H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Elcova Newbie

Jean_luc_lejoly is on a distinguished road
Question STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE comes on on the DIC

Hello, I just bought a H3/2006, and I have it since 7/3. today 7/9 my DIC did show STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE when I started.

Of course I will have to go to the dealer, but I want to know if it is dangerous, or not. The H3 seems to still drive just fine. If it is not dangerous, then I think I can wait untill my first service at 3000 miles.

Other than that a great car
Old 07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

humma_H3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE comes on on the DIC

doesnt sound dangerous, but I would not recc. waiting untill 3000 mi to get it checked out. earilest convience is best.

welcome.

matt
cincy

LOCKERS RULE!! Open Diffs DROOL!!!
2006 Black Hummer H3
Old 07-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Elcova Newbie

Jean_luc_lejoly is on a distinguished road

thx, at least not dangerous, I will call dealer to arrange to check it
Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

The exact same thing happened to me but actually as i drove it off the lot. I took it to the dealer and thye said it was the ABS encoder or something like that. It is not dangerous however your anti-lock barakes may not kick in. what this means is that on slipery roads if you press the breaks had they may lock, other than that you will not notice a difference at all and it will not damage anythin else.

You may have to wait for a part to be ordered and at that time which was march 06 they were on backorder, i was told it was a common problem. I drove mine for 500 miles while waiting for the part.

If you wana be sure if you have the same problem before you get to the dealer, while the message is on the DIC press the blue onstar button and tell them about the message and ask them whats wrong. They can run a remote diagnostic while you are driving or parked and will tell you. Thats how i found out what the problem was before the dealer told me.

Dont worry about it, its a minor problem, easy fix! Enjoy your truck!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Elcova Newbie

pschmitz is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE comes on on the DIC

Same thing happened to me a week ago. I have 2500 miles on my H3. OnStar said there were issues with the ABS, but it was not serious. In talking to the service rep - he confirmed it was not serious.

The service rep did give me a work-around to see if it was a "glitch". I pulled over, put the H3 in neutral and and manually turned of the traction control.

Then manually turned it back on. This I was told would reset the "computer". Which it did. The DIC went back to being happy and I have not seen the problem since.

I will have it checked in the near future when more convenient.

Hope that helps.
Paul
2006 H3 Artic White (and all the whizzys)
Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Same thing had happened to me about 2 weeks after I got mine. I had braked right in a water puddle at a stop sign and the Stab Sys/Traction Fail message came up. Probably just a coincidence with the timing of the message. However, when I called OnStar to do a diagnostic check, they didn't show any problem. I took it to the dealer the next day and they had to replace a sensor. As the posts above said, it is not dangerous. Also, as mentioned above, the worst that would happen is that your anti-locks would not function ... you would have regular braking. Enjoy your H3 .. it's like nothing else!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Elcova Newbie

Unhappy H3 Owner is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE comes on on the DIC

My wife encountered this same problem yesterday on her way home from the store. I did not belive her at first. This morning on our way to Church travleing down the highway the ABS and Traction Control lights came on. Then in the display it said Traction Control failure/ ABS failure. We decided to go straight to the dealer. To our dismay they were closed. So we drove around town looking for a new car to replace this one since we have had many problems with this H3 since last November. Between roof lights rattleing to the head being replaced due to miss firing, we have had enough. So as we we leaving another dealrship the H3's traction control system started clicking and grinding very loud and was trying to stop the vehicle. The more gas I gave it the more it fought back to stop the vehicle. I limpted it back to the closed dealership and proceeded to call the dealership's emergancy phone #. It got me know where other than very mad. I am done with this truck and want my money back. It is nothing but a pile of junk. I am sorry to say this cause I really liked this vehicle but I can't go on have issues like this on a regular basis, I payed way too much money for things like this to be happening so often. I left the dealler a message on there voice mail demanding a buy back program or something like this. From the start this dealler has treated us like idiots. I am fed up. I wish I could afford an H2 but not right now. I will prevale and will keep you all updated. Thank you for all your suggestions and information that you give.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappy H3 Owner
I will prevale and will keep you all updated.

good lukck with that, im sure they'll buy back your truck no questions asked

Oh and why an H2, get an H1 while your at it, i think that would be a better route to take.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My wife encountered this same problem yesterday on her way home from the store. I did not belive her at first. This morning on our way to Church travleing down the highway the ABS and Traction Control lights came on. Then in the display it said Traction Control failure/ ABS failure. We decided to go straight to the dealer. To our dismay they were closed. So we drove around town looking for a new car to replace this one since we have had many problems with this H3 since last November. Between roof lights rattleing to the head being replaced due to miss firing, we have had enough. So as we we leaving another dealrship the H3's traction control system started clicking and grinding very loud and was trying to stop the vehicle. The more gas I gave it the more it fought back to stop the vehicle. I limpted it back to the closed dealership and proceeded to call the dealership's emergancy phone #. It got me know where other than very mad. I am done with this truck and want my money back. It is nothing but a pile of junk. I am sorry to say this cause I really liked this vehicle but I can't go on have issues like this on a regular basis, I payed way too much money for things like this to be happening so often. I left the dealler a message on there voice mail demanding a buy back program or something like this. From the start this dealler has treated us like idiots. I am fed up. I wish I could afford an H2 but not right now. I will prevale and will keep you all updated. Thank you for all your suggestions and information that you give.
Dealer not open on Sunday. Heathens!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Sorry if I'm suspicious, but a first post, that mentions everything that is mentioned on this site is suspicious to me; especially when still insisting, "I really liked the vehicle." (Not the past tense.)
If I had a vehicle that had as many problems as you stated, I would hate the vehicle.

As for the stab system/traction control failure, if the ABS is not mentioned, the ABS will not be affected.
You can try the moving between different switch positions (4 Wheel, 4 Wheel High Lock, 4 Wheel Low Lock, and it sometimes works. If not, most likely it is the TCCM (trans/case control module) or the t/case encoder motor. Both take very little time to replace; if in stock.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

shut it off and start it back up , then drive it up hells gate like BABHUMV did to test it . if you dont die , dont sweat about it
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
So as we we leaving another dealrship the H3's traction control system started clicking and grinding very loud and was trying to stop the vehicle. The more gas I gave it the more it fought back to stop the vehicle. I limpted it back to the closed dealership and proceeded to call the dealership's emergancy phone #.
This part sounds to me as if they accidentally pushed the 4 wheel, 4 wheel low lock or 4 wheel high lock while trying to find a way to turn off the Stab SYS/Traction Fail Service Light. They were trying to turn the wheel, go in reverse, or drive to 'force' it to drive while in the wrong 4 wheel position. It would definitely buck and not want to move correctly on the straightaway. If only you had waited until the dealer's service dept was open on Monday! You probably only needed the Stab Trac sensor replaced , as I had done. Only took a few minutes. And, you could have safely driven it until Monday. The Stab Trac would not have effected your brakes. Now it looks like you tried to drive it some distance with the wrong 4 wheel position pressed .. thus causing it to 'limp' back. Don't you have the Hummer Manual?????? Even for peace of mind, you could have called OnStar and asked them to do a diagnostic test for you .. takes 30 seconds. They would have told you BEFORE you began clicking away on the 4 wheel positions (otherwise it wouldn't have limped, clicked or make a grind sound)that there weren't any outstanding problems being shown. Sounds elementary, but maybe you should read the manual before just jumping in and driving. You would have had a better working knowledge of your new Hummer.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Elcova Newbie

Thumbs down Re: STAB SYS/TRACTION FAIL SERVICE comes on on the DIC

Ya, this may be my first post but I am not an idiot. It was in 4High, we had just been driving on the highway, got off the exit went from one location to another all within 1 mile of each other, and when it happened it was on a straight path. The Stab Sys was even off. And for that other guy the ABS light was on along with ABS system failure in display. I liked the vehicle before this all started happening, but now I am done with it. If this happened while we were on the highway we both would not be here now!!!!! Maybe when Hummer works out alot of these problems I would buy another one, but I learned my leason, don't buy a vehicle on it's first year out on the market.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Elcova Newbie

As for Hmmm3, we did call OnStar, they said everything was fine. They also said to keep driving it until Monday or Tuesday. It is not a oopps I pushed that button when I shouldn't have. I did not just buy it yesterday. This is not my first 4wd vehicle. I am not saying all H3's are junk it just seems that the one that I purchased has many problems since the day I drove it off the lot. As a daily driver for my wife I am concerned for her safety and do not need a vehicle that is going to have issues like this on a regular basis. Would you want your wife in a vehicle that has drive train issues like this. I don't think so.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Please do sell it and get something else as soon as you can. You might just be a frustrated owner but you come across as a troll or AE based on your posts especially comments like wishing you could get an H2. Like the H2s have any less issues than the H3. Any vehicle make or model with have some vehicles with issues. If you are truly an H3 owner with all the issue then sorry you had them but they sure the hell are not common wide spread issues.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

yzergod is on a distinguished road

That is funny. The same thing happens to me as we were coming off of Black Bear Pass this weekend. I attributed it to either:
1. water from a puddle messing with the sensor, or
2. me not putting the tranny into neutral before pushing buttons to take it out of 4Hi.

I called OnStar and they gave me the same "We don't really know" answer suggesting I take it to the dealer. Once in a parking lot, I put it in neutral and shifted it back into 4Hi then 4Low and then I shut the H3 off. Error gone and no problems since.

I will have the dealer replace the sensor next time I drive the 180 to go visit them.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Uhhappy: Whenever someone's first post is nothing but complaints, it is easy to assume you are a troll and just causing problems.

I'm still trying to figure out how and why, the ABS system can apply the brakes, since the failsafe in any ABS system is off, and normal non-ABS brakes take over.

As for my other statement, I stand by it. If I had this much trouble with a vehicle, I would never state I really like it, I would state I really hate it; regardless of who manufactured the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Unhappy H3 owner ...so, what happened when you requested a buy back .. or, what did the dealer end up telling you after you had left your H3 sitting there sadly? UPDATE please!!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ya, this may be my first post but I am not an idiot. It was in 4High, we had just been driving on the highway, got off the exit went from one location to another all within 1 mile of each other, and when it happened it was on a straight path. The Stab Sys was even off. And for that other guy the ABS light was on along with ABS system failure in display. I liked the vehicle before this all started happening, but now I am done with it. If this happened while we were on the highway we both would not be here now!!!!! Maybe when Hummer works out alot of these problems I would buy another one, but I learned my leason, don't buy a vehicle on it's first year out on the market.

Why was the stab sys off, sounds like random buttons pushed to me, or do you like to drive around with it always off?