H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

ingydrummer is on a distinguished road
Default Key will not turn in ignition switch

So, I wake up this morning and get ready for work, got into the Hummer and put the key in the switch but can't turn the key to start the truck. I have done all the normal things like turning the wheel, and jiggling the key but nothing! How the hell does this just suddenly happen? I missed a day of work for a bad switch. Now looking to see if anyone else has had this happen to them. Mine is a 2003???
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Key will not turn in ignition switch

Did you happen to loose power or anything?
Sometimes the battery dropping power will lock up the system.

Try pulling the steering wheel column cover, under the column on the right side (as you face it) will be a lock release button. Push that in and turn the key.

Let me know if this helps
or we might have to ook at something else
Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks jsbihn, I will try that tomorrow. I just finished fixing both of my daughter's cars and I was not monitoring the forum. I did however start another thread about how to remove the covers over and under steering wheel. I don't want to screw anything else up and was not sure how to get these apart so I gave up and went to work on the kids cars. Now that Im done with that, I can focus on the Hummer. Its gonna be weird driving my daughters car to work tomorrow..lol
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

I forgot to mention, I did not lose power. I just hopped in the truck this morning and the key would not turn. Its almost like the wrong key being put in the ignition. This really is troubling because I am starting my Vacation at the end of the week and now I have no truck to drive.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Cannot Be Rotated in the Steering Column Lock Cylinder - kw inoperative stuck - (Jan 17, 2005)
Subject: 99-05 Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC/Hummer All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Ignition Key Cannot Be Rotated in Steering Column Lock Cylinder

Models: .

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service VME
Some ignition key cylinders may not be able to rotate in the ignition cylinder housing because of a dirt build-up inside of the key tumbler housing. Very often a "Lint" type of build-up (over time) is found in the tumbler housing restricting the movement of the tumblers and not allowing the side bar on the outside of the housing to fully retract when the key is inserted into the lock cylinder. Before replacing the ignition cylinder and housing assembly, the tumblers may be able to be freed up temporarily in order for the key to rotate so the lock cylinder can be removed for cleaning. Using compressed air (60 PSI max.), or an aerosol can of Brake-Kleen, place the nozzle of the air gun or nozzle of the aerosol can at the entrance of the key cylinder. Give it a couple of short blasts of air or cleaner into the key housing. Insert the key and try to rotate the lock cylinder. This procedure may have to be repeated a couple of times to dislodge the debris. If successful, remove the key cylinder and disassemble noting the position of the key code tumblers in their respective slots for reassembly purposes. Clean the key cylinder with Brake Kleen or equivalent solvent and reassemble the key cylinder. Lightly oil the inside of the key cylinder with multipurpose lubricant. However, some key cylinders and housing assemblies may need to be replaced because of casting flash in the tumbler areas and interferes with tumbler activity and cannot be dislodged using the cleaning method. ( Note: Check for a slightly bent key as this has been known to bind the ignition lock cylinder also.)

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Hummer Authority

The steering column covers just pull apart starting with the bottom one. Need to be careful yet aggressive at the same time. Much easier if you remove steering wheel first but can be done without removing wheel.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks HUMTECH, Im going to dig into it when I get home from work today. I will post results then, again thanks for everyone's imput.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM

HT,
You know me... I will not disagree with you, but doesnt the column cover have 2 screws in them and can be removed without ANY interference from the steering wheel?

I know when I had to pop that stupid solenoid, I just unscrewed a couple off screws and popped the tabs out and down she fell.

ingy, HT is the man, the guru, one of the reasons Elcova is awesome.
I kneel before Zod
Honestly didnt know about the "lint issue". Damn!
I have never seen a car have so many gremlins. But I love it.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

jsbihn, I looked under the column at the bottom cover and there are holes but there are not any screw heads in there just empty space? About the tilt knob, does this just pull out of the column or is it attached another way?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have everything apart and I still can't get this key to turn in the ignition. I start my vacation today and now Im screwed cause I have no way of driving anywhere. Any other suggestion's?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Well sounds like the lock cylinder has fallen apart, does it feel rough when you put the key in? You can try to force it to turn. Put the key in and if I remember right should be able to get vice grips on outside edge of cylinder. Get them real tight and try to force it to rotate. Or cut a v notch in end of cylinder and use a chisel and hammer to try and force it around. If it goes then you will be able to remove ignition cylinder from housing and get a new one. Any gm dealer can supply and code a new one for you so original keys will work.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Hummer Authority

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement
Removal Procedure

Object ID: 375970Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices.

 1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

 2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
 3. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the start position.
Important: In order to remove the upper trim cover and lock cylinder you will need to release the lock cylinder retaining pin in the access hole of the ignition lock cylinder case.

 4. Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement.
Gently lift the upper trim cover so you may Insert the tip of an awl into the access hole (1) of the ignition lock cylinder case.

 5. Push down and hold the retaining pin of the ignition lock cylinder.
 6. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the run position.
Object ID: 375305Click here for detailed picture of the image.

 7. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling the cylinder away from the steering column.
Installation Procedure

Object ID: 375309Click here for detailed picture of the image.

 1. Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement.
 2. Install the ignition lock cylinder by performing the following procedure:
2.1. Align the positioning locking tab slot on the ignition lock cylinder case to the positioning tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
2.2. Push the lock cylinder in until the tab locks in the ignition lock cylinder case.
 3. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
 4. Connect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
 5. Perform the Passlock learn procedure. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Hummer Authority

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Programming Replacement Passlock? Sensor, BCM, or PCM
Important:

?The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration.
?If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn passlock? sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
?If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.
Conditions
Use this procedure after replacing:

?Passlock? Sensor
?BCM
?PCM
Learn Procedures
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

?A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
?A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.
10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
?Tech 2
?Techline terminal with current Service Programming System (SPS) software
 1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
 2. Select ?Request Information? under ?Service Programming?.
 3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
 4. On the techline terminal, select ?Theft Module Re-Learn? under ?Service Programming?.
 5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
 6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
 7. Select ?VTD Re-Learn? under ?Service Programming?.
 8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
 9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock? Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
11. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
12. With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.
30 Minute Learn Procedure
 1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
 2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
 3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
 4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock? Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock? Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

 6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock? Sensor Data Code and/or password.
 7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
HT,
You know me... I will not disagree with you, but doesnt the column cover have 2 screws in them and can be removed without ANY interference from the steering wheel?

I know when I had to pop that stupid solenoid, I just unscrewed a couple off screws and popped the tabs out and down she fell.

ingy, HT is the man, the guru, one of the reasons Elcova is awesome.
I kneel before Zod
Honestly didnt know about the "lint issue". Damn!
I have never seen a car have so many gremlins. But I love it.
You are right, some did have screws and some didn't
Old 06-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the reply HUMTECH. It seems that Im going to have to force it to move to the on position. Im just afraid that I would break something in the housing and this would cause me even more problems than just replacing the cylinder. This just sucks being that Im two days late for being at my vacation home at the jersey shore now and god know's how much more time Im going to lose because of this situation. Thanks again for everyone who replied to my calling.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 PM

HT,
Yeah, I had this column apart and lost some of the screws.... thats how I knew because my column covers keeps separating just a little bit since I havent found the repacement for the screws.

Yeah the column covers have these tabs that are a bit of a joke, but help hold the two pieces together.

Ingy,
I would call a discount parts dealer for OEM parts (or maybe even get it from NAPA???) and then just do it yourself. 115 an hour is a bit steep for something that should probably take you 20 minutes.
Of course, if you live in the GWN, I say bring it to HT. It worth the 115 just to have him touch your rig.