H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: CHECK AIR SUSPENSION!!!!

Since I do not off road this will be a dumb question to some. but, I have ridden in air and coil rear springs and prefer the air ride by a huge margin.

Is the problem with air springs mainly due to off roading? I loved the adding the t to the lines so they could be filled like old air shocks. I'm going to put a t in truck just in case. Was the complete pump unit remove to be able to get to the lines for t or could it be done someplace easy enough with pump still mounted.

The pump unit is easy enough to take down but, just curious about alternate location.

Would like comments on air versus spring as a friend bought a 04 right before i bought 05 and he had springs and he fussed everytime he got in my airride over his springs.
THANKS

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

TAZ, Loved the air ride but I just got tired of the wondering when it would fail again. I have have two level sensors replaced and one air spring replaced due to the dealership not knowing how to collapse the spring before lowering a frame lift and let the suspension hang down causing the spring to fully extended and blow out in my garage scaring the sh!t out of the wife and I, there was a post of mine on that one. Now this last problem of a "I think" plugged filter that is not shown in the service manual to have given me a idea to look into as a possible cause. Not that it really mattered because I already had my mind made up that the coil were going in.

Because the two lines "meet in the middle" above the compressor I would say that has to be the easiest place to splice into it. I raised the back up to where from gound up to fender flare was 43.75 and just gave me enough room to get out of the garage. Plus, there may be a little more work in doing that because the compressor would still be in use but I am sure TAZ you can figure it all out.

Thanks, Ed
Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Thanks Easy for the info. Also I appreciate you letting us know about the filter situation. I would not have thought of looking for it. So You did many a favor.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Hummer Novice

Boston Hummer is on a distinguished road

I got air ride and would rather have coils and add a truxxx lift, is there a DIY on coil swap for air ?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road

Did you need to use a spring compressor? I'm thinking of puting in air bags and need to cut the hole in the top rubber disk bigger.

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults2.aspx?cID=741

or

http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchResults2.aspx?cID=740

Last edited by vlxjim : 02-28-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so besides swapping out the air bags for coils and rip out the whole air system.

Can the air system be left to operate the inflator only and not the suspension?

If so how is it done and can it be done without having a service air suspension warning on for eternity?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNH2
Ok so besides swapping out the air bags for coils and rip out the whole air system.

Can the air system be left to operate the inflator only and not the suspension?

If so how is it done and can it be done without having a service air suspension warning on for eternity?

BUMP! Trying to help out a friend. He has an 03 and is on his second set of airbags. They have now failed again.

So, I have the part #'s for the two springs. Now how do I deal with leaving the compressor in place and bi-passing the service air susp. warning. Or is it better just to re-wire teh compressor and pull everything else?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman
Thas why I am GLAD I didn't get the air system...IMO nothing but troubles...

Got to say that I'm not missing the headaches either ~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

I Have the Air Baggies.. and the most important thing to go with them is.. A 7 Year GM Warranty Bumper to Bumper. Plus my dealership knows HUMMERS. They service about 5 to 7 a day

And when that warranty runs out I'll buy another if I don't have a 2017 H2
Old 12-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

ALRIGHT! on my 5th try I remembered how to log in. Just wanted to say that my air suspension has been draggin for a couple of weeks . I unbolted the air compressor and tossed it in the trash then I joined three hoses together with a fitting. One hose from each airbag and one hose that leads up into the cargo area for hooking up to to fill tires. Then I stuck my shop air hose in fitting in cargo area and filled up my air bags. Walla! level hummer with air ride. Heres a pick maybe. doug
Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

Try this?
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug
ALRIGHT! on my 5th try I remembered how to log in. Just wanted to say that my air suspension has been draggin for a couple of weeks . I unbolted the air compressor and tossed it in the trash then I joined three hoses together with a fitting. One hose from each airbag and one hose that leads up into the cargo area for hooking up to to fill tires. Then I stuck my shop air hose in fitting in cargo area and filled up my air bags. Walla! level hummer with air ride. Heres a pick maybe. doug

Neat Idea.... But when the outside temp changes so will your ride height. Same as tires... Cold out side ..Need more air... Warm outside tire pressure goes up less air....

Maybe you could hook an air pressure gauge up to that line and fill till your rig is level..then note the pressure and then you'll be able to nail it agian as the temp changes.

Also don't forget that the up and down movement of the bag during operation down the road creates heat which will raise the pressure...

Any comments..on the above.. Jump On In ??
Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

pohlease is on a distinguished road

Well I never thought it would happen to me. I got to my sister's for Christmas (an hour from home) and realized my rear end had bottomed out. My rear end did fishtail at one point on the way here...I am not sure that has anything to do with it. It looks like my driver side bag is partially inflated but my passenger side is completely deflated. Both sides are on the bumpstops.

Should I have gotten a "service air suspension" warning or something? I've read that though other people's airbags had popped they could still hear the compressor pumping? I don't hear that either. I checked the fuse in the dash and the larger fuse in the engine bay both look good. The button to raise the truck does nothing when i depress it.

I have a 2003 Adventure package. Is there anything else I should look at? Unfortunately it is Christmas day and I am not sure when I am going to be able to get it to a dealer. Should I tow it home? I think my long term plan will be to replace the airbags with a regular shock system...as much as that pains me.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear of your problem on Christmas day

I had mine go out one day on the way to work and it was as 60 mile round trip. I then drove it to the dealer that was an hour away. The ride is rough but doable.

Good luck, Ed

P.S. You should have got a "service air suspension" warning when it went out
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

hurricane is on a distinguished road

can you post pics of your ride height?