H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default Dilemma!

Hey guys-I have a little, no large dilemma that came up over the weekend and I am hoping to get a little guidance from some of you that are more well versed in all things Hummer.

As a lot of you know I just sunk a TON of money into a '96 wagon that I swore I would never sell. Well, this weekend I was approached by a local collector here in Des Moines that owns several other collector cars. He already dumped a few of them, and is at the point where his construction business is about to go into default unless he liquidates several of his "toys". One of his vehicles that he needs to move now is an Alpha wagon with 2200 mi on it. As you can imagine, it is pristine, and he has all books, records, etc, that go along with it. The price he quoted me is $20,000.00 below what they are going for currently, and I can come up with half of the money in cash and I spoke to my banker and he will float me a short term loan to do the transaction. I am one of those guys that is VERY anal about debt and do not take loans out for such things as this, but I am very tempted to do it, and sell my '96 to pay off the money loaned for the Alpha.

I am VERY torn up about the thought of selling the wagon, but I just do not think that I will have another Alpha in as good of condition with as low miles as this one has fall in my lap for this kind of money again. I drove it last night and I probably shouldn't have, as it was an absolutely incredible machine! The interior trim and fit and finish were way above what I was expecting, and it drove more like a civilian based vehicle than a military based one. I absolutely love it, but my wagon has a sentimental pull on me that would make it very hard to part with.

If I sold the '96, what should I ask? I was thinking somewhere in the $40-45,000.00 range. I have rec'ts for over $20,000.00 in mods for the truck from last month, and I know you never get out what you put in for mods, but I figure at that $45,000.00 range someone would be getting a great deal on a truck that is ready to go off road.

Let me know what you guys think-I have to get back to the guy with the Alpha by the end of this week.

Thanks!!
Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dilemma!

I hate to tell you this but I don't think you will come close to 45k on a 96. I picked up an immaculate 2001 HMCO with a 4k stereo that had never seen the dirt for close to that price. Most 96s I see sell below 35k. I am not trying to burst your bubble, but if you are going to be expecting the money from the 96 to help pay off the Alpha you need to be more realistic. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake
Hey guys-I have a little, no large dilemma that came up over the weekend and I am hoping to get a little guidance from some of you that are more well versed in all things Hummer.

As a lot of you know I just sunk a TON of money into a '96 wagon that I swore I would never sell. Well, this weekend I was approached by a local collector here in Des Moines that owns several other collector cars. He already dumped a few of them, and is at the point where his construction business is about to go into default unless he liquidates several of his "toys". One of his vehicles that he needs to move now is an Alpha wagon with 2200 mi on it. As you can imagine, it is pristine, and he has all books, records, etc, that go along with it. The price he quoted me is $20,000.00 below what they are going for currently, and I can come up with half of the money in cash and I spoke to my banker and he will float me a short term loan to do the transaction. I am one of those guys that is VERY anal about debt and do not take loans out for such things as this, but I am very tempted to do it, and sell my '96 to pay off the money loaned for the Alpha.

I am VERY torn up about the thought of selling the wagon, but I just do not think that I will have another Alpha in as good of condition with as low miles as this one has fall in my lap for this kind of money again. I drove it last night and I probably shouldn't have, as it was an absolutely incredible machine! The interior trim and fit and finish were way above what I was expecting, and it drove more like a civilian based vehicle than a military based one. I absolutely love it, but my wagon has a sentimental pull on me that would make it very hard to part with.

If I sold the '96, what should I ask? I was thinking somewhere in the $40-45,000.00 range. I have rec'ts for over $20,000.00 in mods for the truck from last month, and I know you never get out what you put in for mods, but I figure at that $45,000.00 range someone would be getting a great deal on a truck that is ready to go off road.

Let me know what you guys think-I have to get back to the guy with the Alpha by the end of this week.

Thanks!!
Dave
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road

I've already lined up a buyer on this end for $40,000.00-I am just holding out for a little more

Actually the owner of the local Hummer dealer wants to buy it for himself-he is an avid off roader and is currently wheeling a modified H3. I am just wondering if the "juice is worth the squeeze" so to speak for the Alpha...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about the long term costs to maintain the Alpha? They are going to be significantly higher than your 96. Does the truck have an extended warranty (they are no longer available)? If you were offered 40K for your 96 thats a hell of good price, even though you just dumped a ton of money in to it.

-007=
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

That is a tough decision. How many miles on the '96? Is the H1 your daily driver? Don't know if I could stomach selling the '96 after putting that much money into it.

On another note, if you are in Des Moines, let me know if you find any good places to wheel around there. I've been going to check out MIOBI http://miobi.org/forum/index.php but have not had time to get over there yet. Not sure if there are enough obstacles to keep a Hummer happy for very long.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake
I've already lined up a buyer on this end for $40,000.00-I am just holding out for a little more

Actually the owner of the local Hummer dealer wants to buy it for himself-he is an avid off roader and is currently wheeling a modified H3. I am just wondering if the "juice is worth the squeeze" so to speak for the Alpha...

If you got offered 40K, make a run for it! I haven't seen a 96 go for near that in years. As for the Alpha being worth the price, I would say no. If you had money to burn than "who cares". I think the older trucks can out wheel the newer ones (personal opinion). As for a daily driver, I would rather the alpha because they are quiet and more roomy inside. I hope it all works well for you. Thanks..........
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer

Last edited by audiofetish : 03-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdxhummerguy is on a distinguished road

Any updates?