H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Elcova Rookie

AudioJoe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade Kit

Hi All,

My Name is Joe Dahlquist, I work in the OEM division at Rockford Fosgate and wanted to post a short note on the plug and play audio upgrade kit we developed for the H2 SUV and SUT.

I noticed there were a few threads going (older ones with questions that were unanswered). I'm quite proud of this kit, my team and I spent over a year developing it and wanted to share some info.

What is it? - A plug and play upgrade to the stock Bose audio system found in the H2 SUT and SUV. By "plug-and-play", I mean no wires cut, no vehicle modifications and an ability to remove it entirely in minutes when you sell the vehicle, get your hands on a new 2008 wink-wink, or need to simply pull the subwoofer box out to fold the rear seats down, this kit works with both the Navigation and non-nav 6-CD headunits.

Gimme Details - The kit includes the following: (1) Custom molded subwoofer enclosure with a 150W RMS amp and 10" long-throw subwoofer which is installed under the driver side rear seat (downfiring), it fits the contours like a glove as it's a direct mold of the area where it is designed to reside. The enclosure is not mounted to the vehicle and is easily removable (weighs around 30lbs). (1) Wiring harness kit with all needed plug and play adapters to derive audio signal, power and ground from the vehicle. (1 pr.) 6.5" 3-way PUNCH speakers that replace the front door Bose speakers to provide more output with greater clarity. These speakers come with mounting templates and wiring adapters specific to the H2. Logos and zip ties round out the kit.

So... Why? - Easy, the H2 is a killer rig. It deserves a audio system worthy of it, and many, if not most owners are not planning a full-blown, high dollar audio system that takes up valuable cargo space etc. but still demand a good audio system. If you are one of those audio "fanatics" who want something over the top, our aftermarket products are just what the Dr. ordered. For the rest, this kit was designed to work seamlessly with your factory audio system and provide the bass and clarity the factory system falls short on. This kit is very easy to install and average install time is 30-40 min.

How does it stack up? - In a good automotive sound system, ideal results are obtained by designing a system to fit an application and achieve a goal, we did just that with this kit. It is a night and day difference compared to stock. Designed, Engineered and tuned specifically for the H2. We tuned and tinkered until we were happy with the results and would be happy with the kit in our own vehicle.

Where do I get it? - Predator Motorsports http://predatormotorsports.com is our distributor for this kit, they supply to many Hummer dealerships around the US and to notable H2 accessory dealers. They are in stock and available.

More info please. - See our website page for these kits at http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/oem/hummer.asp. Click on either model for the details page. Feel free to email specific questions to me at joe.dahlquist@rockfordcorp.com

I would be happy to email you a flyer with a graph showing before and after frequency response graphs for the H2.

Sorry for sounding like a sales guy, I really am a product guy!

Joe

Last edited by AudioJoe : 04-18-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

MattRoberts123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJoe
Hi All,

My Name is Joe Dahlquist, I work in the OEM division at Rockford Fosgate and wanted to post a short note on the plug and play audio upgrade kit we developed for the H2 SUV and SUT.

I noticed there were a few threads going (older ones with questions that were unanswered). I'm quite proud of this kit, my team and I spent over a year developing it and wanted to share some info.

What is it? - A plug and play upgrade to the stock Bose audio system found in the H2 SUT and SUV. By "plug-and-play", I mean no wires cut, no vehicle modifications and an ability to remove it entirely in minutes when you sell the vehicle, get your hands on a new 2008 wink-wink, or need to simply pull the subwoofer box out to fold the rear seats down, this kit works with both the Navigation and non-nav 6-CD headunits.

Gimme Details - The kit includes the following: (1) Custom molded subwoofer enclosure with a 150W RMS amp and 10" long-throw subwoofer which is installed under the driver side rear seat (downfiring), it fits the contours like a glove as it's a direct mold of the area where it is designed to reside. The enclosure is not mounted to the vehicle and is easily removable (weighs around 30lbs). (1) Wiring harness kit with all needed plug and play adapters to derive audio signal, power and ground from the vehicle. (1 pr.) 6.5" 3-way PUNCH speakers that replace the front door Bose speakers to provide more output with greater clarity. These speakers come with mounting templates and wiring adapters specific to the H2. Logos and zip ties round out the kit.

So... Why? - Easy, the H2 is a killer rig. It deserves a audio system worthy of it, and many, if not most owners are not planning a full-blown, high dollar audio system that takes up valuable cargo space etc. but still demand a good audio system. If you are one of those audio "fanatics" who want something over the top, our aftermarket products are just what the Dr. ordered. For the rest, this kit was designed to work seamlessly with your factory audio system and provide the bass and clarity the factory system falls short on. This kit is very easy to install and average install time is 30-40 min.

How does it stack up? - In a good automotive sound system, ideal results are obtained by designing a system to fit an application and achieve a goal, we did just that with this kit. It is a night and day difference compared to stock. Designed, Engineered and tuned specifically for the H2. We tuned and tinkered until we were happy with the results and would be happy with the kit in our own vehicle.

Where do I get it? - Predator Motorsports http://predatormotorsports.com is our distributor for this kit, they supply to many Hummer dealerships around the US and to notable H2 accessory dealers. They are in stock and available.

More info please. - See our website page for these kits at http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/oem/hummer.asp. Click on either model for the details page. Feel free to email specific questions to me at joe.dahlquist@rockfordcorp.com

I would be happy to email you a flyer with a graph showing before and after frequency response graphs for the H2.

Sorry for sounding like a sales guy, I really am a product guy!

Joe

Joe,

What about if you have an aftermarket stereo and just want the subwoofer setup?

Carless... riding the bus... Trying to decide on which 08 H2 to get
Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Elcova Rookie

Hi Matt,

Because the kit is designed with a fixed amplifier gain (optimized for the signal output level of the stock stereo), your chances of good results with this kit are pretty slim. If your aftermarket headunit has more or less output signal strength, the subwoofer gain curve would be left to chance and may either clip too early or never provide full output power (most likely somewhere in between those polar opposites, but where is the question)...

The subwoofer amp gain curve was setup to match the output level curve of the stock stereo to sound ideal at any volume level selected on the headunit in relation to the rest of the full range speakers in the H2, from min to max. At max, if memory serves, the stock headunit makes 350mV unclipped, with it's balanced differential outputs.

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

You mention that there is no wires to cut and it is plug and play. Does that include the door replacement speakers as well and you mention door template. Does that mean there is cutting involved for the doors to get these speakers to fit?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

the power to sub and speakers, is it being supplied for he stock headunit or is there a bult-in amp with the sub enclosure. I really like the idea, however, i frequently fold-down the rear seats for space. Honestly, how manageable is the enclosure when removing?

Also, you mentioned plug and play... can you eaborate from where you are getting the signal for the sub. The 3-ways are almost self explanitory though im assuming ya'll might be using a signal booster or converter if ya'll are using am afermarket amp.

anyways, seems like a good design, if i didn't use that space as much as i do, i would probably be all over this!!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Elcova Rookie

Hi prplprowlr,

indeed no wires are cut in the install. We include a "T-harness" that derives input signal to the amplified sub. You disconnect the main 24 pin factory harness behind the stereo and plug our T-harness in it's place, then plug the factory harness into the other end of our T-harness. (When done from the headunit out, it looks like: Stereo|T-Harness|Factory Harness. A 4-pin pig tail sends signal from the T-harness to the amplified sub without interrupting that signal, as it's used to drive the full range speakers in the H2. For the front speakers, the mounting template guides you to make 4 holes to mount the upgraded 3-way 6.5" speakers, they drop in and connect to the factory 2-pin connectors with the aid of included speaker wiring adapters.

Hi obzidian,

The power for the amplified sub is derived in the fusebox and carried by our vehicle overlay harness that includes power, ground and signal to the enclosure. The amplifier for the subwoofer is mounted in the enclosure. It's very manageable when removing and re-installing. Fold the seat cushion forward, lay the enclosure down, it's molded shape makes positioning it self explanitory, connect the two mating connectors - Done. Takes all of maybe 30 seconds to add or remove the subwoofer (removing the sub has no effect on the rest of the system, it just breaks your heart to listen to music without it). It's not really an aftermarket amp, although the technology is the same, it is custom for this product, no signal booster needed, we just designed the amp around the application, power output, gain, eq and all.

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by AudioJoe : 04-19-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

ok, hmmm.. interesting, you could sell a glass of water as clear pepsi if you really wanted to!!

nah, seriously, the more i think about this, the more im starting to like is simplicity and possible audio enchancment without changing a whole lot.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

speednr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

so whats the price, how about a group buy? or just give me it really cheap and I will let everyone know how good it is.

ANY SPELLING ERRORS ARE TYPOS, OR , THEY ARE DONE ON PURPOSE.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lean Machine is off the scale

Group buy would definitely help my motivation to purchase

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior - SOLD

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior and 6'' Fabtech Lift
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Humm_MeSUT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Machine
Group buy would definitely help my motivation to purchase

Definately! Same here.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Predator sells this system for $1300.

A group buy of 5 or more should warrant at least a $300 discount...I would hope.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

I would be in for a group buy as I almost bought this last night but wanted to be sure about the template in the door first.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Elcova Rookie

Hi Guys,

I think a group buy deal would be great. As with any, the more kits we can get in the group buy, the better the discount from retail will be. Give me a day or two to chat with the powers that be and set something up. I'll post details as soon as possible. Please understand I can't say we will do a group buy deal for certian yet, but i do like the idea! Could you suggest an Admin to contact for setting something like this up?

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Hummer Novice

DanimalH2 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I ordered this in January and finally got delivery a couple of weeks ago. Installed just as Joe said in less than an Hour and it converts the stock Bose system to an unbelievable Sound factory. It is pricey, but for the conveinance of install and the time that was put into the custom H2 design this system cannot be beat. Takes up little to no usable space and clips out in seconds if you want to have the tailgate open and seats folded. I couldn't wait for the system to arrive and now that I have it I am really glad I didn't cancel the order at the first of March. If you can get a group discount all the better. I recommend this over having a shop custom build you a box and trash your Bose stock system for an aftermarket one. That will cost more in the long run and you won't get much more in the way of sound than this upgrade unless you lose all of the usable space and sacrifice the folddown midgate and window function.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Elcova Rookie

Thanks DanimalH2, always cool to get good feedback on the kit. Sorry for the wait on delivery, not sure what the issue was there (they have been in stock).
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Elcova Newbie

LiveFromNY is on a distinguished road

I called Predator today to order one and I think I'm going to pass just based on their level of service.

1st call - no answer and eventually received a generic recording that my party was not answering and my call was being disconnected.

2nd call - Young woman answered and I told her I had a question about the system. She transferred me to someone else who's VM picked up and promptly disconnected me.

3rd call - no answer again and the same generic disconnect message.

If they aren't answering the phone when I want to spend $1300 with them, I can only imagine the service I can expect should I have a problem or need service.

Last edited by LiveFromNY : 04-23-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Thanks DanimalH2, always cool to get good feedback on the kit. Sorry for the wait on delivery, not sure what the issue was there (they have been in stock).

Can we not get this kit anywhere else? It seems their is an interest here for the system and i know I am but want to be sure we get customer support and dont have to wait months on the product to arrive and i still beleive we should get a discount if we can get at least 5 commitments.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Elcova Rookie

Hi Guys,

Working on some options right now. Hate to make anyone wait on good audio, but a little patience will soon pay off.

I'll post more info on purchase options and a group buy deal here as soon as I can.

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road

How many Ohms are the Fosgate door speakers? I have heard bad things about changing the door speakers and still running them to the factory Bose amp. Do you have to crank up the volume a lot more to get the same sound?

Thanks
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer
Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

genob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Working on some options right now. Hate to make anyone wait on good audio, but a little patience will soon pay off.

I'll post more info on purchase options and a group buy deal here as soon as I can.

Thanks
Joe

i'm definitely in!!