H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road
Default Will Air Suspension strand me?

We are planning a six week adventure from New York to Anchorage, Alaska this summer. I've gotten route information from the Canadian Government on traveling through Yukon Territory and what extras to pack. My question is, if the air suspension fails, will the H2 be driveable with a list or slope to the failed side, or will I be stuck in the middle of nowhere with the body down on the tire? I'm taking extra tools, an extra set of wiper blades, two extra five gallon gas cans, an extra mounted tire lashed to the roof (for a total of two), extra headlights, duct tape, extra radiator hoses, engine oil and coolant, and an extra engine belt.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will Air Suspension strand me?

Worst case you will be riding on the bump stops, tires if factory size wont hit the body but it will be a very bumpy ride
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

SMITH23H2SUT is on a distinguished road

Changing tires in the cold? Not for me. I have air suspension also, and the rear air compressor built into the cargo area. I believe all H2s with air suspension have the compressor. Why not take the spare off the roof and throw two more 5 gallon gas cans up there instead. Go to Pepboys or Autozone and get some tire plugs. Actually get a couple of those kits, if you get a flat just plug it while tire is still on vehicle and use your compressor to inflate your tire. I've done this both times my tire has been flat. My spare hasn't been removed from tire carrier ever. Good luck. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

I will agree with Smith here
I have yet to patch a tire, but if you consider the weight and fuel.... you are probably better off carrying a little weight as possible and saving your gas while also.... carrying more if needed.
Yes a flat will keep you from getting home, but thats an easy fix with a 15 dollar repair kit that weighs about a pound.
Compare that to a carying probably an additional 100 pounds of tire on your roof..... you will need the extra gas you are carrying just to make up for the extra weight.
Now the gas you are carrying (whether you carry what you have in the tank, or the extra cans, or you get more cans and put them on the top), will get you further in.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I made the trip in my old H3 in 2005 to Dawson. I agree about not taking the extra tire, but a plug kit and extra gas. While you are going up that way you will find all the road work is done May through September in the Yukon, so be prepared for some slow going in mud and rock and some real offroading around the construction.
You HAVE TO visit Kluane National Park in the Yukon. It's on your way and it is one park where you can drive around two days and not see another person and some of the most breathtaking scenery you will ever see. You will get plenty advice in Whitehorse in where to go and what to do in Kluane. I made it as far north as Dawson and it was the trip of a lifetime. I still get Christmas cards from two of the couples I met on the trip. I made several posts from the Yukon on here. One last suggestion, take some rain gear along! Some of the nicest people I ever met in life were in Yukon Territory on that trip.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ghlight=kluane
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I've got one side of the garage filled with the things we're taking to the Yukon. The wife keeps adding things like blankets, classic CDs, a cell phone charger, and pillows. They tell me in most areas of the Yukon and Alberta, Canada a cell phone is useless. I'm thinking the GPS should have no problems as long as we stay on main roads. It's at times like these that I wish I had a regular H2 instead of an SUT to store STUFF . I'm figuring the roundtrip distance will be around 5700 miles and I hope to average 12 mpg for the trip. It's getting close and we are both excited about our "little adventure."

Hummer, like nothing else