H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

Little General is an unknown quantity at this point
Default special oil from AM Gen in gear hubs

Just came back from a Hummer Event and got to talking with a Hummer Mechanic and he offered to sell me AM General specified oil for the gear hubs. He said it cost $40 a quart but offered it to me for $10.He said it had special additives in it, I guess like for anti slip rearends. I just changed all mine to Mobil 1 synethic gear oil. I did not know they made special oil for the gear hubs. I am going to his house this weekend to buy a used 4" exhaust and k&n filter and he says he has all sorts of goodies. I am hoping since its close to Christmas and he probably has close to nothing in most of these parts to get a load of parts cheap.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Elcova Rookie

RubberDuck is off the scale
Default Re: special oil from AM Gen in gear hubs

That special oil that you speak of is not for the geared hubs but for the Differentials with factory equipped Eaton Lockers. It's a synthetic gear lube with a friction modifier additive. It's not exactly $40 per qt. but more like $24.55 per quart but at $10 per qt. it's still a good deal if you have lockers be it Aulburn or Eaton.
FWIW, I would not reccommend running Mobil 1 gear lube in your Geared Hubs lest you want leaking hubs in your future. Don't get me wrong, I am a Mobil 1 fan myself but the Mobil 1 Gear Lube is quite a bit thinner and the hubs will almost always leak after time. Lucas Hub Oil is the only way to go IMO. It has a seal conditioner additive that will virtually eliminate Geared Hub leaks.
Again, IMO/experience.......
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Little General is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to my local napa and they had 10 different kinds of LUCAS oil. The stuff I bought to stopa leak( it didn't work) was an additive but said it could be used straight in rearends etc. I am going to buy the oil tonite from the hummer mech and go ahead and swap out the mobil 1 in my gear hubs. Maybe I won't have to replace any more seals.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

As Travis stated, Mobil 1 being a synthetic will cause more leaks not less. Using a friction modifier in them will really not do or help anything, and will definitely not help any leaks in your hubs. The friction modifier is added to prolong the life of organic materials in your diffs, its use is not called for in geared hubs. The proper hub oil to use is the Lucas Hub oil, if you would like I'll take a picture of a bottle of it for you. It may take some time to swell a seal back up, and stop the leak. If its leaking that badly I highly recommend that you fix the seal rather then trying a quick fix.

-007=
Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the K&N air filter goes, if you have a turbo diesel rig dont use it. In a turbo application a K&N filter allows far to many particles in to the engine for it to be considered acceptable in a TD application. NA trucks and gassers or OK though.

-007=