H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

Changing out my tires in a few weeks and been doing some reasearch. BFGoodrich has a new "MOAB" Edition MT tire. It touts excellent on or off-road behaviour even on snow and ice in comparison to the regular BFG M/Ts which are not rated so well on wet pavement. It's apparently new to the market but mabye someone here has them already to post some kind of review. Thanks.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-A...ay_~full_specs
Attached Images

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Hummer Messiah

Hey guys,

Changing out my tires in a few weeks and been doing some reasearch. BFGoodrich has a new "MOAB" Edition MT tire. It touts excellent on or off-road behaviour even on snow and ice in comparison to the regular BFG M/Ts which are not rated so well on wet pavement. It's apparently new to the market but mabye someone here has them already to post some kind of review. Thanks.

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Thai is off the scale

That's strange...this "edition" is not even on the BFG website nor in it's newsroom:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...chive_2005.jsp
Old 05-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm... MOAB Edition. They must know my hot button right now.

After having MTRs(great tires, but one always seems to wear faster than the others) and Iroks(amazing off-roading tires, but with 3/5 tread left they are very noisy and nearly impossible to balance without taping a brick in the wheel) I think I'm going to give these a shot:
http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/off_road/opmt.html
They'll soon be available in a 35x12.50x17.
Any opinions?
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thai:
That's strange...this "edition" is not even on the BFG website nor in it's newsroom:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...chive_2005.jsp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is weird. Not even a mention.

It does mention promotional testing during an EJS event. Mabye this was their end result.

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-08-2005, 04:18 PM

hummerNCO is off the scale

I've been reading all the posts here that I could find about tires and eyeing the pictures for the past month trying to decide what I'll buy next. I still have the stock A/T's with 30k and they have plenty of tread for now but I'd like to go to a 37".

I really lik the look of the IROKs on DRTYFN's truck but I do a lot of driving between LA and Tahoe so I don't think I want tires that are noisy and hard to balance. It looks like I keep going back to either the BFG A/T or MT.

I do so much of my driving in the rain in LA and the snow in Tahoe that I think the A/T may be the better choice but when driving in some rocky terrain around Reno my stock A/T's got some good gouges in the sides. Does the A/T tend to gouge easily compared to others?

The MOAB edition of the MT sounds like it would be just the ticket if it really exists. That Toyo Open Country MT looks great but the only 37 for the 17" wheel listed is 37X13.5 and from all I've read here that's too wide for stock.

Hey DRTYFN do you prefer to run 35"? I'm curious what your opinion is of 35 vs 37.

I'll be looking for future posts from you guys on the MOAB BFG MT and the Toyo Open Country MT if you get them.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Looks like a regular BFG MT, I doubt they would actually make a different version of the same tire, but you never know. The BFG MT is a well respected tire with a good rep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what bothers me too. Why advertise here...

...and not have it on the product line up on BFG's site? I'm going to be making some calls tommorrow. I'll post any findings. Like NCO, I think these will be the perfect tire for me also.

As for the photo, I think they used the photo of the regular BFG M/T.

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Dennis et.al.,

Are you sure these are sill in production? The only review I saw was from 2000. The only difference I saw was a softer compound. For Ice, I would want siping.

If you look here:

http://www.carreview.com/Tires/BF+Go...9_1577crx.aspx

they don't even list a price. If you are really interested in these, you might want to call BFG tomorrow. This sounds like a red herring.

This article implies that no such beast exists:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/47858/

"BFG’s engineers told us that the new Mud-Terrain T/A KM offers the same, or better, traction in the rocks when compared to the now defunct Radial Mud-Terrain T/A Moab Edition tire. We drool over the traction possibilities of a Mud-Terrain T/A KM Moab Edition, but alas, we were informed that this idea isn’t in the works at this time."
Old 05-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummerNCO:
I do so much of my driving in the rain in LA and the snow in Tahoe that I think the A/T may be the better choice but when driving in some rocky terrain around Reno my stock A/T's got some good gouges in the sides. Does the A/T tend to gouge easily compared to others?

Hey DRTYFN do you prefer to run 35"? I'm curious what your opinion is of 35 vs 37.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to go with the BFG A/Ts. But you could step up a size to 37x12.50x17. Since you'll be driving in rain and snow you should consider having your tires siped. I had my stock tires siped and they were simply amazing on wet roads, snow and ice covered roads. Try to get it done at a Les Schwab store.

Plus, we all know that Dennis beat Potato Salad with his stock tires.

I love the look of the 37s vs the 35s. I'm going to buy a set of the Toyos in 35x12.50x17 only because the 37s only come in 13.50 wide. Too wide for stock wheels and stock height.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Dennis, What's up brotha?

I had those 37 BFG MT's on my 03 and put around 4,000 miles on them. Than I switched them to my 05 and have about 4,000 on them. They are doing great for tread life.

My review: They kick ass in the dirt and on slickrock. On the road, they are a little louder, but not by much. Now I have had them in a couple of storms. One that was snow/ ice and they sucked. I had a better chance steering a boat on the road on that given day. Now in the last storm we had 12" or so of just snow (no ice) and they were GREAT! As for every day driving, I do notice a little less power with the 37's... could be my imagination. When I do it all over again, I would go with the BFG MT's again, have them siped, and would go back to a 35" tire on an 18" rim. I do prefer the look of the bigger tire (37"), but I think they stuffed more than the 35" tire in Moab. Nothing to the point were I did any damage, but still scraped the fender wells out a little.
Good luck bud.
Tim.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Hummer Messiah

Tim,

Aboot 8 inches bro!

Seems like everyone is in agreement that these tires don't exsist or short lived.

I'll probably be going with yours as originally planned or the stock A/T 37s.

BTW, Can you update your SUT picks. Or has your baby stayed reletively the same?

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used the BFG MT on 3 trucks now and have really liked them for the Northwest. I think they handle fine in the Rain. If you get in snow very often, have them siped. I especially like them in the mud. (which we have in abundance) I got stock sizes, 35x12.5x17 to keep my horsepower from going to the rubber instead of the trailer. The 35's went everywhere the rigs with 37's did in Moab, but you did Potato Salad, with stock AT's. (You were The Man on that one. ) I disagree with Drty; I have had great luck with these wearing evenly and they stay balanced. I think he should rotate his tires once in a while if they wear unevenly.
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer AT on another rig, and they are crap. The tread is great, but they won't stay balanced.
Since I said all that, I'm thinking of changing wheels and tires again as well. I'm changing my rims for some with more bling, and I'm thinking of going with the Toyo Muds like Phil and so many others. I just need to find someone that's had them out in the NW muck to see if they work like I'd like them to.

Have you considered the GoodYear MTR? They only come in 18 inch wheel sizes and bigger.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

DRTY,

Les Schwab is only in the northern part of CA.

Anyone,

Do you know who does a good job of siping in So Cal?

Dennis,

I guess you'll need to settle for a Moab T-**** or something.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 AM
Hummer Messiah

I want the one that says, " I **** a brick in Moab."

I'm probably going with the BFG M/Ts as originally discussed with Tim.

After my rig is all done up, you won't be able to tell mine or DRTY's apart!.....NOT!
Attached Images

My Video Collectionez

Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
Tim,

Aboot 8 inches bro!

BTW, Can you update your SUT picks. Or has your baby stayed reletively the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

8 inches? It's amazing what surgery and those little round pills can do.

Updated pics? I'll have to update in a couple of weeks. WOrking with Gobi on a couple of new things. Should look good.

So you are going with the 37's. COOL! Just make sure to get them siped before winter if you go with MT's. Adam had 37" AT's on his for a while. They look good too. Maybe he has a pic somewhere with the AT's. Adam?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
Have you considered the GoodYear MTR? They only come in 18 inch wheel sizes and bigger.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>MT/R's come in 17" rim sizes. Most probably the the first after market tire to go on to an H2 on a stock rim was a 37x12.50x17 MT/R. Another very very well respected tire that is as tough as nails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow Phil! I was going to get a set but they didn't have them in stock sizes! Maybe they were on backorder or something cuz I looked.

Dennis: That just aint' right.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
Tim,

Aboot 8 inches bro!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Metric conversion equals about 2.7 English inches. Maybe I'll move to Canada... I could measure mine in meters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
I disagree with Drty; I have had great luck with these wearing evenly and they stay balanced.

Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was talking about my Iroks. On average they took 10 oz. each to balance, one needed 22 oz. on one side and 12.5 oz. on the other.

The MTRs come in all kinds of sizes.

The MTRs are EXPENSIVE right now. $300+ I've been quoted up to $350 each.