H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Elcova Newbie

rdc2475 is on a distinguished road
Default Problem Starting

Hello all, I have a 97.5 Hummer with 65,000 miles. I drove it yesterday and it seemed to start and run fine, however when I attempted to start it this morning it wouldn't start. I noticed a strange noise coming from the area behind the glove box where all the electrical cables are. I isolated the noise to a blue box thats mounted by screws underneath all the wires. I'm an idiot when it comes to automotive repair and was just wandering if anyone could give some advice before I take it in and get raped by the dealer for repairs. I'm attaching a photo of the box thats making the strange noise. Thanks for the help, Ryan
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem Starting

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system? Or maybe a remote start? I dont know what that blue box is, and I've got a 97.5. Going on that I'd say that whatever that box is, its aftermarket. FWIW, you've got other accessories under there with some pretty shoddy looking electrical work. You might want to solder and heat shrink all of that, and label the wires.

-007=
Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Elcova Newbie

rdc2475 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I kind of feel stupid, I charged the batteries and the truck started fine. I'm assuming the batteries might be going bad or I'm having trouble with my alternater. That whole area under the glove box is a mess, the only accessories I have are an old GPS system and some off roading lights on the light bar. Both were already on the truck when I bought it from the dealer brand new. Once again thanks for taking your time and answering my question. Take care
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

Given its age if the batteries are over 4 years old I suspect they are due for replacement. if you have a volt meter you can check output from the alt. by setting up the meter and seeing if its got an output voltage about 1 1/2 to 2 volts above the 12 volt static charge. if you rev the engine and hold it at about 1500 rpm it should be making around 13-14 volts if its working right. if the batteries are really weak or they have a draw on them it will cause them to charge at a higher rate. to check for a draw remove the battery cables and put a test light between the cable and the post it was removed from, if it lights even a little you have a draw. then its just a matter of figuring out why.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org