H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Photos of YOUR H2

Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Love them or hate them, here they are...

New brushguard just installed.

This thing is solid as a rock and fits perfectly into place. I'm very happy with the way this turned out. Still debating on whether or not to add the lights to the front...

Side view.

Here you can see how it secures down. The nuts on the U-Bolt control how tightly it sits, and the plastic rest gives just enough to make it sit extremely firm into place. It doesn't move an inch no matter how hard you shake it!

Rear Bumper Side View

Yeah, I ended up with the corner guards. They started to grow on me after I initially saw them. Kinda like how I didn't like the Chevy Avalanche when I first saw it either. Again, this thing is TOUGH! There is no movement at all in the corner guards.

Another Rear view

Notice the plastic sticking out between the bumper and the tire. That actually will be trimmed down. So while this isn't exactly a "bolt on" addition, it does in theory give you a better departure angle in the right circumstances. As that whole space would be be where the bumper was stock. You do also have to trim the stock fender flares slightly. I'll explain below.

Closer rear shot

You can see here that the bumper actually wraps slightly around the body. This is why the fenders have to be trimmed slightly, but in return you get a lot of body protection on the rear 1/2 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Another rear shot

The fit is perfect. I had to call Jim in Oregon because I just didn't think it was going to fit. Sure enough once I got it perfectly into place everything lined up milimeters into place.

Part of the problem lining it up was that I did the install myself, which must have looked hilarious to anyone walking by. The rear bumper weighs considerably more than front bumper does, even with the winch installed. And to make it worse, most of the weight is in the corner guards making it weird to hold solo from the center.

First I tried just lifting one side and setting it on the hitch, but as mentioned, the thing is meant to fit perfectly on the H2, and has to be pretty much lined up, and slid on horizontally.

I ended up taking a ratcheting tie down from the top of one corner guard to the other and then putting it on my back so I could support the weight with my back, and have both hands free to slide it into place. Amazingly enough I got it on with no damage to my truck, or my body!

This thing is solid as a rock and fits perfectly into place. I'm very happy with the way this turned out. Still debating on whether or not to add the lights to the front...

Side view.

Here you can see how it secures down. The nuts on the U-Bolt control how tightly it sits, and the plastic rest gives just enough to make it sit extremely firm into place. It doesn't move an inch no matter how hard you shake it!

Rear Bumper Side View

Yeah, I ended up with the corner guards. They started to grow on me after I initially saw them. Kinda like how I didn't like the Chevy Avalanche when I first saw it either. Again, this thing is TOUGH! There is no movement at all in the corner guards.

Another Rear view

Notice the plastic sticking out between the bumper and the tire. That actually will be trimmed down. So while this isn't exactly a "bolt on" addition, it does in theory give you a better departure angle in the right circumstances. As that whole space would be be where the bumper was stock. You do also have to trim the stock fender flares slightly. I'll explain below.

Closer rear shot

You can see here that the bumper actually wraps slightly around the body. This is why the fenders have to be trimmed slightly, but in return you get a lot of body protection on the rear 1/2 that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Another rear shot

The fit is perfect. I had to call Jim in Oregon because I just didn't think it was going to fit. Sure enough once I got it perfectly into place everything lined up milimeters into place.

Part of the problem lining it up was that I did the install myself, which must have looked hilarious to anyone walking by. The rear bumper weighs considerably more than front bumper does, even with the winch installed. And to make it worse, most of the weight is in the corner guards making it weird to hold solo from the center.

First I tried just lifting one side and setting it on the hitch, but as mentioned, the thing is meant to fit perfectly on the H2, and has to be pretty much lined up, and slid on horizontally.

I ended up taking a ratcheting tie down from the top of one corner guard to the other and then putting it on my back so I could support the weight with my back, and have both hands free to slide it into place. Amazingly enough I got it on with no damage to my truck, or my body!

Side view.

Rear Bumper Side View

Another Rear view

Closer rear shot

Another rear shot

Old 05-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Why didn't you at least get it in black?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 PM

johnnyrako is off the scale

It's not horrible but I think black would be better. Also, what's up with the clamps? It looks like you are getting ready to weld or something. I don't care for those at all. It's not a bad looking guard.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim,
How much does all that stuff weigh? Also I agree with the others, I think black would have been the move.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:53 PM

The freight company had the Rear Bumper, Front Brushguard, some lights, hardware, and all the rugs they had wrapped it in weighing 395 lbs.

The front bumper is pretty light. I would say it was about 100 lbs by itself.

Everything is much lighter than the old stuff I had. This was very evident when I swapped out the front and I then went back and took a few turns back off my torsion bars as it looked to ride up in the front.

I get the "it would look better in black" comment all the time. Probably right, but it's too late for that. Maybe after I've beaten it so badly that spray paint can no longer cover up the scars I'll have it redone in Black.

But I'm still not done with it. I plan on getting the lower black trim color matched and a partial wrap on the lower 1/2 in that same color with some graphics and designs on it.

I always liked the looks of the Red/Grey 2 tone Sierra pick ups, so I figured this would look pretty cool 2 tone as well. Just haven't got that far yet.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I still don't get it. Definitely not my taste.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:39 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

Nice work, Jim -yet another use for a tiedown strap. Now you can go practice running into things...

I've complained about the clamps too, and they're working on moving them inboard [if the freakin' handles were black at least they wouldn't be so noticable].

And, hey, glad YOU like the silver...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:55 PM

This being the 3rd Heavy Duty Brushguard I've owned, and the 4th clamping system I've used....

I think it's by far the best.

The SMA one I had used T-Pins up front. These worked out OK, and looked pretty cool, but the biggest problem with them was they didn't secure the brushguard well enough, it still had movement. In addition the pins were sometimes a pain to get in, and since you have to drill the pin holes, they started to rust over time.

We tired 2 different clamping systems with the Tough Country guard. They hold the guard down nice and tight, but there were problems with the strength of the clamps, and we had a few bend on us. They were also a bit difficult to engage and release when properly set to hold the guard in place.

The ones on the RA setup, while not the most attractive option, by far is the most functional. It holds the guard down nice and tight, and is easy to engage and disengage, since nothing was drilled, nothing will rust.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim,
I would have bet the farm that stuff was heavier than that. It looks like it weighs a ton. Just a thought on the paint, if you beat them up too bad where they need repainting you should consider painting them with that black Duplicolor spray on bedliner paint that PhilD used to paint his U steps. I like the texture.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=133106684 &r=813105194#813105194
That would probably look awesome.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:32 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

The clamps work great, just need to be less obtrusive -although the Hummer mechanics all liked them just fine [I think they just want something that won't break].

I did check all the other guards out too and agree, well, obviously, as I paid dearly to get one. And although I don't really love the look of the corner protectors, it's the only way to support the weight of the truck. [They'll look much better when they're all scratched up.] Now if they'll make something for the TOP corners...
Old 05-25-2004, 03:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spike:
Jim,
I would have bet the farm that stuff was heavier than that. It looks like it weighs a ton. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I would have thought it as well. The steel used is thinner than that of my Tough Country stuff, but it is gusseted in such a manner that it is actually stronger. You'd be amazed at how light the front is. The rear is much heavier, and you can see that it is renforced much more than the front front end, with several layers of steel, and lots of gusets. I suspect that it is because the entire bumper is supported by the 4 bolts from the rear recovery points, and the corner guards are designed to withstand the weight of the vehicle.

The front bumper is so light that I began to think it would buckle if I hit it to hard. I disproved that theory many times over at Katemcy this weekend.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of the inside of the rear bumper before mounting it.

Oh yeah, the brush guard is pretty light as well. I was able to hold it up with one arm while securing the bolts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just a thought on the paint, if you beat them up too bad where they need repainting you should consider painting them with that black Duplicolor spray on bedliner paint that PhilD used to paint his U steps. I like the texture.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=133106684 &r=813105194#813105194
That would probably look awesome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I've decided that when the time comes, I'll probably find out whatever powder GOBI uses on their racks and use that. It is the closest finsih I've seen that seems to match the trim. It's only semi-glossy, and I like that. Then I'd probably get some of that paint you are talking about to do touch ups.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:42 PM

alecs wife is off the scale

Jim, your setup looks great. I also like the silver & maroon combination you chose. Your truck is turning out great. I look forward to some field reports on the side supports.

I agree on the brush guard. It is the first guard on the market truly designed to take a beating. I had a 250lb guy stand on mine when it was open. Solid as a rock!!

Road Armor is building tough quality products that truly support the DNA of the H2. They truly say and depict off-road.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 05-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R2:
Road Armor is building tough quality products that truly support the DNA of the H2. They truly say and depict off-road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you just type that with a mouth full of RA flute yogurt?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

HummerH2 is off the scale

This guy bought the same bumber except in black.http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=189105836
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R2:
Road Armor is building tough quality products that truly support the DNA of the H2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, right.....if you think the DNA of the H2 lies within rednecks.

They truly say and depict off-road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly what purpose do the serve off-road. If you feel you need something like that for protection off-road, you are going to end up with a lot more things broken than those protect.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PARAGON:
Exactly what purpose do the serve off-road. If you feel you need something like that for protection off-road, you are going to end up with a lot more things broken than those protect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nah... Nobody could possibly get damage in that area during the course of normal mild off roading....

Old 05-26-2004, 05:47 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Yeah, the expensive part of that ride was that rear corner. Doors were cheap to fix....
Old 05-26-2004, 07:23 PM

alecs wife is off the scale

Those side guards are going to be very helpful in heavily wooded areas. I have similar dents on my truck that could have been obverted with the guards.

I truly look forward to testing them out.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all