H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road
Default On-Star trouble

I have the whole set-up, however I never activated it. I recently decided to go ahead with activation due to the possibility of taking the tire off the back. That way someone can come to change the freaking tire for me (due to my late condition of laziness) Anyway, the thing will not connect. It will dial and cont to do so until it finally just goes off. I called On-Star and the lady explained that it was the truck and that a signal could not be established, therefore leading her to believe that something is either unplugged, or that the hardware is bad. Has anyone had this problem? Was it an easy fix if so? Reason I ask, is because the nearest Hummer dealer is 2.5 hours away! I was also thinking that maybe any GMC dealer could possibly fix this problem. Would I be wrong in that assumption/ Thanks in advance.....Jamie

Last edited by jmsspratlin : 06-06-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Hummer Authority

ChiHummer3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On-Star trouble

Hmmm.....never heard of that happening. I would call your Hummer dealership and pick their brain first, and at least let them know what's going on, so it's on record. But, yeah - any GM dealership should be able to fix it for you.
Good luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHummer3
Hmmm.....never heard of that happening. I would call your Hummer dealership and pick their brain first, and at least let them know what's going on, so it's on record. But, yeah - any GM dealership should be able to fix it for you.
Good luck!

Thanks bro, same thoughts I was having, just wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking crazy (too early in the AM).....Jamie
Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Hummer Expert

Vettster is on a distinguished road

I also never activated mine. I don't know if it works or not.
They sent me a bill the other day for a second year of service.
WTF?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

My OnStar went dead about six months ago, and the dealer replaced the fuse. Then, a couple of months ago it went dead again, and the dealer said that an "OnStar module" was defective. They replaced it and said that the Onstar power light, which is usually green, but was red, would turn green again within 24 hours. It never did. It would act as you described - try to dial, but never get a connection. I took it back, and they determined that there was a loose connection to the antenna, and they fixed that.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
My OnStar went dead about six months ago, and the dealer replaced the fuse. Then, a couple of months ago it went dead again, and the dealer said that an "OnStar module" was defective. They replaced it and said that the Onstar power light, which is usually green, but was red, would turn green again within 24 hours. It never did. It would act as you described - try to dial, but never get a connection. I took it back, and they determined that there was a loose connection to the antenna, and they fixed that.

I contacted the local GMC dealer here and he said they don't do work on the Hummers, esp one under warranty. So I guess I'll have to make the trip to Mobile, AL instead. Joe Bullard, here I come.......Jamie
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvmyhmr is off the scale

The local GM dealer has to work on it, warranty or not. The one here tried that and got his butt kicked. Now they are happy to do all my service work. Am having the OnStar updated to Analog/Digital tomorrow for $15 and a years service in advance. The GM dealer is doing it Friday morning. OnStar works when cell phones won't, good to call service techs at home at night to get "limp home" repair instructions.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know about the US but in Canada any Hummer repaired under warranty has to be done at A Hummer dealer unless the repair is deemed an emergency repair, in that case the non hummer dealer doing the work has to actually call the nearest Hummer dealer and it is set up as A sublet repair through the Hummer dealer. Big pain in the butt. Off warranty take it anywhere and any dealer should have no problem working on it unless there are any hummer specific tools required for the job as only Hummer dealers have these tools shipped to them as essential tools.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
I dont know about the US but in Canada any Hummer repaired under warranty has to be done at A Hummer dealer unless the repair is deemed an emergency repair, in that case the non hummer dealer doing the work has to actually call the nearest Hummer dealer and it is set up as A sublet repair through the Hummer dealer. Big pain in the butt. Off warranty take it anywhere and any dealer should have no problem working on it unless there are any hummer specific tools required for the job as only Hummer dealers have these tools shipped to them as essential tools.

That was my thinking as well
Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
I contacted the local GMC dealer here and he said they don't do work on the Hummers, esp one under warranty. So I guess I'll have to make the trip to Mobile, AL instead. Joe Bullard, here I come.......Jamie

Where are you located at?

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Where are you located at?

Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach
Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all GM dealers will or can even service a Hummer. Hummer requires some special tools for many repairs, and only Hummer dealers would have these tools.

Now, on to the problem.
With a 2006 H2 you have a generation 6.1 analog/digital Onstar module.
I would recommend, removing the Onstar fuse under the hood, and let the system sit for five or ten minutes. Re-install the fuse, and see if the system operates.
The problem could be the module, and this could be a bigger pain the arse then it sounds. Last I heard, Onstar modules are on restricted ordering, so after the dealer performs the diagnostics and discovers a box is bad, they have to order from technical assistance. Tech assist oks the shipment of the module to the dealer, then it is installed and programmed to the vehicle.
It could also be a bad connection between the module and the antenna, or a bad antenna.
Now, this one is tricky. If you press the emergency button and connect, but you cannot connect via the normal call button, then the system is probably operating ok; however, the local cellular service is not recognizing your Onstar module. If you do this step; PLEASE make sure to immediately tell the Onstar operator you are either diagnosing the system or you accidentally hit the button. If you hear, Onstar Request has Ended," without pressing the end button, the system was able to connect, but not able to complete the call.
Most of the diagnostics for Onstar require a Tech 2.

Now, if you are in the military, try a local GM dealer and explain the problem. They, if they want, can service an Onstar module, and it requires nothing special other than the Tech 2, which is used by all GM dealers. Service procedures for Hummers is included in their online electronic service information received from GM, so they can't say they do not have the procedures. For programming, the information comes through TIS, they have access to TIS. Parts for an any GM vehicle can be ordered from any GM dealer (excluding Saturn and Saab). Even the WINS warranty system, can pay any GM dealer for any repair. Might take a phone call, but it can be done (except for Saturns and Saab).

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Not all GM dealers will or can even service a Hummer. Hummer requires some special tools for many repairs, and only Hummer dealers would have these tools.

Now, on to the problem.
I would recommend, removing the Onstar fuse under the hood, and let the system sit for five or ten minutes. Re-install the fuse, and see if the system operates.
The problem could be the module, and this could be a bigger pain the arse then it sounds. Last I heard, Onstar modules are on restricted ordering, so after the dealer performs the diagnostics and discovers a box is bad, they have to order from technical assistance. Tech assist oks the shipment of the module to the dealer, then it is installed and programmed to the vehicle.
It could also be a bad connection between the module and the antenna, or a bad antenna.
Now, this one is tricky. If you press the emergency button and connect, but you cannot connect via the normal call button, then the system is probably operating ok; however, the local cellular service is not recognizing your Onstar module. If you do this step; PLEASE make sure to immediately tell the Onstar operator you are either diagnosing the system or you accidentally hit the button. If you hear, Onstar Request has Ended," without pressing the end button, the system was able to connect, but not able to complete the call.
Most of the diagnostics for Onstar require a Tech 2.

Now, if you are in the military, try a local GM dealer and explain the problem. They, if they want, can service an Onstar module, and it requires nothing special other than the Tech 2, which is used by all GM dealers. Service procedures for Hummers is included in their online electronic service information received from GM, so they can't say they do not have the procedures. For programming, the information comes through TIS, they have access to TIS. Parts for an any GM vehicle can be ordered from any GM dealer (excluding Saturn and Saab). Even the WINS warranty system, can pay any GM dealer for any repair. Might take a phone call, but it can be done (except for Saturns and Saab).

Good luck.

Very helpful...thanks a mil. I will try the fuse removal in the morning. I really hope that's the fix. These dealers down here are not only sorry, but also lazy. No one wants to provide quality work anymore. Hell, if I had that attitude at work, people would die.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
Eglin AFB, Fort Walton Beach

I figured so...im in Destin. I had the same problem when i was under factory warranty but now that im on GMPP i just go to the chevy dealership(preston hood i think). They recently acquired a Hummer certified tech so perhaps they can help you out too.

My buddy Bill has an H2 running around Crestview that you have probably seen...its black, chromed out, lifted to the sky and running 44in boggers. Its the most impractical thing i have ever seen but it is cool nonetheless.

Im not sure if youve ever wheel on plan on wheeling your h2 at all but we go to Tellico 2x's/year. Its about 2 hrs north of Atlanta and a heck of a good time.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I figured so...im in Destin. I had the same problem when i was under factory warranty but now that im on GMPP i just go to the chevy dealership(preston hood i think). They recently acquired a Hummer certified tech so perhaps they can help you out too.

My buddy Bill has an H2 running around Crestview that you have probably seen...its black, chromed out, lifted to the sky and running 44in boggers. Its the most impractical thing i have ever seen but it is cool nonetheless.

Im not sure if youve ever wheel on plan on wheeling your h2 at all but we go to Tellico 2x's/year. Its about 2 hrs north of Atlanta and a heck of a good time.

Yeah, I have seen that Black H2 in Crest-tucky. I pass through there occassionally on the way to the SMX track. By the way, what is GMPP? Also, I really don't see a whole lot of H2s running around these parts. I thought I would though because there is alot of money down here. Anyway, thanks for the idea about Preston Hood. Maybe I can con them into looking into this for me before driving all the way to Mobile. Take care bro.....Jamie
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Hummer Authority

If you dont see them in fwb come on down to Destin...they are everywhere! Most of them will never be wheeled and are blinged up(not that there is a problem with that as long as the truck remains functional--just have a look at my rig and youll see i dont have a problem with bling). Especially now with all the tourist in town i see one every other car it seems like. The kids play hummer no hit back instead of punch buggy no punch back so i get an instant alarm everytime there is a hummer around. We have several h1s running around as well.

GMPP is general motors protection plan--it is the gm extended warranty. I just rolled over 36k(05 warranty is only 36k) when we got back from Tellico so i was on my gmpp and Preston Hood serviced my truck no problem.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
If you dont see them in fwb come on down to Destin...they are everywhere! Most of them will never be wheeled and are blinged up(not that there is a problem with that as long as the truck remains functional--just have a look at my rig and youll see i dont have a problem with bling). Especially now with all the tourist in town i see one every other car it seems like. The kids play hummer no hit back instead of punch buggy no punch back so i get an instant alarm everytime there is a hummer around. We have several h1s running around as well.

GMPP is general motors protection plan--it is the gm extended warranty. I just rolled over 36k(05 warranty is only 36k) when we got back from Tellico so i was on my gmpp and Preston Hood serviced my truck no problem.

I'll be sure to include that expense in the upcoming month's bills. I only have 19K on it now. I mostly drive it to work and back (Eglin AFB ) which is only about 6 miles. We also take it to the Destin Commons and Silver Sands Outlet, being that my wife loves to shop and the BMW won't hold a weekends spoils. Thanks, maybe I'll see you around. Thanks bro.....Jamie
Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Now, on to the problem.

I looked under the hood, however I'm not sure which is the "On-Star" fuse. I hate to go pulling all fuses as a test, so I was wondering if you knew exactly which fuse was designated for On-Star. Thanks man.....Jamie
Old 06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Found the correct fuse (info fuse 15amp). Pulled it, waited a while, plugged back in, still no signal....oh well