H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have gone through tons of the posts in this forum and I am still trying to figure out if the H3 has got some serious problems with it as it is a brand new model. Of course there will be bugs that need to be worked out of the system. It seems to me that some batches of H3 turn out to be riddled with problems and others are problem free. It is a little alarming but that is why they come with warrenties correct...It seems to me that the vehicle is solid and well made but the people who have had problems are vocal and concentrate many of their posts here so it appears that there are many of them. Is it safe to say that the majority of H3 owners are trouble free and very happy with their purchase? Or is this a bad interpretation. Some input would be great as I am picking up my baby next week and I am a little concerned I need someone to quell my fears. My dealer assured me that even if problems arise the warrenty will cover it and that Armen Hummer & Cadillac has the best customer service center around.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have gone through tons of the posts in this forum and I am still trying to figure out if the H3 has got some serious problems with it as it is a brand new model. Of course there will be bugs that need to be worked out of the system. It seems to me that some batches of H3 turn out to be riddled with problems and others are problem free. It is a little alarming but that is why they come with warrenties correct...It seems to me that the vehicle is solid and well made but the people who have had problems are vocal and concentrate many of their posts here so it appears that there are many of them. Is it safe to say that the majority of H3 owners are trouble free and very happy with their purchase? Or is this a bad interpretation. Some input would be great as I am picking up my baby next week and I am a little concerned I need someone to quell my fears. My dealer assured me that even if problems arise the warrenty will cover it and that Armen Hummer & Cadillac has the best customer service center around.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yat74:
I have gone through tons of the posts in this forum and I am still trying to figure out if the H3 has got some serious problems with it as it is a brand new model. Of course there will be bugs that need to be worked out of the system. It seems to me that some batches of H3 turn out to be riddled with problems and others are problem free. It is a little alarming but that is why they come with warrenties correct...It seems to me that the vehicle is solid and well made but the people who have had problems are vocal and concentrate many of their posts here so it appears that there are many of them. Is it safe to say that the majority of H3 owners are trouble free and very happy with their purchase? Or is this a bad interpretation. Some input would be great as I am picking up my baby next week and I am a little concerned I need someone to quell my fears. My dealer assured me that even if problems arise the warrenty will cover it and that Armen Hummer & Cadillac has the best customer service center around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I can tell you that I have alomost 4,000 miles on mine and not one problem at all mechanical wise.The only issue I had was with the marker light noise which I fixed myself.I would jump in front of my H3 and take bullet for it.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, I have mine almost 2,000 miles now and no problem, of course - the marker light noise which I fixed it myself too , I put foam liner inside on both front and back side (Pep Boys)....cheers.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale

I have almost 3000mi on mine and all are trouble free (knock on wood)
Old 10-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Green Lantern:
Same here, I have mine almost 2,000 miles now and no problem, of course - the marker light noise which I fixed it myself too , I put foam liner inside on both front and back side (Pep Boys)....cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a piece of door edge molding to fix my wind noise.I showed the dealer and they said that was great idea for fix.$7 fix cant beat it.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Green Lantern:
Same here, I have mine almost 2,000 miles now and no problem, of course - the marker light noise which I fixed it myself too , I put foam liner inside on both front and back side (Pep Boys)....cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a piece of door edge molding to fix my wind noise.I showed the dealer and they said that was great idea for fix.$7 fix cant beat it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pic of the back side
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Guru

front side
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Nearly 2,000 miles here - only problem is the tire pressure monitors. For me they seem too sensitive to temperature changes, I tend to get low pressure warnings on cold mornings which then go away as soon as the tires warm up. Other than that my H3 has been a great rig with no problems (I even have the roof marker lights which are totally noise free).

So far it's the most solid and well made vehicle I have owned. On top of all of that - it looks kick-a*s and climbs rocks like a goat!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

2,500 miles no problems only super small nics on plastic side rear bumper mudflaps will stop that i have a 200 foot gravel driveway i get some rock flinging once and a while.

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps getting the mudflaps asap
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my H3 when they first came out (although I've noted three others here have lower VIN numbers) and have driven it from the Midwest to the Rockies and back, and up to the most northern reaches of the Yukon and back .... geez I loved that trip and could do it every year..... I'm one of the highest mileage H3 owners you will meet and have had ZERO problems. You're going to get a dashboard message now and then but they've always resolved themselves. This is a vehicle that is fun to drive every time you get in it! The H3 has offroad manners that for a vehicle that rides as well on the highway as this does is unheard of. I have owned numerous 4 x 4s because I live in the hills of the Ozarks and offroad 3 miles to my front door everyday in mud, snow, gravel, up hills and through a dry creek, and with over 25,000 miles have not had one single problem. I'm very pleased with the 17 mpg I've been averaging this month, the power is more than adequate, the interior is VERY COMFORTABLE, and you're right, those with problems scream the loudest! I've had my H3 since June and it still attracts a lot of attenetion wherever we go.
What would I change?
Move the brake pedal a little farther away from the accelerator.
Move the window lift switches forward.
Make it easier to change your own oil - maybe a hinged skid plate to just drop down for us people that love to do things ourselves.
Maybe a thicker paint on the rear fenders to keep them from getting pitted by rocks, but all these are really minor.
I'm happy with the engine and wouldn't change it, I also would make the Monsoon standard - it's great!
The people at Lynch Hummer are great and VERY HUMMER knowledgeable and have handled my questions over the phone very courteously and promptly. Although FStop is in a class by himself and we owe a lot to his expertise!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

Two months and 1700 problem free miles of driving fun.
I like the sound of the turn signals and the engine has plenty of pickup.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Adventurer is off the scale

No problems here.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:43 PM

soflah3 is off the scale

Perfect here!

Better fit and finsih than my Audis, BMW, Saab, Acura. I have been an import guy my whole life, gotta say that I have been THOROUGHLY impressed.

Have to agree on the space between gas/brake.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: Killing Fields or Antenora...if u know where that is contact me NOW.
H3OwnerDiz is off the scale

2 months/2300 miles, no problems to report except the occassional marker light vibrations that I'm in no hurry to repair. I don't drive highway often and rarely hear it anyway.

Boulder Grey H3
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Georgemarc is off the scale

3 months and 3000 miles, no problems except the marker light noise. Hopefully they will have a fix before the first oil change. It can wait for the fix.
I am not bitching here but if you use the rear windshield wiper water, the blue crap gets all behind the spare tire. Didn't notice that for awhile but not a big deal
Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Expert

SteveRH is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost one month, 1400+ miles, and loving every second of it!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3ProspectKy is off the scale

Picked up my H3 on 08/18 and NOT ONE PROBLEM yet (knock wood). I have been extremely pleased with everything about this truck, including fit and finish. Don't worry about problems, as you noted, most of the complaints are from a very few who seem to have the majority of problems with their rigs.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:36 PM

trebor is off the scale

We have 2000 mechanical problem free miles in the month we have had ours.

Being new to this forum and the Hummer scene, I have read just about every post just to get a feel for the experiences and the history or the vehicle.

The only main problems that I have seen posted are related to rearend or in one or two cases the transfer case.

There have been some minor electrical issues with TirePressureMonitor systems, but these can usually be traced to wheel change, actual tire underinflation(air down for offroad), or tire rotation without proper re-calibration.

There has only been one mention of an actual oil leak, which I have not seen an explantion of what was found, possibly not even anything wrong with the vehicle.

Only issue that I have myself is the other problem I have seen listed. That is the dash lights not dimming. There has been a post that a TSB has been issued and they have to replace the BCM to cure the problem. I am not sure, I have not even contacted the dealer about it. I will as soon as I get a couple of days off, inorder to take it the 120 miles to the nearest dealer.

Overall, I am very pleased, I buy a new company vehicle every 80,000 miles for myself(currently the 03 Expedition) which is due to be replaced soon and out of 7 vehicles in the last 10 years, bought new the H3 has had the least amount of issues.

Also if anyone has repairs done and they mention a TSB that explains the problem, it would be helpful to the rest of us that may be having the same problem. So please ask for it and put it in your resolution post. It would make our time to repair and sometimes the dealers time to diagnose the problem a lot less time.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 10-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Per GM, these are the only bulletins issued for Hummer as of 10/9/05.

Window Outer Belt Strip Ends are Glossy (Wash Molding) #05-08-111-004A - (Jun 16, 2005)
Window Outer Belt Sealing Strip Ends Are Glossy (Wash Molding)

Engine Rough Idle During Initial Warm-Up After Cold Start and Diagnostic Enhancements for DTC P0507 (Reprogram PCM) #05-06-04-053 - (Aug 25, 2005)
Engine Rough Idle During Initial Warm-Up After Cold Start and Diagnostic Enhancements for DTC P0507 (Reprogram PCM)

Trailer Park Lamps, Turn Signal, Stop Lamps or Trailer Brakes Inoperative (Tie Strap Trailer Wiring Harness to Trailer Hitch) #05-08-42-012 - (Aug 31, 2005)
Trailer Park Lamps, Turn Signal, Stop Lamps or Trailer Brakes Inoperative (Tie Strap Trailer Wiring Harness to Trailer Hitch)

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) (DTC) P0442 Small Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Leak and/or P0455 Large EVAP Leak (Reposition Fuel Filler Housing Seal) #05-06-04-055 - (Sep 2, 2005)
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) (DTC) P0442 Small Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Leak and/or P0455 Large EVAP Leak (Reposition Fuel Filler Housing Seal)

Service Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Light On, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) B0790, B2725, C0359 (Reprogram Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)) #05-04-21-006 - (Sep 14, 2005)
Service Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Light On, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) B0790, B2725, C0359 (Reprogram Transfer Case Control Module

Cloudy Spot in Paint After Protective Covering is Removed (Heat Area) #05-08-51-005 - (Sep 21, 2005)
Cloudy Spot in Paint After Protective Covering is Removed (Heat Area)

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On, Transmission Stuck in Second or Third Gear, Instrument Cluster Inoperative (Verify and Repair Source of Voltage Loss in Transmission Solenoid Power Supply Circuit) #01-07-30-002E - (Sep 23, 2005)
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On, Transmission Stuck in Second or Third Gear, Instrument Cluster Inoperative (Verify and Repair Source of Voltage Loss In Transmission Solenoid Power Supply Circuit )