H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road
Default Windshield Repair or Replace?

After two years, it finally happened, I got a rock in the windshield. I have other minor gouges but this starred and is about 2 inches across. Has anyone been satisfied with those auto glass repair shops? I have 1500 deductible insurance, which I'm guessing is about what it costs to replace the front windshield. I'd get it repaired, but it's on the driver's side, and I see it every time I drive and I'm not sure I'd be happy with that fill in process they use. Windshield replacement cost at the dealer anyone?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Windshield Repair or Replace?

Full glass coverage is only like $100 a year to add to a policy...in Colorado they use sand on the roads in the winter and I'm now on my sixth windshield. Just had one replaced yesterday and it's a simple matter of calling the glass company and giving them your policy number and you're on your way.

That star will only continue to grow and you'd most likely still see it when it was repaired. Glass through GM is $800 and glass through Safelite/Elite is $300 here in Denver.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
I have 1500 deductible insurance, which I'm guessing is about what it costs to replace the front windshield.
$1500 to replace the windshield? No way! I had my windshield replaced 6 months ago for less than $300.00 by Elite Auto Glass, and it was done at my property in the mountains 40mi. west of Denver.

Humdingah, where in CO do you live?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

X3. Elite kicks a$$! I have done 1 or 2 a year for the past 5 years with them. The dealers on teh other hand quote me 1K and $800 a few years back.

So yeah, $300 and you have a new one!!! The "fixes" in most cases leave you with a mark you can see still.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Buff is off the scale

Elite sucks. One of the reasons you have to get it replaced so much is the crap glass that they use. Make sure you are getting OEM glass, not the safelite crap that Elite/Safelite use.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Don't know where you are, but in Florida there is no deductible on windshields. Take it where you want and the insurance company picks up the tab!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 06-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

CG07SUT is on a distinguished road

Had mine repaired a short while ago as the company I work for wanted to try fixing first (damage occurred on business), so I gave it a try. I was dissatisfied from the moment they rolled my truck out of their bay. The repairs were so visible, I questioned whether they even did anything. I have since received 6-8 additional chips and one crack. I just have to schedule the replacement as the crack again hapened while working. Holding off until all of the highway resurfacing is done.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitUp
Castle Rock...what about yourself?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

The crack will only grow so bite the bullet.

I had a rock chip in mine and took it to the dealer (Vic Alfonso in Portland) to have them replace it during some warranty work. I called ahead and told them I only wanted OEM glass. They said no problem. I even talked to the service desk, found out who they were going to have replace it and called them too. Told them the same thing, OEM only. They said no problem.

I picked it up on a Friday evening and guess what: aftermarket glass. The service dept. was already closed so I was stuck with it (I live 100 miles away).

I recently got a small rock chip in it and the insurance had a chip repair company 'fix' it for free (no deductable for me). The chip repair company charged the insurance company $50 which they probably think is cheaper than a new windshield. It is still visible but not as bad as it was. If it had been in the drivers line of sight, they would have replaced the windshield.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitUp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdingah
Castle Rock...what about yourself?
I'm 40 west of Denver in the mountains a few miles north of Blackhawk...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Got the windshield replaced by American Patriot and I'm very happy with it.
They came to the house and did the whole job in an hour and a half. I'm glad you recommended replacing over crack fixing. The entire bill was 415 dollars and insurance paid 315 of that. I found out that my auto policy has a 100 out-of-pocket glass replacement clause (I guess this is pretty common) even though it's 1500 deductible with USAA.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Trinity is off the scale

After I had mine for about 3 months, I got what seemed like a load of buckshot on the passenger side going down the interstate. Called my insurance agent, who gave me the name of a local place. Called them, told them she told me to call them, and then they asked if I wanted to pay cash or submit the claim. I asked how much for cash - they said $225. Had it replaced the next day - no problem at all.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Goonsqd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2bill
The crack will only grow so bite the bullet.

I had a rock chip in mine and took it to the dealer (Vic Alfonso in Portland) to have them replace it during some warranty work. I called ahead and told them I only wanted OEM glass. They said no problem. I even talked to the service desk, found out who they were going to have replace it and called them too. Told them the same thing, OEM only. They said no problem.

I picked it up on a Friday evening and guess what: aftermarket glass. The service dept. was already closed so I was stuck with it (I live 100 miles away).

I recently got a small rock chip in it and the insurance had a chip repair company 'fix' it for free (no deductable for me). The chip repair company charged the insurance company $50 which they probably think is cheaper than a new windshield. It is still visible but not as bad as it was. If it had been in the drivers line of sight, they would have replaced the windshield.

We had ours replaced by vic alfonso also....cost $300 for OEM