H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-23-2003, 01:54 AM

Allen is off the scale

I noticed that R2 listed front lockers amongst other items that he has used to make his H2 his own. Where did/do you get front lockers for the H2 and how much $$$, who can put them on?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:54 AM

Allen is off the scale

I noticed that R2 listed front lockers amongst other items that he has used to make his H2 his own. Where did/do you get front lockers for the H2 and how much $$$, who can put them on?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Isn't that what the TC2 button is for?

Where have you been man?????
Old 11-25-2003, 06:33 PM

Allen is off the scale

Actually I do not believe it is. TC2 cuts power to the spinning wheel. Front lockers - lock both wheels so they have equal power going to both wheels. Furthermore I do not believe TC2 is the same as true front lockers becuase R2 had front lockers put on his Hummer.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Steve was trying to be funny.

- Dan

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 11 months down, 7 to go!
-------------------------------------------------
Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 PM

Frank Hewitt is off the scale

The H2 has the ability to lock out the rear diffs, but not the front. Right?

gasman
Old 11-25-2003, 10:57 PM

Allen is off the scale

Dan- Oh

Kidding, I know he was...trying
Old 11-25-2003, 10:58 PM

Allen is off the scale

Frank - That is correct, but R2 had front lockers put on his
Old 11-25-2003, 11:05 PM

Paul L is off the scale

Just air down

http://www.carpentryasanart.com
Old 11-25-2003, 11:06 PM

Allen is off the scale

Seriously, does anyone know where to get front lockers for an H2?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:11 PM

alecs wife is off the scale

Yes! Tracktion control cannot lock the front end.. The lockers provide me with a true positive lock.

I installed the Eaton E-Locker 9.2. It uses a push-in button like the rear. Locker $650 install $750

Tracktion control is ok but, you cannot depend on it. I do enough off-roading to justify a front locker ( and I mean hardcore )

I have been offroad every weekend for 2 months.

I love this thing!!!!

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 11-25-2003, 11:12 PM

Paul L is off the scale

I was in VT with a H1, we were climbing a stepped part of a steep trail (1' to 2' steps) I did it without airing down & had to beat on my H2 to do it. He aired down & drove up it like he was on pavement, so I aired down & did it again & did it as easy as him. It just seem to me that buying lockers for the front is a waste of time & money

Old 11-25-2003, 11:18 PM

Allen is off the scale

Thank you R2 and Paul L for the valuable information!!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:23 PM

A locker is designed to assist when you only have 3 or two tires on the ground. Like v ditches, were you have to approach at an angle. Maybe going up a rock hill were you only have tracktion on the front tires and one rear.

I will say steps on a high tracktion surface can be done with no lockers given no uneven surfaces. You understand!!!!

Get lockers if you realy want to conqure tough areas without worries about what wheel will be receiving torque.

Allow your driveing to screw you up not the Truck.

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 PM

PS....

It is standard practice to air down anytime you go wheeling!!!!

Just a thought.

R2

Old 11-26-2003, 01:35 AM

Paul L is off the scale

just busting your chops R2

Old 11-26-2003, 01:53 AM

Yea!!! I hear ya....

Front locker online

Old 11-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey Dan,

You're right. If this is the Allen I think it is....he showed up at our Rowher Trail event and tried blasting up a really steep hill. He failed on his first attempt and I consulted with him on his selection of t-case modes and other stuff. He indicated to me that he had the front-locker "ON"...so I told him he had no front locker and only a rear locker. He then looked confused and gestured to his TC2 button and.....you can imagine the rest. He did make it up that hill on his next try!!!

I've considered a front-locker. There are 2 things I have no seen discussed here....so let's crack the books and chew the fat:

First, the traction control can in fact simulate a locker-like effect. If driven carefully and you understand the dynamics of your traction control system...then you can sorta work with your TC and almost stop/reduce the wheels from spinning. I consider the TC system 1/2-a-locker.....it's about half-way as effective as a true locker.

Bear in mind we still have a locker in the rear and the rear does most the work. Still...I've found situations where a front-locker would realy be nice. Particularly in this instance:

Often you want to crawl or creep over stuff. The tires may be up against a rock or small boulder: if you apply more and more power the tire will come up and over the rock...but you tend to "pop" or jump up when you finally get enough power to get up that obstacle. I've seen many people keep pushing on the gas and then literally thrust up and over the rock...only to come crashing down on their frame or rock rail cause they sorta overshot the rock. I'm sure you offroaders know exactly what I mean!!!

The H2 can be like a giant freakin' marshmellow. The rock won't budge so people just keep giving it more and more power...the tire starts to climb...and just as quickly you get on top of the rock and lurch forward! NO GOOD!!!

Sometimes you want to get right on top of that rock/boulder and re-direct your heading. Control is critical!!!!

The primiere technique I use is to apply braking and modulate the gas with the brake to create a very slow and solid progression forward. I slowly and deliberately creep up and on top of that rock: control!!!!

Here's the catch with our TC's: if you touch your brake...all TC functions are OFFLINE!!!! Now you've got nothing but an open differential in the front: one wheel slips/spins and it's all over for the front pulling!!!!

TC and braking can't work at the same time. A locker would resolve this issue and allow someone to seriously crawl, creep and maintain exquisite control...all the while having total turning of all 4 tires.

Front locker...a waste of money??? HELL NO!!!!! I've been waiting for one to come out and it would seem my ship has come in!!!!! I'm in line! Tell me more R2

What else you got going on with your rig???? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:22 AM

RockYoda is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul L:
It just seem to me that buying lockers for the front is a waste of time & money<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Than you don't wheel hard enough!

Steve, you hit the nail right on the head!

Lets get one thing straight. True lockers give the driver control over wheel spin. Traction control gives the computer control over wheel spin. Who do you want to be in charge?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

We have lockers in a super stock Chevy pulling truck and usually put the 15.5" wide wranglers on for playing in the snow.
A few times get it stuck on top of big drifts.
If we can shovel enough to get any tire on the ground it comes right out, easy on the gas.
W/ TC the 3 tires are spinning and when it engages the 4th tire it is usually too fast and will break the traction it had, so STILL stuck.

Both lockers are the only way to fly.

I want to be in charge!

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.