H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 PM

H17 is off the scale

Hello everyone -- I am new to these boards, and seriously considering purchasing a new H3 (although it's probably a few months off yet). This forum appears it will already answer most/many of my questions, but I have one question that I haven't found answered so far.

Although I wear my seat belt much of the time when driving, I do not wear it 100% of the time. My question is.. I've come across a few cars lately with really annoying seat belt notifications that continue for some time after starting the car -- something that distracts me to no end! Does the H3 have anything like this, or is it a more normal notification (a few beeps when you turn on the car, then nothing)? The new Jeep is the worst for this -- it starts over every time you hit a red light.

Although it seems like a simple manner of checking for myself on a test drive, the dealers out here will not allow you to not wear a seat belt on a test drive because of liability issues -- so it's easier to check on this forum than argue with a dealer on a test drive!

Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 PM

H17 is off the scale

Hello everyone -- I am new to these boards, and seriously considering purchasing a new H3 (although it's probably a few months off yet). This forum appears it will already answer most/many of my questions, but I have one question that I haven't found answered so far.

Although I wear my seat belt much of the time when driving, I do not wear it 100% of the time. My question is.. I've come across a few cars lately with really annoying seat belt notifications that continue for some time after starting the car -- something that distracts me to no end! Does the H3 have anything like this, or is it a more normal notification (a few beeps when you turn on the car, then nothing)? The new Jeep is the worst for this -- it starts over every time you hit a red light.

Although it seems like a simple manner of checking for myself on a test drive, the dealers out here will not allow you to not wear a seat belt on a test drive because of liability issues -- so it's easier to check on this forum than argue with a dealer on a test drive!

Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

bender is off the scale

wear your seatbelt 100% of the time

...problem solved

(or spend some time in the ICU with me and you will never take off your seatbelt again)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

FROGGY69ER is off the scale

The seat belt chime will beep for a while, then it stops.If you put it in park, it starts over again. I asked the guys at the dealer if you can disable it, but they didn't know.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The new Jeep is the worst for this -- it starts over every time you hit a red light. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope... the current Porsche generation (997 Carrera and 987 Boxster) are DEFINITELY the worst when it comes to this, because they simply go on continuously with a VERY LOUD BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-... NON-STOP-FOREVER! until you buckle up.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Surferjo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nope... the current Porsche generation (997 Carrera and 987 Boxster) are DEFINITELY the worst when it comes to this, because they simply go on continuously with a VERY LOUD BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-... NON-STOP-FOREVER! until you buckle up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My situation is even worse than that cause it continues even after you get out of the car, walking to the door, sitting out the couch, trying to go to sleep. Its called my wife.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nope... the current Porsche generation (997 Carrera and 987 Boxster) are DEFINITELY the worst when it comes to this, because they simply go on continuously with a VERY LOUD BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-BING-... NON-STOP-FOREVER! until you buckle up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My situation is even worse than that cause it continues even after you get out of the car, walking to the door, sitting out the couch, trying to go to sleep. Its called my wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO... hope your wife doesn't check on here.... or else it'll be the same when you try and mount her.

On the belt issue, my girls 05 focus does the whole DING DING DING DING constantnly annoying...

come to think of it so does the time by your gf's bed
Old 08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FROGGY69ER:
The seat belt chime will beep for a while, then it stops.If you put it in park, it starts over again. I asked the guys at the dealer if you can disable it, but they didn't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you disable the seatbelt warning chime and get in accident your insurance company wont be very happy.There have been lawsuits when that feature has been disabled so be careful.Besides most states require you have it on anyway.CYA is my credo COVER YOU ASS.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
My situation is even worse than that cause it continues even after you get out of the car, walking to the door, sitting out the couch, trying to go to sleep. Its called my wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ROFL... Okay, you're right.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:27 PM

H17 is off the scale

Froggy -- how long would you say is "a while?" It definitely is an issue to me -- not only is it distracting, but I've found on other vehicles, if I learn to block out the beeping, I also find I've blocked out things like sirens and horns -- so I actually find the beeping a safety issue in itself!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 PM

H3Witch is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bender:
wear your seatbelt 100% of the time

...problem solved

(or spend some time in the ICU with me and you will never take off your seatbelt again) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Bender - wear it! No excuses - they are too easy to make. Just lost a friend one week ago who didn't have his on - throw out of car...lost a cousin 5 years ago - same thing no seat belt. What is it going to take to make people wake up? A little lack of comfort is a heck of a lot better than ending up in an ER room with a sheet over your face...I'm only 5'2" and I have yet to find a comfortable seat belt, but I still wear it.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM

H17 is off the scale

Honestly folks, let's not turn this into a preaching session. I've heard all the factors into wearing seatbelts, I weigh the positives and negatives. If something happens to me, that's my issue. I have no kids, I won't be leaving any kids behind if I die as a result of my choice. All I want to know is whether the beeping is incessant or not on those occasions I do not wear the seatbelt.

Let's keep this on topic, okay? I know what's good for me and what isn't -- I know wearing a seatbelt 100% of the time is considered safest, but I also know that at certain times, as a larger person who doesn't fit all that well in seatbelts, the distraction seriously affects my driving. For the safety of my passengers, at those times, I do not wear my seatbelt. Some may agree with this policy of protecting my passengers, others may not. I don't really care -- all I want to do is keep it on topic.

Sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't reply to the distracting posts, but I feel this thread will turn into a seat belt debate if I don't say something.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:30 PM

H3Witch is off the scale

You started this thread - but no more preaching from me...it seems the posters so far agree it's not a major issue - wear the belt or live with the sound.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 PM

H17 is off the scale

That's fine if people don't consider it a major issue. But I do, and before I spend more money on a vehicle than I ever dreamed I would, I want to do my research. I've outlined why it is an issue to me, all I want is an answer.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yeah, your right, H3Witch, he did start the post, but his question was about the seat belt chime, not the merits of seat belt use. I really find it offensive to see people preaching to adults. As far as the visiting the ER, I am sure plenty of us on this post have spent time in the ER, and know people who have lost there lives due to non use of seat belts. Actually, Last month, I was the first person on the scene of an ejected driver, and "worked " him until the medics arrived and he was pronounced dead. Extremely upsetting, but it is still our decision to wear or not wear. I am climbing off my soap box now, so relax, but please save your lectures for your kids.

H17, I think it goes off in about 10 minutes, but I may have just learned to block it out. I am positive that it does eventually go off, because if I put it in park and then start driving again, I do notice it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

I've never been 'on the scene' -- but I do know insurance costs go up w/ more deaths...I have only had one person ask me if its possible to turn off the chime. The answer is probably yes, but finding a person to do it may be hard...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H17:
as a larger person who doesn't fit all that well in seatbelts, the distraction seriously affects my driving. For the safety of my passengers, at those times, I do not wear my seatbelt. Some may agree with this policy of protecting my passengers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What kind of stupid statement is this???????

A seatbelt is too distracting and affects your driving?!?!?!?!?! BS. Move on, find another vehicle to pretend to want to buy, and as far as everyone else here that think it's "preaching." Your state either has a primary or secondary seat belt law, so, advocating anything BUT putting on the seatbelt is advocating breaking the law. Plus it's stupid.

Do the research. An accident is not always simply when your vehicle impacts another object and stops. Many accidents involve the vehicle ricocheting off another vehicle or object and an unrestrained driver will be hurled from the cockpit and will have no chance to bring the vehicle back under control. This is a common occurance and can needlessly involve other innocent vehicles, all because someone doesn't bother with a simple seatbelt.

Grow up and gain some responsibility!!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 PM

Georgemarc is off the scale

Go Paragon, well put
Old 08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

No Paragon, not well put. You must have supported Howard Dean, because if somenoe disagrees with you, just attack him. Sorry I did not list every state where seat belt use is mandatory. I wouldn't want to break the law. Are you kidding me? That is your response? Personal freedom and responsability go hand in hand, and it is something that is always hard to address legally. We constantly walk the line between legislating away personal freedom in order to protect "Joe public."We see this type of legislation everywere,ie. smoking, driving, drinking, speech, etc, and I am not saying it is a bad thing, but it is certanly not the litmus test for every argument. Lets be honest, the States were pressured into legislating seat belt laws, just like they where forced into lowering speed limits years ago. No seat belt law, loose highway funds! So if and when the laws are relaxed, like speed limits, what will your great argument be then. It is amazing to me, that the same people that have to defend there car buying decisions to the ill-informed are so quick to slam others when they think differently.

As far as his argument against wearing his seat belt, who cares. I don't always wear mine, and I don't have to give you a reason. It is my decision, and if I get a ticket, I will pay it and move on.

Now, I am sure all the "tuff guy" responses will start flying now, so I will ask all of you to grow up.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FROGGY69ER:
No Paragon, not well put. You must have supported Howard Dean, because if somenoe disagrees with you, just attack him. Sorry I did not list every state where seat belt use is mandatory. I wouldn't want to break the law. Are you kidding me? That is your response? Personal freedom and responsability go hand in hand, and it is something that is always hard to address legally. We constantly walk the line between legislating away personal freedom in order to protect "Joe public."We see this type of legislation everywere,ie. smoking, driving, drinking, speech, etc, and I am not saying it is a bad thing, but it is certanly not the litmus test for every argument. Lets be honest, the States were pressured into legislating seat belt laws, just like they where forced into lowering speed limits years ago. No seat belt law, loose highway funds! So if and when the laws are relaxed, like speed limits, what will your great argument be then. It is amazing to me, that the same people that have to defend there car buying decisions to the ill-informed are so quick to slam others when they think differently.

As far as his argument against wearing his seat belt, who cares. I don't always wear mine, and I don't have to give you a reason. It is my decision, and if I get a ticket, I will pay it and move on.

Now, I am sure all the "tuff guy" responses will start flying now, so I will ask all of you to grow up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"Tuff guy??????"

Personal attack???? Even funnier? What does Howard Dean have anything to do with this? Exactly where did I say that "breaking the law" was the "litmus test" for the argument. The fact is, though, that you ARE breaking the law just the same as if you are driving your vehicle while over the legal limit for blood alchohol content. Another fact is that it is stupid and not only affects YOU as the driver but affects other drivers on the road because it can cause you to not maintain control of your vehicle. If you want to be stupid, fine. People are stupid every day. You are breaking the law and are being stupid with your own life, but are endangering the lives of others also, whether they are passengers or not. All because of a simple seat belt.

Where do you draw the line on personal rights? Is your personal right to drive while intoxicated beyond the legal limit not infringing too far? I know quite well that I have very little impairment past the legal BAC limit, but the law is the law. You see, some people ARE too dumb to know what's for their own good. Some laws that infringe on one's purported peronal rights is for the greater good.

As far as his argument about wearing a seat belt. Well, sport, he's the one posting the dumb crap here. If someone doesn't want a response, then either post something else or don't post anything at all.