H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Hummer Professional

deicustoms1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't find anything on this....so

There isn't a subwoofer with the standard system right? But there is one with the monsoon system. Where does that subwoofer go, and would I be able to add my own sub to that space?

I'm trying to add some bass to my system, but don't want it to be visible/take up space. Any ideas? thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Hummer Professional

I didn't find anything on this....so

There isn't a subwoofer with the standard system right? But there is one with the monsoon system. Where does that subwoofer go, and would I be able to add my own sub to that space?

I'm trying to add some bass to my system, but don't want it to be visible/take up space. Any ideas? thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

The sub is in the drivers side rear panel. I'm sure you could swap out the sub but you will need a different amp.

There was also a kit for installing two 8" subs in the rear gate where the jack is located. It was a really clean install.

Try searching a little harder. There have been plenty of threads on this stuff.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Hummer Professional

Is there a different drivers side rear panel for trucks with the monsoon system? Or are all the trucks the same, with mounting locations for a sub if not included?

I saw the two 8" subs bparker had, which was custom made, but I didn't see any kits for that. I guess I'll keep looking.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:21 PM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

I have done extensive research on this as I got the base radio and wanted more base myself.

Yes there are 2 different rear panles for the monsoon and non-monsoon systems.
The non-monsoon system's rear panel has a storage bin. The monsoon systems rear panel has a grate an no bin to make rom for the sub/amp.

The panel with the grate is not available at this time as I tried to order one.

I was going to source the monsoon parts sub and amp to add them to my base system. I actuall sourced and purchased a monsoon head unit. and almost had the amp and sub then decided against it...here is why.

I have heard the monsoon sub has a lifespan as all subs do but it uses a paper cone and will not last as long as the newer polymer/plastic sub surrounds. I wanted more base and a clean stealth install so I thought this was my only option.

I did some hunting and looking and this is what I did and am totally stoked on the result.

I went with a Infinity Basslink T.

I found one on ebay for a great price much cheaper then suggested retail.

The nice think about this unit is as follows.

1) it is all self contained including the amp that runs it. It has 2 10" drives and a passive 10" radiator. It is 4" deep at the top and 7" deep at the bottom and is a great fit in between the rear quarter panels behind the far rear seat. It comes with feet that snap into the base to give it a sturdy platform. They can be screwed to the floor but I opted against this and have not had any movement of the bx after 2 months...I do however have the rear H3 rubber matt but the floor is rubber anyway and you probably wouldnt need the matt.

when installing a sub and amp you typically have to grab a set of rca's from the back of the head unit to get signal to the amp. Our stock radios do not have this feature so usually an adaptor is needed speaker line to rca which I got but did nbot have to install.

The Basslink T has a feature where you tie into the back 2 speakers with speaker wire which runs to the sub, it does 2 things. 1 it send the signal to the amp in the Basslink and 2 it remotly turns the unit on when the head is turned on...very nice feature which eliminated the adaptor discussed earlier.

I grabbed the 2 rear door speaker leads under the pass and drive side sill plates. It was a bitch finding which wires went to the speakers but I finally did with a radio schematic.

I ran a nice 4 guage lead from the battery to a 100amp breaker mounted on the side of the battery box, drille a hole in the firewall on the drive sdie and installed a grommet and ran the 4 guage doen the drivee side kick panel under the drive sill. At this point I used a 4 guag to 8 guage block and it fit very nicly under the sill plate.

The 8 guage wire I tucked all the way under the rear sill and beside the seat and ran it to thr Basslink. I did the same with each speaker wire supplied with the basslink for the signal.

I grabbed a switched +12v under the drive side sill yellow wire and ran it under to the rear as well to the Basslink. I grabbed the ground and constant 12v lead under the dash drive side just above the floor light. They are stubbed out there for a trailer brake application which I will never need they have heat shrink on the ends you cant miss them when you look up under there. I ran them to the basslinkas well and that is basically all the wiring.

The last trick thing that I did was to route the remote bass adjustment lead don the drivers side under the sills and up under the drive side of the dash. I removes the center radio face plate and brought it into the garage. I pulle the left knock out which is there for fog lights (there are 2) side by side. I usd the left one next to the rear wiper switch. Once the knock out was removed I used stainless wire to fasrten in the remote base knob assy it was a bitch but well worth the effort because rather then screwing it under the dash to look like crap it is now a plain knob that looks totally factory.

Now on the performance. THE BASSLNK T IS FREAKIN AWESOME. I have made my own enclosures and done streo installation for years so it it not new to me at all. I have had multiple amp systems and have compeatd in ound offes etc. One of my best friends was a top installer in Ct back in the day and we did some insanee ****.

Well back to the Basslink. I set all the gains and bass boost just under half way. The stock system has a damn good bit of mid base and tweet but lack sub base totally and obviously.

The Basslink is an incredible addition and I barely have the remote adjustment over a quarter turn up. The crossover in it is totally adjustable and it needs to be fine tuned for your listening preference.

With the crystal clear xm the raw channel;s base is intense as well as all the others...but the nice thing is I can reach over the the dash and adjust the level to suit each song if need be.

So in conclusion for added base and a non butchering approach this is the way to go. The basslink T has been designed to fit behind the seat of single cab pick up trucks, but looks like it was made for the H3. I have it pointing towards the rear and when you pop the tailgate it looks intense. I keep a towel draped over it for 2 reasons. 1 to kep it from potentialy sliding into the rear plastic and marring it bit really to hide it from theives I also have the optional sun shade for the rear for this same reason.

I will take soem pics and post them tonight after work.

Hope this helps you. If you shoose this route you will be very happy you did. I am 38 and am past the BOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOM days but every once in a while I find myself hitting it hard on the raw tip ya dig?

But on the other stations depending on where you have the remote set it fills out the sound field very nicely and is a super product.

UNOMYFLO
Old 02-02-2006, 03:41 PM

More information:

Al the speakers in the H3 are 2ohm keep this in mind when wanting to replace speakers but retain the stock powerd head unit.

If you want to put a monsoon 6 disc head in a stock system you will loose 75% of your volume snce the monsoon head has a very small ammt of built in power.

The radios are serialized to the truck. If tyou get a monsoon or non monsoon radio othr than the onee that came with your H3 the code will have to be cleared and reset to the vin of the H3 at the dealer using a Tec 2 programmer...been there done this...only to drive home wih 75% less volume....I was bummed.

I did the above it my first post. But at the same time I got a sweet huge 4 channel infinity amp and a set of separates with passive crossovers and a set of speakers for the rear doors. I also got a the speaker to rca adaptor staged.....eventually I ant to install the adaptor and install the 4 channel amp probably in an mdf amp rack I make and I will put it behing the rear drie panel and either source a monsoon grated panel or I will cut the cubby out and leave the door on to make room for the amp rack. without the sub the cubby might not even have to be cut out...looks close. I think the reason for the grate on the monsoon system is due to the sub which I will not be installing due to the basslink being in already. Then I will swap door speakers a set at a time, but again keep in mind once the amp is in the speaker speakers have to be swapped as the 4 ohm rating of the amp will not work with the 2 ohm speakers that are in stock.

so I have all the stuff and foam baffles for the doors ad it is alll staged, but to bee honest with you I havent even thought of putting the amp or speakers in 1 due to my lack of time but really due to the system sounding awesome.....when a door speaker goes or I geet some time w/o the wifr and 2 kids I might hammer it out but for the mean time I am totally happy.

Ebay was a great resource to get the amp and Basslink and the replaccement door speakers which are all Infinity.

There are a tone of people selling the same product but the prices vary greatly. I figure I saved hundreds.

UNOMYFLO
Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there are 2 different rear panles for the monsoon and non-monsoon systems.

Corection : There are 3 different panels
1-monsoon 2-non monsoon base model 3-adventure non monsoon(without lux package) on the 3rd panal there is a extra compartment just the same as the one on pasanger side.The extra compartment comes in very handy since there aren't many stow spots for gear and such on the H3.
I have my fire ext , tool bag and extra tire gauge in there.

Other side compresor, ac/dc inverter,rain jacket and a few rags.

I also got a lot of gear stowed in jack compartment.Jack (of course) jack board,foldable shovel/pic,first aid kit,tire plug kit,tire presure gauge(good to have 2 w/airdown valve),coil air hose 25 feet (for taping into air at beach they have 2 with hoses and 6 more without it saves time )of course the rear tire lock key(theres a little slot for it with a velcro flap as stated by f5fstop in earier thread.)some rags ect(rags are good to stop rattles and are ther when you need them.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM

I have the non monsoon adventure non lux.

I have looked at 100 of these trucks at the dealer there are 2 panels 1 with the storage bin and one with the grille/grate.

I have even spoke with the parts dept and there are only 2 part numbers.

If there are 3 different side panels what are the differences between them? and whey is there only 2 part numbers??
Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 PM

so are you saying the 3 are:

1) monsoon have the grate

2) the non monsoon adventure has the bin like the rear pass side

3) the base has a plain panel no bin, no grate (obviously)

U
Old 02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Hummer Guru

so are you saying the 3 are:

1) monsoon have the grate

2) the non monsoon adventure has the bin like the rear pass side

3) the base has a plain panel no bin, no grate (obviously)

I Believe you are correct.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Hummer Professional

That was quite informative. I've been looking for compact powered subs, and there really isn't room to hide anything good.

As long as that panel is unavailable, I think that Infinity Basslink T would work nicely for me. I was considering an Infinity basslink, the one with just 1 -10" sub, to put on the floor in the backseat. But the basslink T looks like it would be much cleaner. Like I said I'm going for stealth, but that setup looks good to me.

I'd like to see the pics. Thanks for the recommendation!

And I have the base, and there is a bin in the driver side rear, exactly like the one on the pass side.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Hummer Guru

And I have the base, and there is a bin in the driver side rear, exactly like the one on the pass side.

Really
Anyone else with a base have a compartment on left side.
When I got mine in aug the bases didnt have it ?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Hummer Professional

H3HUMVEE is off the scale

my base has two bins in the rear + jack storage
Old 02-03-2006, 04:15 PM

My gut tells me if you have the drivers side bin then you do not have the monsoon sub back there.
With the bin there is no room for it.

Check your sticker make sure you have it I really dont think you do.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Thats really odd since I do not think there is room back there for the sub with the bin.

The grate is also I believe to let the bass eminate from behind the panel.

I would really check to se if you have the monsoon sub and amp..Look at the sales sticker and try to peek in there.

When the storage bin door is opened you can look in the hole with a flashlight and see if the sub is there...I would be surprised if it is with the bin app and not the grille app.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Yeah I actually had the single sub unit on order then found the Basslink T and re-ordered and I am glad I did. The 3 10" is sweet pleanty if you want it but with the remote bass adjustment you can dial it down if need be.

Plus the price difference isnt that much you will loose a bit of rear storage space but you can still get a suitcase back there and other items.

I will take pics later and try to post super busy today.

UNO