.

Jeep Cherokee = Uniframe design shows how it is more a "Trailrated" car than an offroad vehicle. Engine and has tank sheilds are PLASTIC. Has only a single speed tranfer case. Groun dclearance is better than the 4Runner or Pathfinder but still has too much overhang. Had a lot of trouble with this one getting stuck. had to pull it out with the H3. (pictures included)

H3 = Climbs like a mountain goat. The two speed tranfer case along with teh aggresive gearing gives the smallest crawl ratio of 36.8:1 and different combinations of 45.1:1, 56.2:1 and up to 68.9:1. These really allow you to put the power to the ground. The specifically made Borg Warner T-case really performs well and as I said allows you to climb like a mountain goat. It actually climbs easier than the H2 by a significant margin. The tight turn radius is alos much appreciated off road (especially for any of you who have had to try and guide an H2 Through some tight trees or boulders). The biggest fault I can find with the H3 is that the Locking rear Diff only comes in the Adventure Package. It does make a big difference so if you do want to off road make sure that you get the Adv. Package.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

Excellent review HoKC! Thanks for that, it is much appreciated. The H3 as a Jeep rescue vehicle? I like that idea.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Great review KC thanks.

FYI, my mom told me she saw one running around KC yesterday. Must be one you guys sold

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

Well I guess when I get mine I'll have to get the Jeep recovery sticker too.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

hah! Where can you find those stickers? I'm headed to the training monday -- KC, any tips for this particular course?

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

No, it is pretty straight forward. The course should be a little more interesting by then though because we were there on the first day and it should get worn more by the time you go.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

Cool -- headed there tomorrow morning...hopefully you left me some trails that aren't completly rutted out...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Hummer Professional

oneworld is off the scale

Thanks for the reviews HoKC, always look forwaqrd to your posts, I want a sticker to for my H3, Jeep recovery vehicle,
Old 06-06-2005, 02:20 AM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummer Guy:
hah! Where can you find those stickers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$6 each, 1 week for shipping.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 AM

skeeter is off the scale

Hey HoKC, Thanks for the info. Where in the Dallas area is this training course, I would like to take my H3 though it as well. I do have the adventure package. Please let me know if they will allow me to go there. Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Great pics. Do you have pics of the H3 going through the same obstacle the JP got stuck in?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

HoKC, did you meet Jennifer from MS. She was there and said she sank an H2, or something. She said she stuck something good.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

There was a Jennifer in the Second group I think. I did not go out with them though. I did not get any pictures of the H3's going through the same spot because we were all still driving at that point. It was hard to get pictures because they kept us moving most of the time except for driver swaps.

The course is south of Cresson on a private Motorsports Ranch. I do not think they will let the public on it due to liability issues.