H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 AM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

I finally took the H3 for a test drive yesterday with my girlfriend. We both loved the vehicle as I was sure we would. I then brought it up to my co-workers last night on how impressed I was with it. Two "senior" respected guys on the job, ripped the H3 a new butt-hole. They were all over it calling it the "crappy canyon" and "what the hell would need that for?"....."thought you werent into being fake".....tough stuff from guys I respect. so my question is this....Is there really that much hate for H3's out there? and most importantly.....WHY??????

C.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 AM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

I finally took the H3 for a test drive yesterday with my girlfriend. We both loved the vehicle as I was sure we would. I then brought it up to my co-workers last night on how impressed I was with it. Two "senior" respected guys on the job, ripped the H3 a new butt-hole. They were all over it calling it the "crappy canyon" and "what the hell would need that for?"....."thought you werent into being fake".....tough stuff from guys I respect. so my question is this....Is there really that much hate for H3's out there? and most importantly.....WHY??????

C.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

jeliousy.

Funny how people are thinking different about you because of a car. Give me a break. Many people are not going to be happy towards a HX owner. Some think it stands for war, some think it is the cause of war, and some think that it is a "FAKE" truck.

Fact remains - buy what you want. If you like it - that is all that matters.

I personally feel that you cannot let this stuff get to you. Many people have a problem with me now...and mostly it is the people that are "eco heads". Others, like kids and adults of all ages give me the thumbs up, and are all "look - a Hummer!!!"
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask them to explain why they think like they do. Tell them you want facts to back up their claims that it is a crappy canyon or a fake truck. In response to their question "what the hell would you need that for", just tell them that you don't need it but want it and ask why that is a problem. As VT said, in most cases it just plain comes down to jealousy or blindly listening to the ranting of someone they know who is jealousy.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-18-2005, 01:08 PM

GrimReaper is off the scale

Another lengthy dissertation by GrimReaper….

I find the anti-H3 attitude that you have described to be hypocritical in light of the SUV silliness that has swept the USA. I often times have a different view of things (I am one of the few who applauds Ricky William’s insights), but to me, an SUV is and always has been a type of truck. A vehicle that weighs 6000 lbs. and gets 8 mpg might even be called a commercial truck -- it certainly is in the government's fuel mileage and emissions rule book. I have always scoffed at people that buy these 6000 lb. brutes to drive to and from the grocery store, with no intention of ever going off-road, or going camping, or hauling anything larger than a package of bottled water. They want a great big vehicle to impress their friends and because “it makes them feel safe” (which is an anachronism “for I can’t drive very well”), yet at the same time they expect a car-like ride and a luxurious interior. My mother (I love her dearly) carries her little old 110 lb frame around in a 6500 lb Ford SUV which she lovingly calls her car. You can hear the sucking sound from the fuel pump as she drives by. Somewhere along the line these “trucks" ceased to become rugged utility vehicles, and instead they evolved into monster cars. They sprouted enormous grotesque windows, (they call this stadium seating), ridiculous bulges, triple level roof lines, and generally horrible styling so that they could be built on a car suspension with car tires and still appear to be bigger than the next guy’s SUV.

When I finally decided that my particular lifestyle requirements demanded an SUV, I started searching for what I considered to be the essentials of owning such a truck. I was looking for a vehicle with a truck chassis, built on a truck suspension, with off-road truck capabilities, and a manual transmission. A full year of test driving led me to realize that such an SUV was a thing of the past. The original Jeep Wagoneer, Ford Bronco, and Toyota 4-runner concept had evolved into something big, ugly, pretentious, and totally without justification. It seemed that the world was no longer interested in building or owning an SUV truck. Pseudo trucks were all that could be had. Then I saw a commercial introducing the H3. I did some research, and I discovered a real SUV (read that truck) that can do things that few other vehicles can do -- a shining star in sea of unremarkable vehicles.

I suspect that the H3 haters are all jealous because they have suddenly realized that their monster-sized gas-guzzling grocery-getting lump of steel could never hope to negotiate a 3" curb at the grocery store much less a rugged off-road trail. They thought they were the king of man-hood because their SUV could touch both white lines on either side of a freeway lane at the same time. But now that you showed up in your rugged H3, their folly has been exposed.

I’m sure that this view will generate some controversy (for those that have the time to read it). It is just my humble opinion.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

It's most often ignorance. If it really bugs you, give them the facts about the H3, how it can and does play with the big boys, and in some ways can outdo them because of its size. Tell them this, if they're so quick on knocking it, then it shouldn't be too much work for them to do some research on it. Certainly they don't want to be talking out of their asses right...?

I can't imagine having friends that would treat me like that over a vehicle, much less respect them. You say you respect these guys, but from the looks of it, they're still in their High School mentality.

The H2 had similar problems when it came out, some people were saying it's the "fake" hummer, H3 will go through the same. Idiots are everywhere, your job is to make them educated idiots. Just don't let them get to you.

P.S. I have yet to have any negative comments like that made to me, but I'm ready with facts when they do.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM

jkH1+H2=H3 is off the scale

I have not shown my H3 to many people, Because I know the reaction will be. Also I have not especially brought it to work, Oh man, That would cause alot of problems, opions, bla, bla, bla..... Oh we know whos making the money around here kinda stuff. Just don't need to deal with them, its none of there business.Period
Old 08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't buy into that crap! If everyone worried aobut the co-workers we would all be driving vw bugs and talking about why bobs vw is orange instead of black like everyone else's
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jkH1+H2=H3:
I have not shown my H3 to many people, Because I know the reaction will be. Also I have not especially brought it to work, Oh man, That would cause alot of problems, opions, bla, bla, bla..... Oh we know whos making the money around here kinda stuff. Just don't need to deal with them, its none of there business.Period </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Screw them

Does everyone you work with drive a $10K car? If anyone drives anything new where you work and it is more than some bare bones vehicle, then they really have nothing to bitch about.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Georgemarc is off the scale

[quote]Posted 08-18-05 08:40 AM
I have not shown my H3 to many people, Because I know the reaction will be. Also I have not especially brought it to work, Oh man, That would cause alot of problems, opions, bla, bla, bla
Are you sure your preconceived notion is a fair assessment? I work in an office of about 100 and have gotten nothing but compliments, etc. I have also gone to lunch with many that I have not gone to lunch with before, as coworkers want to ride in the H3.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
jeliousy.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 totally i showed it to all my biker buddies, and was like this is what im getting and they totally ripped into it in fact here is the thread from a long time ago:
im going to ask that none of you suckers post there cuz the thread is long dead and you will only be causing trouble so read but dont touch
http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thr...=164026&highlight=h3

anyways they point out some valid arguments such as pathetic power, high pricetag compared to other more reasonable things out there, but im not a reasonable guy and the styling on this h3 punishes anything else out there! and pwerwise, well its fine for what i do but i do wish it had more pep... I love my H3 and i am glad i own it dont have any regrets.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Don't waste your energy considering what people say. Even people you respect, as not everyone relates. Buying a hummer is a very individualistic thing, something you do for your own satisfaction based on your appreciation for its capability and beauty. If you buy it for other reasons, you will feel great at times and be disappointed others. If you buy it for yourself you will always be thrilled, and your friends will eventually understand why if they don't at first. Most of the comments you are hearing are either based on lack of knowledge or basic jealousy.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:12 PM

tacocat is off the scale

wannabe, they seem to be pro Japanese in their vehicle preferences, so you can't win there.

I think the biggest issue with Hummer is where they are seen. The only time you see a Hummer being properly used is on the TV commericals. Most people see Hummers all blinged out on MTV cribs or on rap videos.

A good portion of all Hummers do end up being owned by a CPA (Certified Pavemnetpounder of America). Even on thise site, over half endup with 20"+ wheels. My local dealer will sell a chromed blinged out H3 in a few days, but a stock will sit for a while.

Honestly, the vehicle attracts poseurs. Sure you get your poser street Jeeps and Toyotas, but the Hummer draws more attention than either of these cars do.

I'm right there with you Grim. I would have never considerd an H3, but I checked it out, and it was a suprisingly purpose built SUV. I'm still shocked at how rugged the whole package was designed.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people love to hate things. Some hate Hummers, some hate guns, some hate Corvettes. I have had people accuse me of using our natural resources when driving my Vette; not knowing that it can get up to 30 mpg on the highway.
My neighbor has two H2s and the most gravel they have seen is at the little league fields. However, I don't condemn them for that, the H2 was a vehicle that they wanted, and then they argued over who got to drive it, so they purchased two. It doesn't bother me that they are always in the driveway (can't fit 'em in the garage, I guess), they are always spotless.
My answer to these guys would have been two words, one word I won't write here, the last word would have been "off." But, I'm an old cranky cannibal, who never cares what other people think of me.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zing:
Don't waste your energy considering what people say. Even people you respect, as not everyone relates. Buying a hummer is a very individualistic thing, something you do for your own satisfaction based on your appreciation for its capability and beauty. If you buy it for other reasons, you will feel great at times and be disappointed others. If you buy it for yourself you will always be thrilled, and your friends will eventually understand why if they don't at first. Most of the comments you are hearing are either based on lack of knowledge or basic jealousy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are spot on! Couldn't express my feelings any better. Great post.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 PM

MMM, your pushing me to possiably take it to work tomorrow, Warning: It may get ugly!!! My Boss has a Porch
Boxer, always dirty.... any comments.
Ps. another worker who is so cheep, bought a buel motorcycle to save money, its a piece of Cr-P doesnt start when its cold out Below 45 F. Now whats to sell it , no takers. Thats the mentallity I deal with.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 PM

One more thing, I have always be a Humvee, H1, & H2 Fan,
Its me, its my personality, it rules. Thanks for the H3, I will never buy anything else then a HUMMER, Period,.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jkH1+H2=H3:
MMM, your pushing me to possiably take it to work tomorrow, Warning: It may get ugly!!! My Boss has a Porch
Boxer, always dirty.... any comments.
Ps. another worker who is so cheep, bought a buel motorcycle to save money, its a piece of Cr-P doesnt start when its cold out Below 45 F. Now whats to sell it , no takers. Thats the mentallity I deal with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take it to work. Unless you are over paid for your job and the rest of the people are under paid, who cares what they say.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

i'm kind of with jk on this one. One of the things I worry about is if I get an H3 and I take it to work how's every one going to act about it. Ya there are a couple of new cars but not any brand spanking new SUV's
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Hummer Guru

Nobody at my office drives anything comparable to the H3 but that is their problem. I have the job that I work with them at and I also have other businesses and investments. If they are not willing to do what I do to allow myself to get an H3, then they can live with it. Just my two cents.