H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default They smoked in it

Got my car back from service yesterday, I thought it smelled like smoke but didn't say anything. I was just happy to have it back. The smoke smell is bad. Today I found cigarette ashes on the floor. Should I be pissed? I'm sure I'll get less sympathy from those of you who smoke but I don't, my wife doesn't, and my kids surely don't. Other than that, it was the best service I could ask for, so I don't really want to make a big deal about it. But did I mention it smells bad?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale
Default Re: They smoked in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrlvr
Got my car back from service yesterday, I thought it smelled like smoke but didn't say anything. I was just happy to have it back. The smoke smell is bad. Today I found cigarette ashes on the floor. Should I be pissed? I'm sure I'll get less sympathy from those of you who smoke but I don't, my wife doesn't, and my kids surely don't. Other than that, it was the best service I could ask for, so I don't really want to make a big deal about it. But did I mention it smells bad?

Take it back. Have them run an oxidizer for a day. I borrowed my dad's truck to go camping once, he's a major smoker. Used the oxidizer (or oxygenator, or ionizer, or whatever it's called) - truck didn't smell at all. Asking them to fix the problem they cause is totally reasonable.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Steve - SanJose

I can't believe your dealer did that to your H3. Terrible way to treat a customer's car.

S.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Hummer Expert

Vettster is on a distinguished road

I would be pissed!
You don't smoke, why should you have to put up with someone elses filthy habit. Your vehicle is your property, no one elses.
Take it back and bitch. They should at least detail it for you.
Ask them how much a "smoker" verses a "non smoker" vehicle is worth at trade in time. Don't let them try to tell you that there is no difference.
And no, it wasn't the best service you ever received. You have to take it back, don't you?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!! I would take it back in and raise hell.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Quote:

Happened to the wife's H3. Found ashes on the floor AND a lighter in the passenger seat. I didn't drive off - I got the service manager, told the service manager that I have asthma, pointed at the evidence, and demanded they steam out the interior AND use Medo's Odor Gun on the interior, as well as BG FrigiFresh on the vents until they came out clean and clear. They paid for the rental car, materials and the labor. Materials included new mats too.

Frankly, that's unacceptable. Make them fix it. You'll never get it out otherwise.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Bully13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!! I would take it back in and raise hell.

X2!!! The Dealer needs to know that someone is doing this. I doubt that they won't care.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Definitely bring it to the attention of the Service Mgr! If you have cloth seats you're going to have live with it unless you bring it to their attention and have them find a way to get it out. DON'T settle for a spray-on air freshener or something they spray on the carpet. You'll have that stench for the life of the H3. Let us know how it's handled.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely, totally, UN-FUCKING ACCEPTABLE!

This is so unacceptable I'm practically speechless. Yes, you must bring it back to the dealer. SERIOUS compensation is in order here!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be a puss about it, do it in person not on the phone. I had a tech taking service cars to get lunch, he left a soda in one guys truck and oh my god.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed w/ all the above. Totally not cool.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with all the above, TAKE IT BACK AND BITCH!!! I smoke but I do not smoke in my vehicles and would be pissed if I took it in for service and they did. Totally unacceptable!

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

entheos is off the scale

I have talked with a used car dealer about this. He said that those smoke odor removers work, until the sun hits your car (which may take longer as the H3 has small windows) and the smoke smell will return. He said that a smoker's car will always smell like smoke to some degree. I can attest to having an old blazer that someone smoked in that it took a couple of years before the smell was completely gone! Maybe you'll be lucky that since it was only there at the dealer for a day or so?? that it won't be as bad.

I'd ask for a new vehicle and recommend that whoever did it gets fired. That is nothing but a black eye for the dealer as well as GM.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn-it now I'm fired up. I've sent them an email and I'm going there today to have a talk with them. Thanks for lighting the fire under my butt. Guess I was just being a nice guy AGAIN. I need to stop doing that .
Old 08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

I'm a smoker. But smoking in someone car without permission is uncool and for a buisiness to do it is unprofessional.
Hope they clean it right for you.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

That is SOO NOT COOL!!! You need to bring it back and raise hell. To me, that is very disrepectful to treat someones car like that. Most likely the service manager may not even know this happened and it could be happening by the same tech in other cars which could damage a very good shops reputation. You need to go back ASAP!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipedog
Completely, totally, UN-FUCKING ACCEPTABLE!

This is so unacceptable I'm practically speechless. Yes, you must bring it back to the dealer. SERIOUS compensation is in order here!

X! That's total BS!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, that's unbelievable. Once someone has smoked in a vehicle it can never be the same. Its like rape, only worse. Everyone who gets into your truck will know. It'll start getting those looks. Friends will avoid riding with you.

Even if they de-odorize it, you'll always think you smell smoke, so they definitely should replace your truck. The offending employee and those who covered up should be fired, and if they have children, reported to Protective Services as abusers. Maybe sent to GITMO. You should get a lawyer too...I smell big emotional distress money. We can only imagine how truly violated you must feel. But just remember, we're all behind you and we'll help you get through this.

From a penitent and reformed ex-smoker
Old 08-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Quote:
Damn-it now I'm fired up. I've sent them an email and I'm going there today to have a talk with them. Thanks for lighting the fire under my butt. Guess I was just being a nice guy AGAIN. I need to stop doing that .

You can be nice but insistent and persistent.

I looked at my ticket. It included seat cover removal/cleaning, carpet cleaning, new mats (since the ashes were on one of the mats), 2 cans of BG FrigiFresh, one unit of BG FrigiClean, 4 hours labor to clean the evaporator core, and 3 hours labor on the seats and interior detailing. It didn't show an actual cost on the ticket.....which likely meant the dealer ate the labor and materials.

I looked up the BG FrigiClean (which I didn't request, which was nice). It removes nicotine oils from the evaporator core as well as disinfects/fungicide to clean the evap core. Supposedly you spray this foam stuff into the A/C system and then flush it out to get rid of the nasty grungies.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC
Man, that's unbelievable. Once someone has smoked in a vehicle it can never be the same. Its like rape, only worse. Everyone who gets into your truck will know. It'll start getting those looks. Friends will avoid riding with you.

Even if they de-odorize it, you'll always think you smell smoke, so they definitely should replace your truck. The offending employee and those who covered up should be fired, and if they have children, reported to Protective Services as abusers. Maybe sent to GITMO. You should get a lawyer too...I smell big emotional distress money. We can only imagine how truly violated you must feel. But just remember, we're all behind you and we'll help you get through this.

From a penitent and reformed ex-smoker

ROFLMAO!! We just got out of a rental we had for 7 days that reeked of air freshner! Everything smells. I can still smell it on my shoes!