H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What kind of battery?

Looks like my battery in my 2003 H2 is finally dead. Turned to crank it this morning, and nothing but ticks and a "beep beep" horn. I knew it was going low in amps a few months ago when I had it checked, but I figured it would last until the fall.

Anyways, what kind of battery are you guys running when you had to replace it? Did you stay with the same kind or different?
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2-USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What kind of battery?

I replaced the orignal battery in my 2003, after is was leaking all over the front tire....... after just under 2 years.(forget the delaer)
I replaced it with a yellow top Optima battery. About 6 months ago, after only driving my vehicle every couple of days (short distances), the battery would act as if it were almost dead and not start the vehicle, I would jump it and be fine for the rest of the day, only to have it occur a few days or weeks later, or if it was really cold in the mornings (40s).

I contacted Optima, and they stated that they do not make a battery for any of the 2003 - 2007 Hummer H2s. They said that the stated cold cranking amps required (in the book) for the H2, is 880. The Yellow top Optima only has 750, and the Red top Optima only has 800.

I tested the battery, and it was only carrying 8 volts and dropped to 5 under load. After fully charging the battery it seemed fine ................

Long story short, I called Sears, they don't have a battery for the H2, though he said that could get one to fit .......... max 800 cca.

I went to Walmart and Sam's club, their books list the H2, but no battery options.

Finally I contaced AutoZone. They have a direct replacement 880cca battery for the H2s. 79-DLG (Duralast Gold) $99.99
8 Year/96 month warranty with 36 free replacement period.

DONE - GAME OVER. The H2 event starts faster with this battery, turn the key and rrumpp it's ready to go.

This is my story. Others wil swear by the Optima Batteries, which I did so before. My other vehicles have the Red Top Optimas.

Happy Trails.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Hummer Expert

Default Re: What kind of battery?

wow! Thanks for the info! That helps alot.
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tallowood_Air is on a distinguished road

Duralast Gold all day every day.

If you want an Optima, get the Red top.

The Optima yellow top is a deep cycle battery, which is good for applications with heavy, extended draw. A good example would be a large stereo system.

The Red Top is a 'starting' battery that will give you massive CA and is more like a regular battery
37" Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 on 24" ZINIK Mazotti
Pioneer AVIC-Z1 HDD navigation; 2 x 12" JL W6; Custom Box w/ Lights
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Hummer Expert

DuraLast Gold worked perfectly! Thanks for the info. When I got my original battery checked at Autozone, it read 10.4!! Very dead battery.

Anyways, the rig fired right up when the new one was installed!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-USA
I replaced the orignal battery in my 2003, after is was leaking all over the front tire....... after just under 2 years.(forget the delaer)
I replaced it with a yellow top Optima battery. About 6 months ago, after only driving my vehicle every couple of days (short distances), the battery would act as if it were almost dead and not start the vehicle, I would jump it and be fine for the rest of the day, only to have it occur a few days or weeks later, or if it was really cold in the mornings (40s).

I contacted Optima, and they stated that they do not make a battery for any of the 2003 - 2007 Hummer H2s. They said that the stated cold cranking amps required (in the book) for the H2, is 880. The Yellow top Optima only has 750, and the Red top Optima only has 800.

I tested the battery, and it was only carrying 8 volts and dropped to 5 under load. After fully charging the battery it seemed fine ................

Long story short, I called Sears, they don't have a battery for the H2, though he said that could get one to fit .......... max 800 cca.

I went to Walmart and Sam's club, their books list the H2, but no battery options.

Finally I contaced AutoZone. They have a direct replacement 880cca battery for the H2s. 79-DLG (Duralast Gold) $99.99
8 Year/96 month warranty with 36 free replacement period.

DONE - GAME OVER. The H2 event starts faster with this battery, turn the key and rrumpp it's ready to go.

This is my story. Others wil swear by the Optima Batteries, which I did so before. My other vehicles have the Red Top Optimas.

Happy Trails.

That is some very useful information. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

freytes2004 is on a distinguished road

I replaced mine with a red top and it works perfect I even run a 12000 pound warn winch.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freytes2004
I replaced mine with a red top and it works perfect I even run a 12000 pound warn winch.

I just found out that optima has a new yellow top battery with 900CCA. It is model number D31T. Has anyone else seen this?
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

been useing yellow top's for 3 or 4 years , work well for me . OPTIMA® YellowTop Battery

Click image to enlarge

Where loud comes from.

OPTIMA Yellow Top batteries, featuring SPIRALCELL Technology, are designed for all of your deep cycle needs. It's perfect for people who are serious about sound. OPTIMA's power is cleaner with higher voltage output than conventional batteries. You can play your system louder and longer. And they have a greater cycle life so they can be drained and recharged more often. Plus, they're spill-proof and can withstand 15 times the vibration of ordinary batteries.

Sport Compact Power

The sport compact market has continued to grow in size and advance in technology over the last few years. New developments have created demanding electrical systems requiring a high performance deep-cycle automotive battery. OPTIMA batteries can meet the needs of more enthusiasts in the performance market. Our new group 51, 35 and 75/25 sizes are made just for your compact power needs.

Click image to enlarge

Unequaled Vibration Resistance

Using OPTIMA SPIRALCELL Technology, cells are tightly compressed into supportive chambers, giving OPTIMA batteries over 15 times more vibration resistance than traditional batteries. This translates into longer battery life in high vibration applications.

Click image to enlarge

Nonspillable

Due to its completely sealed case, the OPTIMA Yellow Top battery is extremely safe and corrosion resistant. Acid can't leak or spill, making them clean, user-friendly and environmentally sound. In addition, the maintenance free sealed case design eliminates the need to add water or clean terminals.
Dual Purpose (Starting and Deep Cycle) Batteries for Professional Use

OPTIMA YellowTop is made to install and forget. No matter the conditions, be it dampness, heat, dirt or exposure to extremes in vibration or regular discharge, you can count on OPTIMA to deliver uninterrupted power. OPTIMA's ability to hold a higher voltage during the discharge cycle makes it possible to utilize more of the stored power in the OPTIMA compared to ordinary batteries. The YellowTop handles many discharges as well as re-charges without losing significant capacity. OPTIMA is also ideal for seasonal use because of its very low self-discharge rate. That means you can store your seasonal vehicles all winter without regular charging and still spring out of the starting block when winter is over.

Click image to enlarge

Remember:
A dark gray case means starting technology, a light gray case means dual purpose (engine start and deep cycle) technology.

OPTIMA YellowTop Benefits

Dual Purpose starting and deep cycling.
Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.
Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.
15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

Home | Product Info | News | Sponsorships | Ads/Promos | Battery Search | Contact Us | About Us
Copyright © 1996-2004 Johnson Controls, Inc. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
OPTIMA® and SPIRALCELL® Technology are registered trademarks of Johnson Controls Battery Group, Inc.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

flyin6 is on a distinguished road

I'd go with the Optima yellow top. If going with dual batteries, a red top to start, and a yellow top for everything else. Have run one in my other truck for years with no problems. Used it with a 9K winch without running the motor with no problems.
01 SAS Supercharged Tundra
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Yellow Top.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran a yellow top in my '96 Tahoe for years in snow with lots of big lights & flashers. Loved that battery. Ran it dead several times, but it kept coming back. My original (03' H2) battery crapped out in winter of '06 when I was living in CO, with sub zero temps, alwats parked outside in the snow and not run every day. I would have replaced it with a yellow top (battery was out of warranty) but my wife took it to the dealer, batted her eyelashes and got it replaced for free! If I ever get around to putting in a winch, I will probably go to a dual yellow top setup. But that is great info about Auto Zone and a great price!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

My battery guy (Chet) says there are 2 manufactures of the group 79 batterys that are a direct replacement for the H2, Jhonson controle and Exide and he thinks that Jhonson controle mages the Delco and Exide makes the Autozone. anyway the deal is those 2 make them for everyone and they get labled to what the reseller wants. the big new yellow top Optima is top post only so if you want the exact right size and 880 cca with side posts you are stuck with a group 79. Chet just got me a new Jhonson controle labled Armor Plate made in april 07. when I asked him about the Optima he told me he would get me one but the 79 was the way to go.I have been buying batterys from him for 8 years and he has never steered me wrong yet. he done me a favor and sold me the new group 79 at his cost $34.50 because I sold him a couple of cases of M855 ammo in jan of 07 $50.00 a case less than he could get . so it looks like Autozone and the rest are makeing an nice profit ,but you get a nice long warrentee. any way if you want a exact fit your stuck with a group 79. my Optima must have been getting ready to take a dump because it wasn't spinning the starter as fast as it used to ,and the new battery realy spins the starter much faster than the Optima ever did . I sure wish Optima would make a direct replacement.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Hummer Professional

pteam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2
DuraLast Gold worked perfectly! Thanks for the info. When I got my original battery checked at Autozone, it read 10.4!! Very dead battery.

Anyways, the rig fired right up when the new one was installed!

What should a battery read 12v when not running and 14v when the car is running/charging?

Also is there a cheap/semi-cheap way to test batteries besides a load tester? What do they use to actually test the volts of a battery?
Supercharged Viper 800 HP Special Edition #49 of 50
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
08 H2, 22 in rims, 6 HID lights, 20 in TV with DVD
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 26 pass lighted dance floor (sold)
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

FirstClassLimos.net - H2 limos and party buses in OH & PA

my car collection
Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Vettster is on a distinguished road

I had a Red Top.
Bought it a few years back for the Corvette and never got around to installing it.
Fast forward 5 years and I noted it sitting on the floor in my storage shed so I figured I'd pick it up and drag it to Mexico with me.
Got down here and threw it on the boat. There it sat and bounced and moved around for another year without being used.
The following spring, when I went to start the boat it had 2 flat batteries.
My Son was with me and suggested that we hook up the Red Top. At first, I told him to forget about it that the battery was probably junk as it was so old and had never been hooked up.
To my surprise, the engine turned over and started right up.
I left the one battery hooked up for about half that season (doing the work of 2 marine batteries) with absolutely no problems.
Optima Rocks!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Elcova Rookie

Kendal is off the scale

Thanks to all for the info.. Went with the Autozone one and it worked great, came with a roadside assist program (free) and they installed it!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
What should a battery read 12v when not running and 14v when the car is running/charging?

Also is there a cheap/semi-cheap way to test batteries besides a load tester? What do they use to actually test the volts of a battery?

You can buy a cheap costing Tester for AC and DC and ohms and continuity etc.... all in one tester at Radio Shack, just have to turn the dial to what you want to test, such as AC or DC etc...

If you want a good one, I use Fluke Digital Tester, but Im in the Electrical Industry so it suits me, but I can test DC with mine as well

Costs--Range from 15.00 to 500.00 pending on your needs.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

RippSpeed is on a distinguished road

Hawker Odessy is way better than any optima battery...

I've had Hawker Odessy in my past 2 vehicles and I have it in my dialey beater... I've had optimas too and just ended up throwing them away ...

Why I usually take long trips to Philippines at least a month or more ... When I come back the optima battery would be dead dead on my truck. It wouldnt re-charge or hold a charge... 3 Sets of optimas did this to me ... Ever since I spent the extra money and got me a much lighter, mount it at any angle and better battery over all ... Hawker Odessy !!!

In my last truck ( which was a 2001 Toyota Tundra ) I ran a Hawker Odessy 925. Great battery, light, and half the size of my original factory battery. Only problem was it 25 minutes of juice once you turn off the truck and had the radio on blast. I should have gotten the bigger unit to not have this problem.

Last edited by RippSpeed : 10-29-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

LINK

Yellow top Optima, 900cca!