H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

This one is for all you tech guys on the board or those who have had aftermarket systems installed and the monsoon system removed.

I got my hands on a 6 disc monsoon head unit and the amp and sub enclosure(mounted in the back behind the rear drives side panel) and all the wiring harnesses. I dont have the sub and amp or harneses yet but its in the works.

Has anyone done this retrofit?

What needs to be done?

Will it be plug and play with the harnesses?

I have the side panel with the grille coming as well (trading mine) since mine came with the storage compartment (on both sides) which will inhibit the sub and amp install as far as space goes...gotta put the grilled non storage bin panel in to get the amp and sub to fit.

I had the 6-disc head in the last time i went to the dealer and they unlocked it and programed it for me for 35 bucks.

On the way home I noticed the voulume level in relation the to stock single cd head was real low. I can get the volume up but its almost maxed out on the level indicator on the head which leaves me to believe the monsoon amp runs all the door speakers as well as the tweeters and the sub? My old head unit had a on of power at half volume setting.

The 6 disc head does have power because if it didnt there would be no volume at alll right? Or is there an amp in the base stereo system as well?

I want to get this all in the truck but want to get my ducks in a row first.

Also do these stereo shops have factory wiring diagrams they use.. as I would love to get my hands on a diagram for the stock single cd stereo system and one for the 6 disc monsoon system.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the diagrams for both systems?

Concerns:

1) If my old single cd head had an amp built in (remember the volume was much louder so this leaves me to believe it did) then....do the speaker wires run from the speakers to the back of my head unit now?

2) on the monson system if the amp mounted next to the sub in the rear runs all the speakers and the sub do the door speakers and tweeter wires run to the back to that amp?

Plus I wonder where the power to the amp in the rear on the monsoon system comes from? Perhaps from the battery?

Some have told me that I might have all the wiring in place from the factory for the monsoon systems amp and sub to be plugged right in with the correct harnesses some have said if it was slated as a base system then I will not can anyone confirm this either way?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

mikepmorgan@adelphia.net
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 AM

This one is for all you tech guys on the board or those who have had aftermarket systems installed and the monsoon system removed.

I got my hands on a 6 disc monsoon head unit and the amp and sub enclosure(mounted in the back behind the rear drives side panel) and all the wiring harnesses. I dont have the sub and amp or harneses yet but its in the works.

Has anyone done this retrofit?

What needs to be done?

Will it be plug and play with the harnesses?

I have the side panel with the grille coming as well (trading mine) since mine came with the storage compartment (on both sides) which will inhibit the sub and amp install as far as space goes...gotta put the grilled non storage bin panel in to get the amp and sub to fit.

I had the 6-disc head in the last time i went to the dealer and they unlocked it and programed it for me for 35 bucks.

On the way home I noticed the voulume level in relation the to stock single cd head was real low. I can get the volume up but its almost maxed out on the level indicator on the head which leaves me to believe the monsoon amp runs all the door speakers as well as the tweeters and the sub? My old head unit had a on of power at half volume setting.

The 6 disc head does have power because if it didnt there would be no volume at alll right? Or is there an amp in the base stereo system as well?

I want to get this all in the truck but want to get my ducks in a row first.

Also do these stereo shops have factory wiring diagrams they use.. as I would love to get my hands on a diagram for the stock single cd stereo system and one for the 6 disc monsoon system.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the diagrams for both systems?

Concerns:

1) If my old single cd head had an amp built in (remember the volume was much louder so this leaves me to believe it did) then....do the speaker wires run from the speakers to the back of my head unit now?

2) on the monson system if the amp mounted next to the sub in the rear runs all the speakers and the sub do the door speakers and tweeter wires run to the back to that amp?

Plus I wonder where the power to the amp in the rear on the monsoon system comes from? Perhaps from the battery?

Some have told me that I might have all the wiring in place from the factory for the monsoon systems amp and sub to be plugged right in with the correct harnesses some have said if it was slated as a base system then I will not can anyone confirm this either way?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

mikepmorgan@adelphia.net
Old 11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

YOU GOT MAIL
On the Monsoon, the front door and rear door speaker wires run to the rear amplifier.
The rear amplifier then feeds the sound signal to all the speakers, including the front tweeters and rear subwoofer. It appears the amp, splits the high, mid and low and supplies the separate signals to the speakers.
As for the wiring being in place, there is a good possibility that it is. On many car lines, the manufacturers have found it is less expensive to have a few connectors not being used than to have two different harnesses in the plant and for service parts.
Look in the back where the sub goes and see if there are two black 16 terminal connectors and black six pin just hanging around not connected to anything.
It also appears at each speaker there are two connectors, one for Monsoon, one for non-Monsoon.
I sent you a file with some information.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Doug man thanks so much for the schooling I REALLY APPRECIATE IT A LOT.

Few questions:

1) Assuming the molex connectors are there...how will I change the speaker routing?
Since now the speaker wires run to the back of the head unit?

Could they possibly be routed to 2 locations? To the back of the head and perhaps to the rear dirvers side staged there for the Monsoon amp and sub?

Man I hope I have the plugs there it would make life much easier.

I wouldnt have to try to re-route the speaker wires and get power/remote turn on and ground to the amp.

I wish I knew someone who had the stock base stereo system and pulled that panel off so I could see what is back there...

2) If the molex plugs are not there I will need the harnesses from the back of the head to the rear right?

I still am fuzzy on how I am going to get this in seamlessly....Not thrilled about cutting and splicing routing...although I am not unfamiliar with stereo systems. I have even made my own rca cables soldering etc.

I juts read you post closer...2 connectors to each speaker..very interesting...did you notice if there was a plug hanging there that possible runs to the rear for the monsoon?? Oh you probably had the monsoon right? Just wondering if the wires are in the door to the rear in my H3..I need to bite the bullet and pull some panels off I guess.

My hope is that you are correct: The 3 molex plugs are there staged and all I would need to do is:

1) Switch leads at the speakers (assuming there are 2 harnesses in the doors) to route the wires to the rear amp.

2) mount the monsoon enclosure and amp plug and play.

3) swap back panels (remove the bin'd panel I have now and put the grilled panel in its place).

Doug part of me wonders if I shouldn't just get a real nice 4 or 6 channel amp and tie it into what I have now (crutchfield) and then also but the 10 300watt bazooka and strap it in the far back?

what are your thoughts on this..?

I like the factory installed monsoon system idea better for its cleanness but the install is kinda scary at this point.
Not too stoked tearing the entire truck apart and running new wires for everything to the back...but I can do it, just not to excited about it ya know?

Thanks so much any more info you acquire on this would be a big help.

If anyone else has any info or has physically taken off panels on the stock suystem please let me know as the biq question is: Is this plug and play..are the 3 molex plugs in the back??

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 PM

"It also appears at each speaker there are two connectors, one for Monsoon, one for non-Monsoon."

2 connectors from the harness?
Or 2 sets inputs on the speakers themselves?

why would they do the 2 sets on the speakers? wouldnt they just have 2 molex plugs in the doors?

perhaps the ohm's change when using the sub?
this is why the dual speaker inputs at the speaker itself?

thnx Doug
Old 11-22-2005, 04:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3Eric is off the scale

Hi UNOMYFLO, did you ever figure out if there are speaker wires that go to the back. I saw some other responses from you on this topic, what is the current status of your conversion to the 6 disc moonsoon system.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Elcova Newbie

exxped is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single cd system to monsoon system install questions

so,
one more question to this older discussion.
if the monsoon amp is not needed with an aftermarket radio, i can get all speaker wires from the harness which just lies in this area at the right back of the car. i mean the harness wires, which are n o t connected with the sub.
so i do a complete new wiring harness from the new aftermarket to the subs / amps area and connect there all the speaker wires together without getting each wire from each speaker from the doors, as i have to put all the door interior plates on and off????
would make it much easier ....

mario / germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
YOU GOT MAIL
On the Monsoon, the front door and rear door speaker wires run to the rear amplifier.
The rear amplifier then feeds the sound signal to all the speakers, including the front tweeters and rear subwoofer. It appears the amp, splits the high, mid and low and supplies the separate signals to the speakers.
As for the wiring being in place, there is a good possibility that it is. On many car lines, the manufacturers have found it is less expensive to have a few connectors not being used than to have two different harnesses in the plant and for service parts.
Look in the back where the sub goes and see if there are two black 16 terminal connectors and black six pin just hanging around not connected to anything.
It also appears at each speaker there are two connectors, one for Monsoon, one for non-Monsoon.
I sent you a file with some information.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

sattv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single cd system to monsoon system install questions

In my base stereo H3 there is only 1 speaker connecter in each door and I have not torn out the rear panel yet.......But I will !!!