H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

TouchdownTN is off the scale

With all the posts lately about the PAC interfaces, I remembered a earlier post about a interface that allows aux inputs into the factory radio. Has anyone heard anything else about these. I would like to add Satellite Radio but don't want to use a FM Modulator. I am also interested in pricing if anyone has already ordered the interface that allows an aftermarket amplifier to be added to the OEM head unit. Thanks everyone!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options and Brush Guard Lights. Go Vols!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

With all the posts lately about the PAC interfaces, I remembered a earlier post about a interface that allows aux inputs into the factory radio. Has anyone heard anything else about these. I would like to add Satellite Radio but don't want to use a FM Modulator. I am also interested in pricing if anyone has already ordered the interface that allows an aftermarket amplifier to be added to the OEM head unit. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-20-2003, 12:08 PM

NSXer is off the scale

I have still been unable to find one. I've talked with PAC and they say they don't have a unit for the H2. Evidently, to work, the headunit must have an outboard slave.... like a external CD changer. I'll let you know if I find one.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:45 PM

1stHummer is off the scale

The PAC and Peripheral interfaces:

http://www.go2pac.com/products/aai.htm

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/aux_in.asp

require, as NSXer noted, a working slave unit (I have no idea why) to allow AUX input to the GM bus.

Roy
Old 06-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Would using an aftermarket CD Changer count as a slave unit or does it have to be a OEM Changer, etc?

Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 PM

NSXer is off the scale

it would have to be oem to work with the PAC unit
Old 06-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Regarding the interface of preamp level audio sources to a 2003 GM Class II factory radio without a slave unit: I just received a message from VP of sales, Robert Wilson, of PAC and he advised that they are "working on it right now actually". He further advised that we are "probably looking at between 60-90 to be realistic" and to check their website for updates.

PAC Website Link

Speaking for myself, it can't be finished too soon!

Ed
Old 06-21-2003, 02:28 PM

HappyJack is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGoodHummerMan:
Regarding the interface of preamp level audio sources to a 2003 GM Class II factory radio __without__ a slave unit: . . .
Ed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, is there any advantage to removing the slave unit( the Bose amp? ) other than just recovering the space it is taking up?

I am assuming you know PAC is releasing the line level interface very soon. I can not wait to get mine either.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wannabeinit:
"Ed, is there any advantage to removing the slave unit (the Bose amp?) other than just recovering the space it is taking up? I am assuming you know PAC is releasing the line level interface very soon. I can not wait to get mine either."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know what you mean. It is my understanding that the basic H2's Bose head unit/amp/stereo system which is directly interfaced with the OnStar system comes in four basic flavors:

1) The Bose head unit w/ the integral single disc CD changer.
2) The Bose head unit w/ the integral 6-disc CD changer.
3) The Bose head unit w/ factory-installed (slave) DVD.
4) The Bose head unit w/ factory-installed (slave) satelite radio system.

PAC already has an auxilliary input device yhat will work if you have #3 or #4 but is still working on the auxilliary input adapter for non-slave equipped Bose stereos. I don't want to replace the Bose head unit but I would like to be able to use my MP3 player without resorting to an FM-modulator, which is why I am anxiously awaiting PAC's new auxilliary input device that is supposed to be available within the next 60 to 90 days?

I guess it's easy to remove the Bose head and replace it with a different head unit that has auxilliary inputs --- but I don't want to do anything so drastic. I don't know how much the Bose 6-disc changer unit cost me, but I'm sure it wasn't "cheap". The stock Bose sounds pretty good and is powerful enough for me too. I just want to be able to access the thousands of MP3s that I have on my Creative Labs Jukebox 3.

If anything, it seems pretty lousy that the GM system doesn't come standard with auxillary inputs that function. The head unit even has an "AUX" position built-in to it. But, apparently it is only useable by them at this point?

Or, maybe I have things confused? If so please set me straight!

Ed
Old 06-21-2003, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand. I too would like to have an aux input for DVD and mp3 sources.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

As I understand it, the one that PAC is almost (60-90 days) finished developing will offer two stereo inputs so you can use it to connect both your DVD and MP3 devices...

I guess that the currently available auxilliary input adapter that PAC makes will work if the Bose has the slave unit(s) (either factory installed DVD or satelite radio) because those head units do not have the aux capability disabled the way the units (like my 6-disc CD changer unit) without factory installed slave devices do???

Anyways, I am TRYING to wait patiently.

Ed
Old 06-21-2003, 05:01 PM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

Don't hold your breath on the PAC adapter. Every single outfit I've called (Blitzsafe, PIE, Etc) says they will be coming out with such an adapter in 60-90 days...and I've been calling them since I got my H2 in September of 2002.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OUSUCKS:
"Don't hold your breath on the PAC adapter. Every single outfit I've called (Blitzsafe, PIE, Etc) says they will be coming out with such an adapter in 60-90 days...and I've been calling them since I got my H2 in September of 2002."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GASP!!!

Wow, thanks... I was getting dizzy.

Back when I got my H2 in Mid-April, I heard that PAC would have an aux input by sometime this summer. This week I heard that they are "actually" working on it, which seems most encouraging --- but that realistically it will probably be 60 to 90 days before it's available.

Since I don't have a clue how to make one myself, or what's required to get the Bose to accept an input from my MP3 player --- I will just have to keep holding my breath, I'm afraid.

Ed

A watched pot never boils.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:05 PM

Tom3 is off the scale

YO, any new info on this? Who is the contact at PAC? Is there a pending part #?
Maybe post their e-mail so I can hassle them as well to solve the problem.

thx
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

I spoke to PAC this past Friday. The lady that answered the phone said that the company is actually actively working on them NOW. She gave me the standard 60 days reply on both the interface to add a aftermarket amp and the interface for the aux input. Anyone know how much PAC's interfaces usually cost. I bought a similar interface to connect a amp to my 99 EB Expedition for right about $10. Very simple install!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options,Brush Guard Lights, and Sylvania Silverstars. Go Vols!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

I think I read it to be around $150. do a search on pac
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 PM

http://www.soundgate.com/products/cd/hummer.htm

Cheers

[ formerly known as wannabe and wannabeinit ]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:32 PM

2slo4now is off the scale

Hey HappyJack

I got an e-mail from soundgate today indicating that the module is not available yet. Typical electronics supplier. They have a product description and a part number but have not been able to build a product yet. Maybe if everyone emails them they might get the idea that they will be in high demand.

Dan from Alabama
Old 08-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

I have also emailed them. I got a reply and went into greater detail about what I thought the product was like. I have never gotten a reply from the 2'nd email which was over 2 weeks ago. I may wait on the PAC device. I am waiting to hear about HappyJack's experience with the amp interface also.

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options,Brush Guard Lights, and Sylvania Silverstars. Go Vols!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:32 AM

2slo4now is off the scale

Still have not heard anything. Has anyone else?

Dan from Alabama