H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Hummer Novice

TantricH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Air Suspension Problems

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I'm also a new owner of a 2003 H2. I've owned 3 corvettes prior to this, so I'm treading on very new territory (so please forgive me for anything ignorant I may say).

My problem: The H2 has a 6" lift with Rear Air Ride. When the truck is on, the compressor runs constantly. Turned off, the rear end drops back down to stock height. As you can imagine, this looks rather ridiculous. I've only had the truck for a week, and each time it takes longer and longer for the rear end to pick up and be level with the front. I've had it to a local dealership to check all the lines for leaks - but they've found none. The techs there suspect it may be a leak in the compressor or a malfunctioning modulator.. but are unsure. I'd hate to drop $2k just to find out that isn't my problem.

Can someone please offer me some assistance/advice. I attached a picture of what its supposed to look like.. but have none of the rear sagging.

Josh

Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Rear Air Suspension Problems

You have a slow leak in a bag, line or connector. You can raise the rear (for off-road purposes) by pushing the button on the dash.

Do that, shut off the engine and then see if you can find where the air is leaking from. Maybe smoke a cigar while you are at it and see if the smoke swirls anywhere if can't hear the air escaping.

The compressor is running constantly because it's trying to play keep up with the leak while keeping the rear level.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Hummer Novice

TantricH2 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the response. But like I said before, the dealership had it for two days looking for a leak and could not find one. If they couldn't find one, I know I'm not going to be able to. Is it possible that the leak is in the compressor itself?

Josh
Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantricH2
Thank you for the response. But like I said before, the dealership had it for two days looking for a leak and could not find one. If they couldn't find one, I know I'm not going to be able to. Is it possible that the leak is in the compressor itself?

Josh
Don't assume the dealership simply is the last word on a subject.

There's a leak, go try to find it yourself. Air is escaping the system somewhere and until you either find out where or eliminate other areas, you are pretty much stuck, because your dealer has basically told you that they will simply replace it all to take care of the problem.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Drainbamaged is on a distinguished road

I had this problem also when i bought my 03 and this is how i found out the problem after the dealership looked at it 3 times. (you can also use this method to find a slow leak in a tire )
1. Get a spray bottle, put some baby shampoo or dish washing liquid and water in it.
2. Spray the mixture over each part of the air suspension components seperatly.
3. Watch for bubbles.

I would recommend to do one component at a time so you can realy analyze each part to see if there is a leak. Spray the mixture everywhere and heavy.
If you have a leak you will most likely find it.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale
Talking Re: Rear Air Suspension Problems

I'm having rear air probs too. My service air suspension has been flashing since July. hehe. THink i'll try to look at it this weekend. Naaah!

I think you have a air leak also Tantric. If your compressor runs when the truck is running and your suspension drops when you shut it off. It sure would make me look for a air leak. Take some of wifeys dishwashing soap and put a little in a spray bottle with water . Then spray the bags, lines, fittings , compressor , etc. When you get done finding the leak , show us a pic of your wifes titties would ya?