H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-30-2003, 11:39 PM

Mango is off the scale

OK, the 540s are too big to fit inside the factory opening with the lamp guards on. I'm considering either altering the plastic bumper opening to accomodate the 540s or switching to the 510s. Problem with the 510s is that they have white guards--guess I could paint them black. One thing to remember is that the grill guard (if present) impinges on this area when the hood is opened leaving little clearance if the lights are not recessed into the DRL openings somewhat.

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Old 01-31-2003, 01:24 AM

Mango is off the scale

Just discovered that the 510s have solid covers not grids like the 540s. That defeats the desired look. Gotta make the 540s work

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Old 02-06-2003, 01:58 AM

AUBURN H2 is off the scale

I have posted some pictures of some rally neat looking custom made bumper mount light brackets at topic "AUBURN H2(offroad light mounts) You might check these out for other lihgt mounting options. They are available for sale with or without the lights.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

Just in case we haven't beat this to death, there's a good diagram of the differences between fog and driving lights on the PIAA site: http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=520smr.html

Keep talking guys, you'll solve all my quandries before my truck arrives!

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 AM

Mango is off the scale

I have given up on the PIAAs for now and have ordered CATz MSCs which are 3 1/2 inch round auxillary driving/fog lights and plan to mount them in the existing openings. If someone came out with a bracket like AUBURN's for the factory DRL location I would be interested. Actually, someone needs to come out with a whole new plastic bumper piece with 6 inch openings in it. The SMA show car actually has PIAA 520s mounted and they fabricated the housing from steel as AUBURN did--not sure what they did with the plastic piece under the center black grill that has the hitch pin opening in it. They may have replaced it also. Their kit revolves around their heavy duty grill guard, but I was told by Cole at SMA that they would be offering them later this year. Here's his email:

Ted,

The piece that you are referring to in our show truck is actually a steel valance that we made to house the PIAA 520's, but it also the mount for our brushguard. We felt that the hood was not the ideal place to mount a brushguard if you wanted to use it for what it is designed for. The metal valance will be available later this year, and we will offer it with both sizes of holes, one for the factory DRL's and the larger for the PIAA 520's. One thing to consider is the legal issues with removing/modifying the DRL's. I am currently unaware of the current legislation, but it may be a wise idea to consider first. Keep an eye on our brushguard located at http://smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=8&pid=584 for more updates on when it will be available. These photos show the steel valance with the factory DRL's.

Good luck,

Cole