H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am screwing around with my H2 adding a bunch of stuff, the whole front interior is or has been out, etc. I have my voltmeter out checking voltage on a couple of things (I have a couple of things hardwired in that have to have their voltage lowered).

So, I have my voltmeter this morning checking what's hot or not in some of the empty slots in the I/P Relay box. I have the Neg lead grounded and happened to be holding the Pos lead by the metal with my hand and touched the seat. I noticed the voltmeter jumped.

Of course this happens but it did not settle back to zero. It jumped to about .12V and stayed. I removed my hand from the seat and it settled back to zero. Put my hand back with the lead touching my skin and back to .11-.14V

This has got me curious now. I put the lead directly on the seat and voltage stays at zero. Back to touching skin and hand touching seat and it registers again. I finally end up moving it around and get to a point just above the driver's side rear sill plate where the voltage steadily registers .45V.

What causes this? Again, I place the lead in direct contact with the surface and it's zero. Lead only touching my skin.... zero. It's the combo of the lead touching my skin and my skin touching the truck's interior.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

I am screwing around with my H2 adding a bunch of stuff, the whole front interior is or has been out, etc. I have my voltmeter out checking voltage on a couple of things (I have a couple of things hardwired in that have to have their voltage lowered).

So, I have my voltmeter this morning checking what's hot or not in some of the empty slots in the I/P Relay box. I have the Neg lead grounded and happened to be holding the Pos lead by the metal with my hand and touched the seat. I noticed the voltmeter jumped.

Of course this happens but it did not settle back to zero. It jumped to about .12V and stayed. I removed my hand from the seat and it settled back to zero. Put my hand back with the lead touching my skin and back to .11-.14V

This has got me curious now. I put the lead directly on the seat and voltage stays at zero. Back to touching skin and hand touching seat and it registers again. I finally end up moving it around and get to a point just above the driver's side rear sill plate where the voltage steadily registers .45V.

What causes this? Again, I place the lead in direct contact with the surface and it's zero. Lead only touching my skin.... zero. It's the combo of the lead touching my skin and my skin touching the truck's interior.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you related to Uncle Fester?
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Banned

That or Frankenstein. I'm not sure which is worse.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

It's reading electrical brain waves. Average intelligence should be about 5.5V Hmmmmmmm
Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Banned

I always thought I was a few volts short.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you naked when you were doing these tests?

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Most probably electrical Potential Difference, there is a certain amount of pd between you and the vehicle due to electrostatic. I'm always noticing it when working with voltmeters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed guys working around electro-static sensitive equipment have a strap on the wrist device to ground themselves. Could that help?

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Most probably electrical Potential Difference, there is a certain amount of pd between you and the vehicle due to electrostatic. I'm always noticing it when working with voltmeters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So, say it is pd. Does that mean my body is acting like a capacitor?

Phil, I am going to post another technical deal in a few minutes and I would appreciate any input you might have.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Patriot is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Most probably electrical Potential Difference, there is a certain amount of pd between you and the vehicle due to electrostatic. I'm always noticing it when working with voltmeters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So, say it is pd. Does that mean my body is acting like a capacitor?

Phil, I am going to post another technical deal in a few minutes and I would appreciate any input you might have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes....

Ever zap someone with socks on a carpet? You are building up potential and then release it when you touch them....like a capacitor.