H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Hummer Novice

Escondido is on a distinguished road
Default Goodyear Tire Problems

Anybody had problems with the Goodyear Wranglers? Curious if there was a bad run of the tires or I just happened to get three bad ones.

Getting some new wheels put on this week and the tire guy said the tires needed to be taken back to the dealership. Three of my tires were developing bulges on the sidewalls. Only 7K miles on the tires. The tire guy said they were coming apart. I tend to believe him since he wasn't going to get anything out of replacing them.

Dealership was trying to put this off as road hazard and should be covered by that policy. Of course I didn't purchase their over priced tire insurance when I bought the H2. Last on I got 90K out of the tires.

Anyway, I rejected this solution. There is no way that three tires show defects on the sidewalls at 7K. There suggestion is to wait for the regional rep to come into town and get his approval to replace the set. Also not a satisfactory answer, not with visions of the old ford explorers in my mind. Sets a pretty good precedence for how bad a blown tire can be. They of course tried to minimize the risk, saying it was just a minor blemish.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

SirFer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Goodyear Tire Problems

It's actually funny you should mention this.I was just noticing yesterday that my Goodyears are getting bulges in the sidewalls, on all 4 of them. My truck is new, bought in December, and only has 5,500 miles on it. My uncle is actually a jeep owner but does alot of wheeling and when he isn't he's researching stuff, and he saw my tires and told me to keep an eye on them because Goodyears are notorious for getting square and just have all sorts of problems. I dismissed him and figured that that might have happened in one batch, but surely they would have fixed it, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe this will justify some new wheels and tires
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine came with BFGs, but there was a guy at Ken Batchelor this morning with a white H2 who was having issues with his Wranglers. Or was that you???

Stacy
Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Some types of tires are noted to have side mold bulges that do not affect the tires durability.
As for Wranglers...I believe the tread and the wear is terrible. However, I use Goodyear for Vettes, I would not put them on my truck/h3, etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Hummer Novice

Escondido is on a distinguished road

SirFer - I bought mine in early February but I believe it came off the line in early December. Not sure if they are the same batch but maybe there was a bad run of tires then.

Stacy - Yep that was me, going round 2 with them. Nice Ride you have there. I am jealous of the lift, I can barely get into the parking garage at work now, definitely wouldn't be doing it with your rig. VERY NICE! I had BFG's on my first H2 and actually got 90K out of them, probably hung on to them a little too long, but never an issue with them.

f5fstop - This is different than the side mold bulges. There is a section in the sidewall that it is starting to form a pretty good size bulge. One of the guys at the dealership was claiming it was normal and showed me one on the showroom with the side mold bulges. Went back out and showed them the side mold bulges which happened to be not far from the problem spots. They finally agreed that it was a different animal.

The good news, after a second round of discussions, three new tires will be put on in the morning.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

KB is usually pretty good in dealing with issues, I'm glad you were taken care of. I'm running Goodyear MTRs right now - they'll fit a stock H2 without a lift, and won't rub if you have a good alignment. I have had exceptional wear and zero problems with them. They're tricky to find, but they are tough tires.

Stacy