H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM

H2 Vette is off the scale

It's been a few months since this topic was active so I thought I would bring this to the surface again for the benefit of new H2 owners. I did this modification with the diode last night in my 2004. 5 minutes to make the wire 4 minutes to install. Works great!!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM

It's been a few months since this topic was active so I thought I would bring this to the surface again for the benefit of new H2 owners. I did this modification with the diode last night in my 2004. 5 minutes to make the wire 4 minutes to install. Works great!!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Vette:
5 minutes to make the wire 4 minutes to install. Works great!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG??
Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Vette:
5 minutes to make the wire 4 minutes to install. Works great!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG??
Old 07-28-2004, 03:02 PM

[/quote]_WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG??_ [/quote]

Too busy gutting out Bose. One day when I figure out how to post pics, I'll show all the work!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:02 PM

[/quote]_WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG??_ [/quote]

Too busy gutting out Bose. One day when I figure out how to post pics, I'll show all the work!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Made this mod in about 2 minutes, took longer to look up the wire. This is such a great idea. I hope everyone will share these ideas like this as it is just a little gem. I'm making a small personal note book off the ideas so i can always refer back on next rig. I used a real light gage wire. I think it was about 20 gage. Do You think that will be heavy enough. Has anyone experemented with wire size? I have not put diode in yet I'm watching to see if while driving around it gets others to take more notice so as to prevent someone from smashing into Me. I have always been a defensive driver but it is all the others I worry about on the road.
I'm wondering and it is not really all that important but I'm assuming a person would want to keep more replacement bulbs around as the increased time of the different bulbs being on when normally they would be off will upset how long they were supposed to last. This thought just came to Me as some of the billet trim like roof top marker billet is held on by 3M double side tape so the more often they need replaced then tape needs replaced. Where can I buy that 3M tape that is used in alot of the mods on H2? Your info will be appreciated. Also do You think the bulb life will shorten all that much as I mentioned?
Thanks
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 11-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Made this mod in about 2 minutes, took longer to look up the wire. This is such a great idea. I hope everyone will share these ideas like this as it is just a little gem. I'm making a small personal note book off the ideas so i can always refer back on next rig. I used a real light gage wire. I think it was about 20 gage. Do You think that will be heavy enough. Has anyone experemented with wire size? I have not put diode in yet I'm watching to see if while driving around it gets others to take more notice so as to prevent someone from smashing into Me. I have always been a defensive driver but it is all the others I worry about on the road.
I'm wondering and it is not really all that important but I'm assuming a person would want to keep more replacement bulbs around as the increased time of the different bulbs being on when normally they would be off will upset how long they were supposed to last. This thought just came to Me as some of the billet trim like roof top marker billet is held on by 3M double side tape so the more often they need replaced then tape needs replaced. Where can I buy that 3M tape that is used in alot of the mods on H2? Your info will be appreciated. Also do You think the bulb life will shorten all that much as I mentioned?
Thanks
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 PM

ChuckE is off the scale

While I did the diode mod a couple months ago, and it works just fine, exactly like it is supposed to, the one thing I didn't like was the loss of the ability to run with only the parking lights on. By the way, to confirm what has already been mentioned, a small diode is all that is needed. The current draw for the relay, used to turn on the DRLs, is only 150 ma (0.15 amp).

To have no DRLs with the parking lights, is something that I still wanted when I go cruising in the Christmas Lane area of town (hundreds of houses lit up, and people cruise through without their headlights on – very holidayific!). The DRLs being on would be pretty annoying.

When I installed the diode, a while back, I used a "wire nut" (a little twisty thing that you put over the bare wires to tighten the two wires together. I figured that if ever I wanted to revert back to the original working all I needed to do was untwist the wire nut.

Yeah, that works, of course, but I wanted a cleaner solution. So, since I was under the hood to wire in some other accessory, I decided to bring the wires out for the DRL mod. It is a simple switch that I mounted on the dash, directly in series with those two wires.

Switch on (contacts bridged) and the mod is in place, giving me the DRLs on with the headlights.

Switch off (contacts open) and the action is like original. Thus I can have just the parking lights on (no DRLs).

AL MOORE had mentioned this a while back, but I only thought I’d resurrect the subject, to remind people that you can have both modes, with a simple switch. (Bringing the wires through the firewall was the HARD part, but I was already doing that for the other wiring I was doing anyway.)
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 PM

ChuckE is off the scale

While I did the diode mod a couple months ago, and it works just fine, exactly like it is supposed to, the one thing I didn't like was the loss of the ability to run with only the parking lights on. By the way, to confirm what has already been mentioned, a small diode is all that is needed. The current draw for the relay, used to turn on the DRLs, is only 150 ma (0.15 amp).

To have no DRLs with the parking lights, is something that I still wanted when I go cruising in the Christmas Lane area of town (hundreds of houses lit up, and people cruise through without their headlights on – very holidayific!). The DRLs being on would be pretty annoying.

When I installed the diode, a while back, I used a "wire nut" (a little twisty thing that you put over the bare wires to tighten the two wires together. I figured that if ever I wanted to revert back to the original working all I needed to do was untwist the wire nut.

Yeah, that works, of course, but I wanted a cleaner solution. So, since I was under the hood to wire in some other accessory, I decided to bring the wires out for the DRL mod. It is a simple switch that I mounted on the dash, directly in series with those two wires.

Switch on (contacts bridged) and the mod is in place, giving me the DRLs on with the headlights.

Switch off (contacts open) and the action is like original. Thus I can have just the parking lights on (no DRLs).

AL MOORE had mentioned this a while back, but I only thought I’d resurrect the subject, to remind people that you can have both modes, with a simple switch. (Bringing the wires through the firewall was the HARD part, but I was already doing that for the other wiring I was doing anyway.)
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was mentioned before, but I just hooked up the DRL's with the headlight jumper. So I have the option of having only the parking lights on. The DRL's are on during the day, and whenever the headlights switch on. Looks great at night! Merry Christmas!

'03 H2
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Hummer Guru

I think it was mentioned before, but I just hooked up the DRL's with the headlight jumper. So I have the option of having only the parking lights on. The DRL's are on during the day, and whenever the headlights switch on. Looks great at night! Merry Christmas!

'03 H2
Old 12-23-2004, 08:02 AM

ChuckE is off the scale

Hummm, connecting to the headlights...
Yes, that will give the usually preferred and cool (IMHO2) look of the forward four white lights on all at the same time, and you can still have the parking lights alone.

Good, but I still have the option to have the parking lights and the DRLs and not the headlights (not often, in reality).

I do like having the option, but if I were to want the DRLs+Headlights then your method would be an easy way, and no wires going through the firewall, too (what a chore). Thanks!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:02 AM

ChuckE is off the scale

Hummm, connecting to the headlights...
Yes, that will give the usually preferred and cool (IMHO2) look of the forward four white lights on all at the same time, and you can still have the parking lights alone.

Good, but I still have the option to have the parking lights and the DRLs and not the headlights (not often, in reality).

I do like having the option, but if I were to want the DRLs+Headlights then your method would be an easy way, and no wires going through the firewall, too (what a chore). Thanks!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

I saw where it was mentioned in the thread that the jump could be made to work with just low beams. With the Anal law enforcement officers around here that is what i would like to do. Does anyone have a diagram or picture to share?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Just connect along the yellow line there. You should also throw in the relay so the drl's don't turn on the headlights in the day...
Attached Images

'03 H2
Old 03-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Hummer Expert

JMV1210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

'03 Black Adventure Package, Airaid Jr w/ MIT, Granatelli MAF Sensor, Hypertech III Programmer, Webasto sunroof, Predator tire carrier. Hot wife

Hey Doc,
So does that mean durring the day when your DRls are on your parking lights are not on as well? And at night when you throw on (or when it auto switches) the headlights the DRls automaticaly stay illuminated? If so I think thats what I would want. How is that done again?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Hummer Expert

JMV1210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just connect along the yellow line there. You should also throw in the relay so the drl's don't turn on the headlights in the day...

This may be it????
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

That's relay, spelled D-I-O-D-E.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by tower:
That's relay, spelled D-I-O-D-E.