H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road
Default Back-Off

I finely installed a brake light signal module from Signal Dynamics Corporation. It is called BACK-OFF XP. There are two ways to wire it to your center brake light.

Mode One - 4 short flashes and one long flash for about 10 sec., then it repears itself.

Mode Two - 5 short flashes then steady on.

I used Mode Two. Now the cars in back of me will notice me better. The system I had on my bike worked great. There is also an optional back up flaser. This causes the center back up light to flash when you are in reverse.
Check it out - signaldynamics.com
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back-Off

Tailgater repellent
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Steve - SanJose

Sounds interesting. Does it shorten bulb life?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder
I finely installed a brake light signal module from Signal Dynamics Corporation. It is called BACK-OFF XP. There are two ways to wire it to your center brake light.

Mode One - 4 short flashes and one long flash for about 10 sec., then it repears itself.

I used Mode Two. Now the cars in back of me will notice me better. The system I had on my bike worked great. There is also an optional back up flaser. This causes the center back up light to flash when you are in reverse.

Very Cool..
The site showed a demo of the flashing set up's... but it only showed flashing the center (Third Eye) Brake Lamp. Is this in fact how it works...just the center?? They talk about how it Flashes your LIGHTS ... not Center Lamp. So I assume that it does only the center lamp as the hook up shows and talks about.

Where was your center light 12 Volt feed located and what color wire is it.
I'd like to order one. It would be helpful if you could direct us to that feed wire for the center lamp..

Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

Since the center back up light was installed to attrace attention to your stopping, the BACK-OFF enlarges the odds of your being seen. With it flashing it looks like your panicing and hitting the brakes several times instead of just once.

WIRE LOCATION
I pulled out the lower right corner of the top portion of the rear door and removed the bottom protion completely. Just below the right corner of the top section is a wire connector which has two large wires going to the rear wipper and two smaller (black and green) wires going to the center light. I tapped into the back ground and split the green for the red and the red with white stripe. The wires are long enough for the little power pack to be secured just to the left of the wire connectors. NOTE; make sure the thing is over far enough to the left so the tab on the lower section will go all the way in and not conflict with it.
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Since the center back up light was installed to attrace attention to your stopping, the BACK-OFF enlarges the odds of your being seen. With it flashing it looks like your panicing and hitting the brakes several times instead of just once.

WIRE LOCATION
I pulled out the lower right corner of the top portion of the rear door and removed the bottom protion completely. Just below the right corner of the top section is a wire connector which has two large wires going to the rear wipper and two smaller (black and green) wires going to the center light. I tapped into the back ground and split the green for the red and the red with white stripe. The wires are long enough for the little power pack to be secured just to the left of the wire connectors. NOTE; make sure the thing is over far enough to the left so the tab on the lower section will go all the way in and not conflict with it.

Thanks Pounder...

The only thing I'm concerned about is damaging the molding when opening that area up. Do you simply pull down on the panel and it will un clip..??

What is the fastener type..?? A clip..or a ball snap in device..?? Or can I just pry open with a screw driver.

Thanks dude.

Up Date..!! Just ordered one... Nice people..will ship to day...

Last edited by Viet Nam Vette : 08-01-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:43 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

cool, i've wanted to do that too.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Not sure what they are charging for shipping on their website, but here it is on eBay for $4 bucks less.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ops
Not sure what they are charging for shipping on their website, but here it is on eBay for $4 bucks less.

It was about $6.00 UPS from Fla to NJ ..and I got the tracking number to day...It's in route.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vette
Thanks Pounder...

The only thing I'm concerned about is damaging the molding when opening that area up. Do you simply pull down on the panel and it will un clip..??

What is the fastener type..?? A clip..or a ball snap in device..?? Or can I just pry open with a screw driver.

Thanks dude.

Up Date..!! Just ordered one... Nice people..will ship to day...

I used a piece of wood to pry up the right side of the top section (not knowing what was behind there) just enough to et at the wire. The bottom cam off easy. Both sections are held by clips and just snap back in place. The bottom section is easy to get off and on. Just unplug the connector and tap into the two small wires. The two large wires go to the window wiper. Semper Fi...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
I used a piece of wood to pry up the right side of the top section (not knowing what was behind there) just enough to et at the wire. The bottom cam off easy. Both sections are held by clips and just snap back in place. The bottom section is easy to get off and on. Just unplug the connector and tap into the two small wires. The two large wires go to the window wiper. Semper Fi...

Thanks...Well get into it when the unit shows up...
"Always Faithful"
Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Viet-Nam
66-67
2/9

Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Viet-Nam
66-67
2/9

Viet Nam 66-67 140th HEM US Army War Zone "C" III Corps.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Viet Nam 66-67 140th HEM US Army War Zone "C" III Corps.

USMC
DaNang to the DMZ
I Corp

Oh, the fun times we had. Happiness is two ammo humpers and a full belt. When in doubt empty the magazine.
Like the photo of Hanoi Jane. Met her once and passed up the chance to dinger her. To much paper work.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Oh, the fun times we had. Happiness is two ammo humpers and a full belt. When in doubt empty the magazine.

Happiness is Two ammo Humps and a few cases of Duper Rounds.
My best friend from 66-67

Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Hmm... if your brakes were flashing like crazy while I'm tailgating you, I'd probably figure you were too old and incompetent to be driving and rear-end you just to make a point.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
Hmm... if your brakes were flashing like crazy while I'm tailgating you, I'd probably figure you were too old and incompetent to be driving and rear-end you just to make a point.

The only thing that flashes is the center Third eye Brake lamp. The outer lamps lock on as normal.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only thing that flashes is the center Third eye Brake lamp. The outer lamps lock on as normal.

Flashing lights confuse me. When I get confused, I get angry. When I get angry, I smash things. Think about all the epileptics out there, won't you?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
Flashing lights confuse me. When I get confused, I get angry. When I get angry, I smash things. Think about all the epileptics out there, won't you?

Ok Dude.. For You... No Problem...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale

heeyyyy .... he said "third eye"

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!