H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

FGHT ON is on a distinguished road
Angry Speedometer Needle Stuck

So I'm driving home today stuck in traffic and look down and the RPM Needle and Speedometer stoped working-RPM is stuck at 2 and Speedometer is stuck at about 70 (the speedometer would go past 70 but not below). All the other gauges work just fine and the computer/Odometer is still working correctly. Any one have this problem or know how to fix it? Could it be something to do with the HYPERTECH programer? No problems at all until today . . . Please help!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speedometer Needle Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGHT ON
So I'm driving home today stuck in traffic and look down and the RPM Needle and Speedometer stoped working-RPM is stuck at 2 and Speedometer is stuck at about 70 (the speedometer would go past 70 but not below). All the other gauges work just fine and the computer/Odometer is still working correctly. Any one have this problem or know how to fix it? Could it be something to do with the HYPERTECH programer? No problems at all until today . . . Please help!

THis used to be very common in teh 03/04's. You'll want this to be a warranty deal...becasue they replace the entire cluster of guages. They'll send your speedo cluster out and let your truck sit until yuo get your back. Demand a NDA exchange so at least it won;t take two weeks like one of mine did.

Take your programmer off too....jsut so they cannot say that's what caused it.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

What is NDA? And what if my warranty ran out in Jan?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a special policy adjustment for this issue, take it to a Chev/GMC dealer and it should be covered under warranty, Hummer dealers I can't speak for. They can pre-order a cluster after they take a tech2 scan for the cluster ID number and hours/mileage. Once it comes in, make an appointment to have it installed.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

special policy doesn't cover H2 speedos. Got extended warranty???
Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks guys, My Hummer dealership service manager is an awesome guy. He did me a favor and got it done for free. It's getting fixed next week.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planohummer
special policy doesn't cover H2 speedos. Got extended warranty???

I disagree, I have personally have had 2 H2's done under GM's Special policy at my dealership. It covers all GMT800 platforms. They (being GM) know they have an issue with clusters from 2001-2006.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Hummer Novice

Ex0tica is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem with my speedo and Rpm needles. Mine is an 03 and no warranty left. Is this something i can do on my own or am i screwed.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

mrprimo is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 H2 with 38K miles when I had the same problem a couple of months ago.

I first noticed it when I was driving down the road in a 55 zone and past a cop going the other way. I about sh-t when I glanced down at my speedometer and it said I was doing over 100MPH ! I do sometimes have a lead foot but not this bad (At least not that day). I was probley doing about 65mph. The cop didn't turn around so I knew I couldn't have been going that fast. As I slowed down to a stop my speedometer came down to about 60mph and would not go any lower.

I took it to the local HUMMER service dept the next week. They ended up replacing my whole gauge cluster. They said that as a goodwill jesture they would only charge for the labor ($165) since my truck was just bearly out of warranty and had noted another problem with my gauge about a year ago.

I was pleased not have to pay for the complete replacement cost but was wondering if I should have been charged for labor since there seems to be a ploblem with some GM clusters? My truck is out of warranty but is this cluster problem an exception to the standard warranty?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 AM
Hummer Novice

Just wondering if this is something that can be easily replaced, like is it just plugged in or something. Reason i ask is because my intire dash is taken out and i have easy access to it now.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

RippSpeed is on a distinguished road

My gauge cluster has been acting screwy too. Problem is everytime I want to bring the damm thing in to get replaced ( I bought extended warranty). The damm needle fixes itself and works properly for weeks on end and then it trips out just when I least expect it ...
Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Hummer Expert

Every GM dealership knows about this condition. Just take it in and tell them the speedo needle is sticking and depending on what your mileage is, it will be some sort of warranty coverage. It could be a 50-50, or part only and you pay labor, or if you have an extended warrant it will only cost your deductible.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

RippSpeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGMPG
Every GM dealership knows about this condition. Just take it in and tell them the speedo needle is sticking and depending on what your mileage is, it will be some sort of warranty coverage. It could be a 50-50, or part only and you pay labor, or if you have an extended warrant it will only cost your deductible.
the problem is my extended warranty requires the dealership to prove that the item that needs to be replaced is not working properly. On the other hand I dont have any deductible... I have full coverage
Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

RCKSTR is on a distinguished road

My 03 did the same thing a couple times. I found everytime I shut it off the needle would drop a little bit. I just started it and shut it off about 30 times untill it went back to 0, been working fine since.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

My speedo only stuck when it was below 20 degrees or so. When it warmed up or if I parked in the garage for a while and let it thaw it fixed itself. Everytime I stop and go, the speedo would raise a few mph's, and everytime I shut the engine off it would drop a few mph's. Never fixed it, just traded it in...
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Hummer Expert

brad_p is on a distinguished road

Yo jigga fresh gangsta g, if you did a lil resurch ya would fin dat dem hummas h duece is completely differnt than a hoe in ervy way. But your to much of a ignorant ebonic speaking....... well you get the picture.
[---\-|-----[ -OIIIIIIIO-]
"(O) ) ---- (O) )/"H2"\) )
Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking with a service guy at the Hummer dealership this week, he told me the '06 and later H2s have an improved solid state circuitry instrument cluster that is supposed to alleviate the stuck and dancing needles problem. The '06 and '07 units can be found on Ebay pretty reasonably sometimes!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

The needles in these clusters are driven by tiny servo motors, once they go bad no amount of key cycling is going to fix them- they have to be replaced.

I bought a couple off eBay for around $12 bucks and did the repair myself. The trickiest part for most is going to be desoldering the old motors and soldering in the new ones. It's not impossible and you can pick up the tools at Radio Shack.

Even though I marked the needle positions before disassembling the cluster, I used a GPS on the highway to set the speedo needle exactly. The Federalies around here are sticklers

If you can get warranty coverage, do it; but if they try to gig you for a couple hundred or worse then grab the motors off eBay (they come with good instructions) and fix it yourself.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Hummer Novice

Hi all found a guy on eBay that cleans, replaces all bulbs and servos for $170. Has done over 4000 of em with 100% record. Thinkin of trying him out.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

coach3rd is off the scale

Mine stopped working at 60plusk miles and I went to the dealer who wanted $700 to fix it. After speaking with the service manager they still would not admit this is common and wanted the $700. I bought a GPS for the MPH. That is the only thing that wasnt working in my gauge cluster. You would think a speedometer should last on a truck like this. I had a 78 corolla with 200k miles or more and the speedo was still working.