H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Humerican is off the scale

Hi all. Am fairly new here.

Has anyone come across clear tail light lens for the H3? I have seen them for the H2 but nothing for the H3.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

Good question. Ive been looking for some nice euro lights for months.Ive E-mailed the top companys with very little response. Stylin Concepts has one of the bigger selections of after market tail light stuff and I call them about once a month for any up dates. No luck yet. Im sure there will be some out soon. I just google--- Euro lights--- about 1 a month but no luck yet. Maybe someone will see this thread and post a link or two. See ya
Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

HummerHawaii is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Humerican:

Has anyone come across clear tail light lens for the H3? I have seen them for the H2 but nothing for the H3.

SAME HERE..!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Humerican:

My parts guy says they are on their way....one of the same companies that are making them now for the H2.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tail light Lens

* BUMP *

Anyone seem them yet for the H3?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsnBars
Good question. Ive been looking for some nice euro lights for months.Ive E-mailed the top companys with very little response. Stylin Concepts has one of the bigger selections of after market tail light stuff and I call them about once a month for any up dates. No luck yet. Im sure there will be some out soon. I just google--- Euro lights--- about 1 a month but no luck yet. Maybe someone will see this thread and post a link or two. See ya

Euro lights will be out in a few months...good luck in installing them. In the GM Euro light, you have the park/brake on top, in the middle you have the amber turn signal bulb inside a clear lens, just below that you have your clear backup.
Problem is, the wiring. On the H3 only one wire (other than ground) goes to the existing turn/park/brake bulb, and the bulb is totally controlled by the BCM. It turns on the bulb full time for park, flashes for turn, and turns them on for brake.
I am not saying you could not do it, but it will be more than a splice here or a splice there. You would most likely have to disconnect the BCM from the circuits.
European vehicles get a different BCM that has different wire circuits for control of the rear taillights. Basically, you have one circuit from the BCM to control the park and brake, and another for the turn/hazard.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Euro lights will be out in a few months
Can I ask who will be making them / carrying them? How do you know it will be a few months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
European vehicles get a different BCM that has different wire circuits for control of the rear taillights. Basically, you have one circuit from the BCM to control the park and brake, and another for the turn/hazard.
Do you know if the is a European HUMMER BCM? Do you know where this BCM is located in the vehicle?

Here we typically mod the vehicles by

(1) removing the turn signal bulbs
(2) replacing the backup bulbs with amber
(3) running a splice from the original turn signals to the backup lights

Thus, the backup lights and the turn signals become amber (and emit through the same clear backup light lens). I HATE THIS MOD! However, it allows the vehicle to pass inspection.

Attached is a photo of an additional mod they do. The left is a backup light and the right is a rear fog light.
Attached Images

Last edited by mountainbiker : 08-23-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Hummer Guru

GM will be including them on the European vehicles, as required per law in some European countries.
BCM is located in the right front kick panel area.
I'll also bet they are splicing in at the cluster for the turn signal circuit going to the backup light. Splicing into the wire going into the park bulb, would make the backup light/turn signal also brake lamp.

I made a mistake in my previous message (long night), there are two circuits to the rear taillamp bulbs. The brown wire is the park lamp circuit and lights the rear lights when the lamps are turned On.
The dark blue wires are the turn signal and brake lamp circuits to the rear bulbs. The BCM controls the turn/brake lamp circuits per input from the brake switch/turn signal switch/hazard switch.

The only separate wires for the turn signals go to the turn signal indicators in the cluster. These are the two wires I had to tap into for my signal mirrors to operate as turn signals and not as brake mirrors as well as signal mirrors.

I have not seen the wiring for the new BCM, but was told a new European BCM would be used to control the turn signal and brake lamp circuits.

Could the European assemblies be installed and used...yes. However, a person would have to run two new signal wires from the cluster wires to the amber bulbs for turn signals (no problem, just use two relays to handle the additional amperage to the bulbs in the rear), and run two new wires from the brake lamp circuit to the rear park/brake (red) bulbs, also using a few relays.
This would isolate the BCM from these two circuits. However, it might set a code, since the BCM monitors the park/turn circuit for bulb outage. However, I'm not sure if on the H3, a bulb outage code has been turn on by the programmers; its just that the BCM is capable of holding this code.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Hummer Professional

Wow as much as I'd like to do that, it sounds like it would still be a while before overseas European operations would be established enough for me to walk-in and order the tail light lens and BCM. Plus, we might not be sure if it is the same form size. (For example, my U.S. Ford Explorer differs a whole lot from the European ones in the read lighting department.)

In my above picture, if you look under the tail light lens assemblies--you see what appears to be a round hole with a cap. Do you know what this is? Is it covering a bolt, or can a wire be snaked through at this location? The reason I ask is that the auxillary backup and fog lamps (currently mounted at the bottom of the bumper) could be replaced with a different set and mounted in this location with the circle.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Hummer Guru

I'm not sure what is under it, but on the European vehicles, there is a reflector added to this location.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Hummer Professional

I assume the reflectors are non-electrical.

In July I went to the Excel Motor Show in London. Unfortunately, the HUMMER H3 they had there was a U.S. spec'd one. I thought the UK HUMMER dealer (Bauer Millett) would offer a more "high tech" mod, but they would do it like I did. Their recent email stated "Yes, that is about the best way to do the modification. Of course, you will then need to add accessory fog and reverse lamps. We use single bracket lamps that hang from the bumper and are available at most car accessory shops."

Would you happen to have any pictures or URLs to the overseas spec'd HUMMERs? Or do you have any part numbers?