H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>?{ . N 29.47.89 W 95.25.71
Spuds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: V-8-POWERED H3 ALPHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
I could give a rat's patootie about flex fuel capability. There's not an ethanol station within a thousand miles of my house. It's a gimmick unless you live in freakin' Iowa.

Not to mention the reduction in power and mileage......
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

Quote:
XM DUDE, people in the know already said that it's only $2k more. I wasn't guessing when I said that, so put your mind at ease about the pricing. Remember, the H3 is a pricepoint vehicle. People that would spend $50k will more than likely upgrade to an H2!

I could give a rat's patootie about flex fuel capability. There's not an ethanol station within a thousand miles of my house. It's a gimmick unless you live in freakin' Iowa. The one good thing good about flex fuel capability is that the fuel delivery system can take the funky chemicals without drying out and cracking better. When they went with benzene and MTBE in our fuel here, I had premium Gates hoses and gaskets turning to krap in only a year.

Yeah that is the problem, if I feel like driving to 200 miles to gas up my Tahoe, E 85 is a joke. I also understand you're mileage drops like a stone, but it is like running premium gas and burns cleaner.
I must say I am very excited about the V8 powered H3 and I bet it will out sell the 5 cylinder H3 4 to 1 and I bet GM ends up dropping the I5 power plant which they should. I would like to see the power boosted to 320 HP, then there is no competition, oh wait the LR3 puts out 300 HP, but is not to reliable, so once again no competition.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds

But if they made the 6 sp the automatic for all models, it would help with the 3.7 lack of power, and make the V-8 a monster.

I really like the looks of the H3 and would like to have one, but what's up with the 1985's technology 4 speed auto?

GM should, at least, have a durable and reliable 5 speed already in the H3.

If you haven't experienced it, you can't imagine the control from a triptonic style 6 speed, that also allows you to shift manually, gives you, especially in low range.....!!!! H2 owners will soon find out.

I'm not sure if simply the addition of a V-8 to the H3 is enough to get me to jump for one.

Last edited by Spuds : 04-03-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Diabolus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I really like the looks of the H3 and would like to have one, but what's up with the 1985's technology 4 speed auto?

GM should, at least, have a durable and reliable 5 speed already in the H3.

If you haven't experienced it, you can't imagine the control from a triptonic style 6 speed, that also allows you to shift manually, gives you, especially in low range.....!!!! H2 owners will soon find out.

I'm not sure if simply the addition of a V-8 to the H3 is enough to get me to jump for one.

It's called marketing. Instead of starting with a great driveline, they do it in steps. This makes a desire to upgrade every few years or so. First the I5, then a bump in HP, then a V8, then an upgraded transmission, etc...

Last edited by Diabolus : 04-03-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus
It's called marketing. Instead of starting with a great driveline, they do it in steps. This makes a desire to upgrade every few years or so. First the I5, then a bump in HP, then a V8, then an upgraded transmission, etc...

I hear ya. But GM needs to realize that they are not the only game in town. In the meantime, some folks will decide to purchase other products that already have leading edge technology.

They need to give me enough reasons to move me out of my VW Touareg when my lease is up this fall.

I really like the looks of the H3 which is why I hang out on this board. Will the V-8 be enough to get me to change? We'll see, when the H3 Alpha's get here......
Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

The six speed is also VERY expensive. The little H3's platform was avilability. Ok, so some of us wanted a V8, that's not too hard or expensive. If you added the six speed in there, the premium would be almost $5k! I'm not so sure that you'd get people chunkin' up over $45k for an H3.

The six speeds are wonderful, but the four with the overdrive and a low low range t-case works great and is STOUT. The six speed is complicated, very complicated, and expensive.

The H2 is a premium marquee. It can sustain the hit that's going to be incurred in that driveline.

As six speed production comes up, we may see one in the H3 but the cost is going to have to come down.

As far as the Touareg vs. the H3. You're serious? The Touareg is a car that can kinda go offroad. If it's done frequently, you'd better lube up those weather seals with silicone because I've read numerous accounts of the things creaking and flexing like an old RV when they're used that way. The ground clearance, hell, ALL the offroad capabilities are a compromise compared to the H3. I've driven a Touareg, it's ok but it's tight, very tight. On the road, they handle very well. I think offroad it's about 30% of what an H3 is.

The H3, it's slanted towards offroad. It's hell bent for stout. There's none of that flexing doors thing going on when it's crossed up. It's ground clearance, approach and breakover angles make the Touareg look like, well, the CAR that it is. That's why it's so heavy. It handles the road reasonably well. It's about 60% of what a Touareg is on the road. With the new V8, I'd place it much higher than that, more like 80%. If you did something silly like lowered the H3 and put street tires on it with the V8, I bet it'd surprise you (BUT THAT AIN'T HAPPENING!)

So I guess it depends on what you want. For the extra BIG bucks that the six speed would cost on the H3 (it's a longer, bigger sumbitch too, maybe it'll be on the '09 H3SUT) I can row the console shifter.

'Sides, we may own an '08 H2 and have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
The six speed is also VERY expensive. The little H3's platform was avilability. Ok, so some of us wanted a V8, that's not too hard or expensive. If you added the six speed in there, the premium would be almost $5k! I'm not so sure that you'd get people chunkin' up over $45k for an H3.

The six speeds are wonderful, but the four with the overdrive and a low low range t-case works great and is STOUT. The six speed is complicated, very complicated, and expensive.

The H2 is a premium marquee. It can sustain the hit that's going to be incurred in that driveline.

IF GM would just go ahead and make the 6sp their platform tranny like VW has done it would cut the costs considerably. For only $38K you get Tourareg V6 with 6 sp transmission.

Quote:
As far as the Touareg vs. the H3. You're serious? ... I've read numerous accounts of the things creaking and flexing like an old RV when they're used that way. The ground clearance, hell, ALL the offroad capabilities are a compromise compared to the H3. I've driven a Touareg, it's ok but it's tight, very tight. On the road, they handle very well. I think offroad it's about 30% of what an H3 is.

The H3, it's slanted towards offroad. It's hell bent for stout. There's none of that flexing doors thing going on when it's crossed up. It's ground clearance, approach and breakover angles make the Touareg look like, well, the CAR that it is. That's why it's so heavy. It handles the road reasonably well. It's about 60% of what a Touareg is on the road. With the new V8, I'd place it much higher than that, more like 80%. If you did something silly like lowered the H3 and put street tires on it with the V8, I bet it'd surprise you (BUT THAT AIN'T HAPPENING!).

I would never argue the capability of a fully indie suspension (Touareg) over an indie front with solid a solid rear. About the same difference in capability as Indie front/solid rear, to solid/solid (as in a Jeep). I have run my Touareg in some pretty heavy offroading. It has 85k miles now and I have never seen or heard any of the flexing of the doors that you describe. As a matter of fact it is still the most solid and rattle free vehicle I have ever owned. Quite frankly one of my worries IF I did get a H3, is that it wouldn't end up a rattle-trap, a few years down the road.

Here are a few numbers that might surprise you:

Ground clearance T: 8.3 H3: 8.5
Weights: T: 5168 H3: 4700
Fording Depth: T: 19.7 H3: 24"
Towing T: 7700 H3: 4500
Payload: T: 1325 H3: 1150

Of couse the H3 has the Touareg beat in the approach, departure, and breakover angles.

I regularly drive my Touareg down those isolated stretches of south Texas at Autobahn speeds (110 mph) and it is so smooth it feels like I'm doing about 70. But I'm a four time former Jeep owner and like the utilitarian look.

To me, an H3 Alpha seems to be a good compromise between a Jeep and a Touareg. I just don't understand why for as much as you pay, it doesn't AT LEAST have a 5 sp tranny.

Last edited by Spuds : 04-03-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Steve - SanJose

The early VW Toureg V6's have an even worst power to weight ratio when compared to the 3.5 H3. (And so does the rarely seen V6 LR3 for that matter). I personally know a car buff with a V6 Toureg as a commuter rig and the first week he leased it, he was complaining about the power.

Why is the unibody VW so heavy at over 5000 lbs? Typically unibody construction results in a lighter curb weight.

I read a comparison road test many months ago (actually offroad test) and the VW was creaking as the doors moved in the twisting frames. A fully boxed frame is preferred for that type of abuse. Recently I read that Toureg sales have declined into the range of 10,000 units/year in the US, not a good sign.

I have 35,000 miles on my H3, no rattles so far. I wondering if the head will last before the first rattle.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
I have 35,000 miles on my H3, no rattles so far. I wondering if the head will last before the first rattle.

x2. 31,000 miles here, no head issues, no rattles. I'll just keep driving the hell out of it and hope nothing bad happens
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
x2. 31,000 miles here, no head issues, no rattles. I'll just keep driving the hell out of it and hope nothing bad happens

Same here, no mercy. Still enjoying it daily!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
The early VW Touareg V6's have an even worst power to weight ratio when compared to the 3.5 H3.

HP to weight is only relevant in equal running gear. The T is underpowered but the drive ability is quite good because of the 6-sp and my commuting mileage is good for a vehicle that heavy at about 20 - 21 MPG.

That's why my comments about a 6-sp for the H3. Also, being able to manually shift while off roading and even in low range is awesome.

We should be demanding one for the H3.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Spuds,

I agree with Huck. My brother in law drives a Touareg. It's a decent SUV for snow and great in city driving. We took them on some easy trails together, they are not good off road.

My take is that when the engineers sit down to put a vehicle together they have criteria in mind that is developed for their target demographic. The Hummers demographic is off road. The vehicle is designed around that philosophy, the volkswagen appears to me to be much more about the on road driving. Compromises will be required to fit in as many different buyers into the demographic as possible while still maintaining the target.

Hummer should have a front locker on the new Alpha as far as I'm concerned, but the blingers probably have more say than I do on the vehicle right now. There is more of them.

Just my .02

Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
HP to weight is only relevant in equal running gear. The T is underpowered but the drive ability is quite good because of the 6-sp and my commuting mileage is good for a vehicle that heavy at about 20 - 21 MPG.

That's why my comments about a 6-sp for the H3. Also, being able to manually shift while off roading and even in low range is awesome.

We should be demanding one for the H3.

I agree that a 5 speed or 6 speed would be a great improvement to the H3 (or just about any vehicle with a 4 speed tranny). I would certainly like one.

The 20-21mpg with the VW is also the result of better aerodynamics/lower profile, street tires, and the amazingly slow highway speed that you are able to maintain. Vehicles that are biased towards offroad ability tend to sacrifice highway gas mileage.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

The Juice is an unknown quantity at this point

This will change my opinion of the H3.

Not of the owners. Just the car itself.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 AM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Feeble, downright anemic.

Come on dude, you're an AE troll - the sky's the limit. That's the best you got?

That's not even worth the effort. You gotta step it up.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: V-8-POWERED H3 ALPHA

F5 - any realistic chance of this happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I wonder if GM (read me - hey F5 - opinion?) will offer a "swap" discount for current owners who wish to upgrade to the new engine?

Would transmission and drive train components be a must change for such a swap?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
F5 - any realistic chance of this happening?

H3.007-you know what answer will be given (NO) of course. I think he answered that question earlier in another thread.

Here's how the real upgrade program works, just bring $15,000 minimum with you:

2007 H3 trade-in value =$30,000
2008 H3 new Alpha loaded =$45,000
Difference =$15,000 cash or credit
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

People like you really make me want to quit posting here.

So sorry I didn't have the time to sit around and read every thread. And besides, I asked the question here - not in another thread....

But then again, perhaps I shouldn't expect a more intelligent response from someone living in the only dedicated United State for Liberals (communists?).

By the way, you drive a H3 why?

At any rate, thanks for your brand of education - I really needed it. I'll crawl back to my heathen, uncivilized, and uneducated rock now.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
People like you really make me want to quit posting here.

So sorry I didn't have the time to sit around and read every thread. And besides, I asked the question here - not in another thread....

But then again, perhaps I shouldn't expect a more intelligent response from someone living in the only dedicated United State for Liberals (communists?).

By the way, you drive a H3 why?

At any rate, thanks for your brand of education - I really needed it. I'll crawl back to my heathen, uncivilized, and uneducated rock now.

Sorry you are having a bad day. I did not expect you to read every thread, just letting you know what F5 previously responded earlier (to save you the trouble of a tedious search, since somebody asked the same question earlier). Obviously the way GM is configuring and marketing the powerful and loaded Alpha version is to maximize profit, which is the only point I was making.

I didn't make any comments about you living with a bunch of stupid rednecks in some dead ex-steel mill God-forsaken town. Jeez mellow out dude.

I drive an H3 just like you. We have more in common than you might think.