Hummer Forums by Elcova  
Forums - Home
Source Decals

Source Motors
Custom. Accessories.

H2 Accessories
H3 Accessories
Other Vehicles

H2 Source

H2 Member Photos
H2 Owners Map
H2 Classifieds
H2 Photo Gallery
SUT Photo Gallery
H2 Details

H2 Club

Chapters
Application

H3 Source

H3 Member Photos
H3 Classifieds
H3 Photo Gallery
H3 Owners Map
H3 Details
H3T Concept

H1 Source

H1 Member Photos
H1 Classifieds
H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads










 


Source Motors - custom. accessories.


Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 AM
pdxrealtor's Avatar
pdxrealtor pdxrealtor is offline
Hummer Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 947
pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road
Default What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Rockstars-

20x8.5 10 (current wheel)
20x10 -24
20x12 -44

Looking at Nitto Terra Grappler A/T in a 37". They only come in widths of ~14"

Also open to other A/T tire options, but I didn't come up with anything.
__________________
_____________________________________

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 AM
pdxrealtor's Avatar
pdxrealtor pdxrealtor is offline
Hummer Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 947
pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Well I just found this site, and it says the -24 will fit with level kit.

Does anyone know this to be in fact not true?

I've read mixed things about anything larger than a 12.50
__________________
_____________________________________

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
guruerror's Avatar
guruerror guruerror is offline
Hummer Authority
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,762
guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

IMO it's easier to think about it from a strictly 'backspacing' point of view. Everyone on this site seems to be worried about what 'offset' their rims have, but offset really doesn't tell you much by itself. You still need to know the width of the rim to determine how much of the rim will be under the truck and close to the suspension to determine if you'll get rub. They're using offset and width to calculate 'backspacing,' so why not just talk 'backspacing' from the get-go? LOL!

I found that with the stock rims which are 8 1/2" wide and have a 5 5/8" backspacing (in other words, 5 5/8" of the rim go inward toward the suspension and the remaining 2 7/8" go outward from the hub) my 37x12.5 BFG MTs rubbed in both directions at full lock. When I went to the Rockstars (9" rim) which have a shallower 4 1/2" backspacing I had about an inch less rim/tire going in toward the suspension, so the same tires exhibited no rubbing. This also gave the truck a more aggressive look since it pushed the tires outward about an inch and a half as well.

When trying to figure out what's gonna cause rubbing...it just makes more sense to me to look for the 'backspacing' first...'cause that tells you exactly how much rim/tire is going 'back' toward the suspension. I only look up the 'offset' if the backspacing isn't published.

For 14" tires I'd think you'd need to get an even shallower BS if possible. 'Cause if 4 1/2" BS makes my 12.5s not rub, adding another 1 1/2" to the overall width will put another 3/4" of rubber back toward the suspension. I don't know how much clearance I have at this point, but I'd think you want to at least try to push the tires out another 1/2" to make up for the additional rubber...which would put you at a rim with a 4" BS...3 3/4" would be ideal, but I don't know that I've seen rims wide enough to run 14s with that shallow of a BS. 14s seem pretty damn wide for a leveled truck...I'll see if I can get pwrhse2k to chime in. I think he was running tires close to your size on his truck when it was leveled.
__________________
CNTRY
DTOM

Last edited by guruerror : 12-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
pwrhse2k's Avatar
pwrhse2k pwrhse2k is offline
Hummer Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 139
pwrhse2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
Well I just found this site, and it says the -24 will fit with level kit.

Does anyone know this to be in fact not true?

I've read mixed things about anything larger than a 12.50

I've had -25mm wheels and no rub on leveled H2. Tires were 35x12.5 Toyo M/Ts - It poked the wheel out just enough to give it a nice full look in the wheel well.

I currently run -44mm wheels w/ 37x13.5 Toyo M/T tires and get major rub at full lock (fender). Even with the Torsion keys (GM Green) cranked to damn near max, it rubs. I'm now having a Rancho lift installed because the rub was a getting on my last MF nerve. LOL

With that said, if you're staying stock height or 2? leveling kit don't go -44mm. Stick with -24mm and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM
pdxrealtor's Avatar
pdxrealtor pdxrealtor is offline
Hummer Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 947
pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrhse2k
I've had -25mm wheels and no rub on leveled H2. Tires were 35x12.5 Toyo M/Ts - It poked the wheel out just enough to give it a nice full look in the wheel well.

I currently run -44mm wheels w/ 37x13.5 Toyo M/T tires and get major rub at full lock (fender). Even with the Torsion keys (GM Green) cranked to damn near max, it rubs. I'm now having a Rancho lift installed because the rub was a getting on my last MF nerve. LOL

With that said, if you're staying stock height or 2? leveling kit don't go -44mm. Stick with -24mm and you'll be fine.


Thanks for the info guys....

Pwrhse- do you have any pics of your truck
__________________
_____________________________________

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 PM
pwrhse2k's Avatar
pwrhse2k pwrhse2k is offline
Hummer Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 139
pwrhse2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
Thanks for the info guys....

Pwrhse- do you have any pics of your truck

I'll take some pics when I get it back from having the lift installed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
guruerror's Avatar
guruerror guruerror is offline
Hummer Authority
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,762
guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
IMO it's easier to think about it from a strictly 'backspacing' point of view. Everyone on this site seems to be worried about what 'offset' their rims have, but offset really doesn't tell you much by itself. You still need to know the width of the rim to determine how much of the rim will be under the truck and close to the suspension to determine if you'll get rub. They're using offset and width to calculate 'backspacing,' so why not just talk 'backspacing' from the get-go? LOL!

I found that with the stock rims which are 8 1/2" wide and have a 5 5/8" backspacing (in other words, 5 5/8" of the rim go inward toward the suspension and the remaining 2 7/8" go outward from the hub) my 37x12.5 BFG MTs rubbed in both directions at full lock. When I went to the Rockstars (9" rim) which have a shallower 4 1/2" backspacing I had about an inch less rim/tire going in toward the suspension, so the same tires exhibited no rubbing. This also gave the truck a more aggressive look since it pushed the tires outward about an inch and a half as well.

When trying to figure out what's gonna cause rubbing...it just makes more sense to me to look for the 'backspacing' first...'cause that tells you exactly how much rim/tire is going 'back' toward the suspension. I only look up the 'offset' if the backspacing isn't published.

For 14" tires I'd think you'd need to get an even shallower BS if possible. 'Cause if 4 1/2" BS makes my 12.5s not rub, adding another 1 1/2" to the overall width will put another 3/4" of rubber back toward the suspension. I don't know how much clearance I have at this point, but I'd think you want to at least try to push the tires out another 1/2" to make up for the additional rubber...which would put you at a rim with a 4" BS...3 3/4" would be ideal, but I don't know that I've seen rims wide enough to run 14s with that shallow of a BS. 14s seem pretty damn wide for a leveled truck...I'll see if I can get pwrhse2k to chime in. I think he was running tires close to your size on his truck when it was leveled.

Okay...this has turned out to be an informative/educational thread. I change my position on BS vs offset. After some extensive research...and ciphering, I believe that offset allows you to better calculate the amount of rubber/wheel on both sides of the mounting pad than BS. It slowly dawned on me that BS doesn't account for tire width...only the rim width. Using tire width and offset you can figure out exactly how much rubber/wheel will fall on each side of the mounting pad.

So, with 37x12.5s on stock 17x8.5 rims which seem to have an offset of about 35mm (8.5" rim and a 5.625" BS means that the mounting pad is 1.375" off center...1.375" = 35mm) I would have had 7.625" of rubber/wheel going back from the hub toward the suspension. That's the width of the tire 12.5 divided by two (6.25) plus the positive offset of 1.375.

With my current setup, I've got the same 37x12.5s on rims with 0mm offset, so I've got exactly half of the width of the tire going in each direction...6.25" of wheel going in toward the suspension and 6.25" going out away from the hub.

I had rub at full lock with the stock rims when 7.625" of the tire went under, but no rub with the Rockstars which is only putting 6.25" back. So 6.25" seems to be a good target number to avoid rub against the suspension.

Applying this logic to 14" tires...to keep only 6.25" of the tire going back towards the suspension, you'd need a rim with about a -19mm offset.

14 (width of the tire) divided by 2 = 7 (with 0mm offset you'd have 7" of wheel going in both directions.
7 minus 6.25 (the amount of wheel I've got under the truck with no rub) = .75 (the offset you'd need to get the same clearance)
.75" = 19mm
Since you want the wheel to go out more you'd want a negative 19.

One word of caution, I'd try to stay as close to the -19mm offset as possible...if you start going up to offsets like pwrhse2k mentioned (-44mm) you'll be pushing your tires out even further and you may run into rubbing on the outside of the tire...on the fenders.

I'm glad you posted this thread...I feel like I've got a better grasp of offset/BS now...LOL!

Here's a good site to play on to get a visual representation of the measurements, they don't have our tire sizes, but it still helped me figure things out: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
__________________
CNTRY
DTOM

Last edited by guruerror : 12-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM
pdxrealtor's Avatar
pdxrealtor pdxrealtor is offline
Hummer Expert
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 947
pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

Coffee is just kicking in, and that just made my head hurt! HA!

I'll have to read that on the puter not the iPad , when I'm fully awake.

I'm looking at the 10" rockstar -24 offset so it sounds like a food fit.

Ps your post should be a sticky
__________________
_____________________________________

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 AM
KT2T's Avatar
KT2T KT2T is offline
Hummer Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US/FL/Lakeland
Posts: 99
KT2T is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Offset For 20" Wheels / 14" Tires

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...433#post549433
__________________
Mike Oliver, KT2T | m@fifo.io | +1-863-606-8008 | US/FL/Lakeland

2008 H2 LUX, graystone, rear air suspension (stock), U-steps, SMA brushguard w/valance (DRLs replaced by PIAA 520s), black taillight guards, black locking fuel door, four black roof crossbars, Cognito UCA, Bilstein shocks, Rancho steering stabilizer, Cognito pitman/idler support kit, Kryptonite tie rods, green keys, Fuel D525 20" Revolver, Interco SS M16 37x13.50
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.