H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on where to get their oil changed. I know the Hummer Dealers tell you it would be best to have them do it but is there a recommended 3rd party place that can be trusted?

Thanks
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on where to get their oil changed. I know the Hummer Dealers tell you it would be best to have them do it but is there a recommended 3rd party place that can be trusted?

Thanks
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

At least for now, I go to the dealer. I read on one of these posts that the oil change place didn't pull the skid plates and let the oil run everywhere. Big mess. The deqaler gave me my first for free anyway. My wife had an '02 VW camper van for a while and no 3rd party oil change place could even find the filter. Until they are familiar with the vehicle it's best to see the dealer.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Either the dealer or do it yourself.You should get a free car wash also.For now i will have Dealer do it. .I changed it at 1,400 miles than 4,700 miles and will rotate oil change at 8,000 miles .I will probobly start doing it myself after that.Not just to save $$ but its sometimes hard to get to the dealer hes not open saturdays.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

If you can, let the dealer do it. When it comes to messing around with the skid plates, I don't trust an 18 or 19 year old in a quickie lube shop. It's just not worth the added convenience. Something getting screwed up is far more likely at a lube shop than the dealership.

A Hummer dealer knows his way around the underside of the H3 and they'll reset the oil life computer.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guppy:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Learn to do it yourself.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Learn to do it myself? Its not the learning part it's like MAC said who wants to do it. Besides, it is almost as cheap to have someone else do it by the time you pay for the oil, filter, and now the disposal fee's.

Yes the dealer will charge more then a quick lube place but can they do a better job?
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

I used to do it myself but the dealer only charges $30 for an oil change and they give it a hand washing when they're done. If you go in the morning, they have a breakfast buffet, coffee, juice, etc. in the waiting area. It only takes them 1/2 hour to get it all done.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

How do those Double macho double wipes double pleasure double blades work and what are the sizes.They seem to sit even the factory ones are slightly angled.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 PM

Highlander is off the scale

Breakfast buffet in the morning with a free wash ? I really like the sound of that.I wonder if my dealership does that ?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

JV1 is off the scale

I don't let any dealers do anything to my vehicles unless it is absolutely necessary. Too many experiences with shoddy work, improper diagnostics, you name it. Up to this point I have had no experience with Hummer dealers doing maintenance work but I expect the same result as other dealers.

Here is one experience with a dealer that I will never forget.... My father took a 1973 Oldsmobile in for a tune-up. After that the car radio never worked right. Had a serious whirring noise on all the stations. Didn't make any connection but after several months the car wouldn't start one day. I did some investigation and found that the ignition timing was way off. Apparently the distibutor loosened up. During my investigation I also found that there was a two piece metal cover over the points inside the distributor. (Remember those days?) One half was missing hence the whirring noise through the radio. My father took the car back to complain and here was the dealers response:

How come your son was touching the car?

This was only one of many bad experiences but the moral to the story is NOBODY touches my vehicles unless I have to use the warranty or I am not capable of doing the task myself.....
Old 12-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Mickey is off the scale

I agree with JV1. Too many bad experiences. They get my vehicle only if I can't do it myself or it's under warrenty.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I have another quick question. I now have 650 miles on the rig and am planning a long trip (1000 miles). when should I do the first oil change before the trip or after?

Thanks
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

After. Break the engine in a bit before you think of the 1st oil change.