H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > H2 Classifieds

Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

BLOWNZO6 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Longhorn:
Damn! This is really cool.

Could it be configured for Sirius?

Does it have an aux RCA sound input? Then I could use my existing Kenwood stand alone sat radio module.

Any remote IR option for control? Something that might be compatible with a Soundgate steering wheel control module? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes the front end can use Sirius as well. I could work something out with you if don't want the XM unit. You would be on your own to set it up, there are other skins out there to control the Sirius radio. I don't have one so I cannot tell you how to set it up.

2. You could use the mic input for what you are looking for.

3. I have used a media PC remote on mine, the touch screen is an easier way, but any remote compatible with the computer will work.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

Will this Unit function with the Factory GPS antenna?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Hummer Professional

I'm sure many of us would like to Keep the Factory XM and GPS equipment. It would simplify things greatly. Not to mention expand the appeal to all the Lux owners out here with Factory GPS and XM
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
I'm sure many of us would like to Keep the Factory XM and GPS equipment. It would simplify things greatly. Not to mention expand the appeal to all the Lux owners out here with Factory GPS and XM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The factory GPS unit is tied into the onstar unit and the signal is created in the box. You would have to hack into the box to use the factory antenna. The new GPS antenna is very easy to run and about 1.5" in diameter. The factory XM unit is an add on unit and I have tried to incorporate it.

I don't see how it would simply things at all? If you did not have GPS or XM, the cost to go and buy factory XM and GPS units would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket ones. The way I have decided to intergrate the computer is the most cost effective way. I have had the Onstar unit apart and investigated using the factory GPS antenna and the work required to tap into it would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket parts.

You do have the option of continuing to use your factory radio. You can feed the computer into the AUX port on the radio and just switch the factory radio to AUX and make a screen mount for the screen elsewhere. This was what I did the entire time I was originally testing the system.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

Hey blown - check your e-mail bro
Old 10-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

BLOWNZ06-

You have two PM's...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Hummer Professional

The GPS antenna Is NOT part of Onstar. I Installed My TSN and XM and GPS. The GPS antenna Is a Chip unit that mounts under the dash at the base of the Windshield.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sorry.. my post was a bit misleading.

The part of the factory GPS that translates and send the NMEA compliant signal is part of the onstar unit. That is what you have to tap into, not simply plug the antenna into the computer.

This is the information I found, if you have other information, please PM me a link to it.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2_SUT_SC:
Hey blown - check your e-mail bro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^
Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Hummer Professional

Blown, THe antenna for the GPS does plug directly into the Radio here is Klaus's Install link with Clear pictures of the unit..http://www.elcova.com/h2/2003H2GMNavigationInstall.pdf
Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">http://www.elcova.com/h2/2003H2GMNavigationInstall.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I see what you are saying.. mine only plugs into the Onstar unit... I don't have the NAV radio. This still does not answer the question if this antenna can provide the necessary signal to the computer. I will see if I can come up with anything further. This is certainly interesting though. I appreciate the post... his truck has Onstar as well so does he run two antennas?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

All H2s have OnStar, which uses the roof antenna over the driver's head for GPS and cellular. In 2005 this antenna was modified to also support XM.

If the H2 is also equipped with navigation, it has an additional GPS antenna in the dash.

I junked the OnStar and connected the OnStar's GPS roof antenna to my NAV unit. It has a much better view of the sky.

My suggestion would be to use an aftermarket GPS antenna, unless you are junking OnStar.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Hummer Novice

atlawson is off the scale

What mount are you using for you monitor when you left the factory radio in? I would rather have mine set up this way instead of replacing the radio....would this be an option and how would this effect the price?
Tracy
Old 10-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

It is an option, I have not prefected the mount. I will be happy to provide what I used for the mount. I am not prepared to provide the mounts. They are not the best way to mount the screen. It was still a bit shakey, etc. It worked very well this way. As long as you don't mind adjusting the screen every once in a while. If you did not mind a screw in the plastic part of the dash (the replaceable part) you could find a better way to mount it for sure. As far as cost goes... I will make the PC package $1779 if you want to go that route. It is actually less work for me. As I said I will send you a picture of what I did for the mount. Anyone with simple hand tools can make it, nothing fancy.. took me about 30 minutes in my garage.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Hummer Professional

2 antennas? I have 3 on top and 1 in the dash? I have the onstar over the drivers side, The Factory Radio and Factory XM over the Passenger side and the GPS in the Dash. THis is the Reason for asking if the new unit would be able to use the existing XM and GPS. The Factory XM has a Seperate Reciever behind the Glove Compartment that then plugs up to the Factory Head unit. If I have to Abandon these units I dont think I would be interested in the new set up. I have too much time and Money involved in the Installation of them.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
2 antennas? I have 3 on top and 1 in the dash? I have the onstar over the drivers side, The Factory Radio and Factory XM over the Passenger side and the GPS in the Dash. THis is the Reason for asking if the new unit would be able to use the existing XM and GPS. The Factory XM has a Seperate Reciever behind the Glove Compartment that then plugs up to the Factory Head unit. If I have to Abandon these units I dont think I would be interested in the new set up. I have too much time and Money involved in the Installation of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cannot even see the other antennas you will adding. You are going to have let them go or do what I suggested above. These PC's are like anything else aftermarket. This was designed to look as factory installed as possible and I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on them and have many interested. I am setting up the system for my Corvette right now. I have done my best to make the least work possible and integrate it as much as possible.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Ok I understand that The Nav would plug into Onstar, What about the factory XM unit? Will that plug up to your unit?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok I understand that The Nav would plug into Onstar, What about the factory XM unit? Will that plug up to your unit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't even have one to try it. So I cannot answer that. The antenna may plug up the XM unit. Don't know about the XM unit to PC, again, I don't have one, so no idea. If you can tell me it the XM unit had a 8 pin mini DIN plug on it, I could tell you. Without one I have no idea. As I said, my truck or the Corvette did not come with one.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

BlownZ06, PM sent.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
How is the Delorme Street Atlas 2006? and is this DVD NAV?
Can I hook up my Alpine NAV?
Is there a wireless mouse/keyboard?
Can you get online with your cell phone if no wireless cnnection available?
Can I run the JL Stealth box sub thru this with an amp?
Can I run a CD/DVD player to a aux input?
Is there an output for the NAV and DVD to run other screens?
Where is the DVD rom located?
Does that screen flip up?
Sorry for all the questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is software available for Canada that includes turn-by-turn directions as well. I imagine it would be easy to get up and running on this system.

If you have an existing navigation system and you are interested in the PC aspects of this system, you would be able to use its composite outputs to add to the navigation system. You would lack your touchscreen capability on the PC, but there are a few nice wireless keyboard and mouse sets that are RF, not IR, meaning you do not need line of sight for the remote. (One of the sets uses a gyroscopic mouse so you use it in the air.)

Using a mobile phone to get online would be quite easy, too, as most new ones have USB cables to connect to the PC to emulate a modem. It would vary from phone to phone, but I imagine it would be a simple procedure.

Since the factory stereo is still handling the audio, you can use whatever speakers and subwoofers you want. You could input your own audio using the inputs on the system. (I have a good idea what platform is being used for this system.)

I realize that it is BLOWNZ06's project, but I have built a lot of these systems for customers over the past four years, so I thought I would offer my two cents.