H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Okay all. What do you all do about the surface rust on the bottom of your H2's? Mines only 3 weeks old and I have some here and there. I was thinking about using my touch up paint and doing the little areas that are more noticeable. Guy at the local truck store said he's done one before with that spray on bed liner that you find on truck beds. He said it works great, even with a lot of off roading. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Okay all. What do you all do about the surface rust on the bottom of your H2's? Mines only 3 weeks old and I have some here and there. I was thinking about using my touch up paint and doing the little areas that are more noticeable. Guy at the local truck store said he's done one before with that spray on bed liner that you find on truck beds. He said it works great, even with a lot of off roading. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:55 PM

TootsSUT is off the scale

I would take it back to the dealer and tell them the stupid thing is rusting and to take it back. Maybe that way they will do something for you free of charge!! Afterall, you did spend alot of money to buy it!!

However, to stop any car from rusting in the future it needs to be washed where the under carriage is any time you travel over salty areas be it salt on the roads for snow, etc.

Was it a used vehicle?

\'05 Black SUT LUX/ADV package
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

No it's brand new. I've read many past post on here of these thing getting surface rust under them a few days after people got them. I think it's a pretty common issue. I know just about any car gets surface rust on it's underbody, but not many sit as high as the H2 and is so noticeable.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Note: I'm talking about the under carriage of the truck here. Not the body paint.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:19 AM

TootsSUT is off the scale

I did notice you were talking about the under body. I would take it back and tell them you are irritated with the rust being that it is new.

I have never had a problem with rust on my under body!!

\'05 Black SUT LUX/ADV package
Old 09-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=282608...751&m=9396028842&p=1

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551...6011751&m=8806029862
Old 09-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jennifer:

I have never had a problem with rust on my under body!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good lube, huh?

But Rustoleum or have it undercoated. Otherwise, get used to it.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

If you undercoat OVER the rust, will it stop the rusting/oxidation? Or should you try and remove it before?

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
If you undercoat OVER the rust, will it stop the rusting/oxidation? Or should you try and remove it before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hell, I don't know. Just rattle can it when it looks like crap.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have some spray oil that kills rust and hangs around and keeps it from forming. Perfect for places that keeps getting scratched and rescratched.

I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure I've mentioned it here before. Probably do a search with rust and my username
Old 09-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
I have some spray oil that kills rust and hangs around and keeps it from forming. Perfect for places that keeps getting scratched and rescratched.

I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure I've mentioned it here before. Probably do a search with rust and my username </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that rust converter once. It started peeling and bubbling up the undercoating when I oversprayed the rust areas.

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I would wire brush the rust real good and paint. It would be even better if You had a portable bead or sand blaster and then use rustoleum.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

PhilD did a killer job with his rust

<div class="ev_ubbx_tpc">Here's some of the rust on my rear drivetrain. Nothing major, but as the H2 is so high at the back, it was in plain sight and just looked ugly. I had plenty of other rust on the frame which I've already dealt with.

This truck is three months old;

I cleaned it all up and sprayed it with Rustoleum Hardhat Flat Black. Not sure how well this will hold up, but I had some in my garage. It can't do any worse than the stock finish;

If that doesn't work, I'll try some POR-15 or something similar.</div>
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:

I don't remember the name of it, but I am sure I've mentioned it here before. Probably do a search with rust and my username </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that rust converter once. It started peeling and bubbling up the undercoating when I oversprayed the rust areas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This stuff doesn't react to anything. It's just an oil based something or the other designed for subs or something.

It's lubricating oil who's properties kill existing rust or something. Shiit. Now I'll have to look for the can in the morning to see what it's called.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

Thanks all for your help. Looks like I will be cleaning it up real good this weekend, and using some of the Rustoleum Hardhat Flat Black to cover it up.

PhilD did a killer job. Hopefully mine will turn out even half that nice.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

The best solution is to remove the rust first and then apply flat black Rustoleum or medium gloss Rustoleum. They also now have some "HAMMER FINISHED" textured paits that are attractive and durable.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

dealer will not do anything on that. Rust in that area seems to be very common and not coverd in your rust protection. That si the line I got when I tried to get techs to spray a few
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummer Man:
The best solution is to remove the rust first and then apply flat black Rustoleum or medium gloss Rustoleum. They also now have some "HAMMER FINISHED" textured paits that are attractive and durable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where in the hell have you been!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

I tried that rust converter once. It started peeling and bubbling up the undercoating when I oversprayed the rust areas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This stuff doesn't react to anything. It's just an oil based something or the other designed for subs or something.

It's lubricating oil who's properties kill existing rust or something. Shiit. Now I'll have to look for the can in the morning to see what it's called. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's called Fluid Film. http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/appli...utomotive.html
Closed Thread