H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased right now.

Tested two more times with no gear, then two times with. Still have done no tuning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those numbers look great! Nice job!!

Watch out for the car washes. I had to reinstall after my antenna got torn off at one.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carl:
I agree. By placing it in the middle does that make it hard to get to? If your OK with a middle of the roof location, why not mount in the exact middle through the mesh GOBI deck? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I had mine mounted through the mesh on the driver's side. I ran into two problems. The first being the joint not being long enough to go through the mesh and two thick washers.

The second is I had to use two smaller washers against the mesh so everytime the antenna hit a tree it moved and started loosening by rocking back and forth. You have to use two very wide washers to hold it to the mesh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know...

Who's Carl?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM

saturn75 is off the scale

Go with the wilson 5000 one of the best out there.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased right now.

Tested two more times with no gear, then two times with. Still have done no tuning.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rodster, Dick, anybody else,
I just got mine all hooked up and went outside and tested it. With the antenna up, I got my SWR tuned to:
<table border="1">
<tr><th>Channel</th><th>1</th><th>19</th><th>40</th></tr>
<tr><th>SWR</th><th>1.1</th><th>1 - 1.1</th><th>1.2-1.3</th></tr>
</table>
But for kicks I decided to check it with the antenna folded down and the SWR jumped way up into 3+ range. I didn't expect it to be so bad.

I know that Glenn on this thread said he had "good range" with the antenna down. But with my SWR so high isn't it bad for the radio to transmit?

Rodster,
Did you check your SWR with the antenna down? If so, what was it?

Dick, anybody else,
I've got a Firefly 3' antenna, it didn't have the little ground wire like some antennas do. I do have a left over eyelet/lug from the mounting plate because I got the plate to ground on the roof rails really well. Should I try inserting this between the antenna and the Valor foldover and then running a wire to the stud above the insulator but below the foldover to improve conductivity? Or will this not help at all.

BTW, once I figure out the handset mount for my Midland, I'll do some picts on a new thread. Even though it's like a lot of other people's mounts, I took a few pictures of the process that I haven't seen elsewhere.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:18 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:

Rodster,
Did you check your SWR with the antenna down? If so, what was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say, no I didn't.

According to everything I read, you should be concerned with the 3+ reading. Hopefully Dick will see this and offer advice.

A half-baked idea: Given the huge leap in numbers, I wonder if your swivel mount is losing contact when folded?

And FWIW, the tuner instructions said to take readings in an open area. With the antenna next to the roof you're not in an open area, yes?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Hummer Authority

I was also guessing that it isn't making good contact when folded down. Hence the idea to directly wire the top portion to the stud.

I don't really expect it to work well when folded down, but I'd like to know that if I do transmit with it down accidentally, I'm not going to be damaging the radio. I'll just try not to do that
Old 02-09-2006, 07:24 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
I was also guessing that it isn't making good contact when folded down. Hence the idea to directly wire the top portion to the stud.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That extra wire is for ground, yes? My concern about adequate contact isn't about ground but rather, the signal itself.

This one is way over my head so hopefully Dick will have something.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:31 PM
shhrtbs

if it's folded down, you're reflecting your transmit signal off the roof and right back into the antenna. the swr is telling you how much reflected signal is coming back to your transmitter. a swr reading of 1.0 is perfect, and hardly achieved. most standard commercial broadcasters shoot for a reading of 1.5 or better. anytime you broadcast with your antenna folded flat, you're going to be reflecting that signal back into your transmitter. it's not good for it, but a lot of today's cbs are pretty bulletproof, it shouldn't hurt it unless you keep the transmitter keyed for a long time. it will work better if you put it up though.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

ree,
I have been gone working on a case.

The high SWR is to be expected with the antenna folded down. The radiation pattern of an antenna is supposed to be a figure 8 if the antenna is in proper relation to the ground plane (roof) assuming it is centered on the roof. With the off center mount it will be a lop sided figure 8 with directional characteristics toward the vehicle body mass. If the antenna is moved toward the back the lobe will radiate toward the front passenger side. In reality the pattern of the stick type mobile antenna is more circular with a bulge toward the dominant body mass of the vehicle. When you lay the antenna down most of the pattern goes into the roof with some reflection. You can get some very limited short range transmit and receive. As far as damage to the radio, the final transistors may experience damage if you transmit for long periods of time, but CB radios are very low power (less than 4 watts out for 5 watts into the final) so damage may or may not occure. Never use a linear amplifier with that SWR. Not only is it illegal, but it could cause major damage to the linear. The only antenna that will operate in a down position with any acceptable SWR is a full length whip mounted on a ball and spring tied down to the gutter with an insulated clip. This type of antenna still needs a tuner between the radio and the antenna to have acceptable SWR.
All HAMS and Military communications on vehicles that tie down the antenna use tuners. CBers have gotten away with no tuner because of low power, but have SWR of 3:1 to 5:1 or greater.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
ree,
I have been gone working on a case.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You bastard! I've been sitting around for 2 and half hours waiting for your free advice and your stupid excuse is that "I was working." You're so selfish

Thanks guys for the explanations. I feel better about my CB-newbie install now.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have to work, my wife is spending up to my potential and beyond!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:
I have to work, my wife is spending up to my potential and beyond! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell her she needs to appreciate it more when you get paid in gratitude Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

I would need to use my Taser on her to sell that program.