H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

at hummer events if you do as the spotter
tells you and still break it will be covered.
but go off the deep end you'll pay.
at least at our dealership.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

at hummer events if you do as the spotter
tells you and still break it will be covered.
but go off the deep end you'll pay.
at least at our dealership.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:51 PM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

With the Rancho lift the reason for wheels with different off set is to clear the repositioned spot where the tie rod connects at. It is moved from the bottom to the top to keep the angle of the tie rod the same as stock. This gets it closer to the edge of the wheel and would hit the stock wheel. No spacers are used. The stock wheel is 8.5" wide. Mine are 9" with a little more offset to clear the tie rod ends. I don't think it's the lift, but the larger tires and a little more offset could push the front end over the edge more easily than stock. We were told by the dealer spotters that we were driving correctly, nothing we did in our driving caused it (as soon as bounce started we stopped). One added thing...We have the winch mounted when this happens...extra front end weight?

As I watch the videos on here of the rigs that have bent their tie rods, it's is apparent that the bounce, spin and sudden traction is what's causing the tie rods to bend. Just happens way to easily in my mind.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:51 PM

With the Rancho lift the reason for wheels with different off set is to clear the repositioned spot where the tie rod connects at. It is moved from the bottom to the top to keep the angle of the tie rod the same as stock. This gets it closer to the edge of the wheel and would hit the stock wheel. No spacers are used. The stock wheel is 8.5" wide. Mine are 9" with a little more offset to clear the tie rod ends. I don't think it's the lift, but the larger tires and a little more offset could push the front end over the edge more easily than stock. We were told by the dealer spotters that we were driving correctly, nothing we did in our driving caused it (as soon as bounce started we stopped). One added thing...We have the winch mounted when this happens...extra front end weight?

As I watch the videos on here of the rigs that have bent their tie rods, it's is apparent that the bounce, spin and sudden traction is what's causing the tie rods to bend. Just happens way to easily in my mind.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't put much stock in commentary from a spotter provided at a dealer event. A) they may know next to nothing, b) they may not know much about driving the H2 off road, or c) they may be a bit braindead from dealing with getting 20 vehicles or so(some with inexperienced drivers) through a trail. I went to a few of these dealer outings early on and have since learned that they really don't teach you good technique.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't put much stock in commentary from a spotter provided at a dealer event. A) they may know next to nothing, b) they may not know much about driving the H2 off road, or c) they may be a bit braindead from dealing with getting 20 vehicles or so(some with inexperienced drivers) through a trail. I went to a few of these dealer outings early on and have since learned that they really don't teach you good technique.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 PM

BKLYNH2- Perhaps, however our spotter was the "Hummer Product Manager. With over 30 years of automobile experience and 9+ plus years with Edmark Superstore, Dick is one of the original 63 National Hummer Product Managers". Besides him there were over a dozen other H2's with drivers and passengers as well as perhaps 6 to 8 other Hummer dealers plus the service manager watching. The hill was a straight shot with loose dirt towards the top. No turns.

Just as a point of reference, Dick told me that the front end in the H1 has been redesigned around a half dozen times before getting to where they are now. Breaking lots of tie rods in the process. He also mentioned that the reason my 1 ton (with the same tie rods and lift as my H2) hasn't had any problems and the H2 has is perhaps because the H2 has been stretched out another 2" putting even more torque on the parts than the 1 ton. What this is sounding like to me is that the H2 is built to it's limits, not much margin at all like in an ordinary truck.

This comes as a huge disappointment for us. We figured the H2 was as advertised with overdesigned ruggedness. The take away for folks here is to make sure you understand the limits for how you plan on using your rig. We overestimated the H2 for our needs. Also, thanks to all who gave information for aftermarket parts to help the H2's problems. Obviously there is a market out there for beefing up the H2's tie rods and other front end parts. I wonder why???
Old 05-13-2004, 08:06 PM

BKLYNH2- Perhaps, however our spotter was the "Hummer Product Manager. With over 30 years of automobile experience and 9+ plus years with Edmark Superstore, Dick is one of the original 63 National Hummer Product Managers". Besides him there were over a dozen other H2's with drivers and passengers as well as perhaps 6 to 8 other Hummer dealers plus the service manager watching. The hill was a straight shot with loose dirt towards the top. No turns.

Just as a point of reference, Dick told me that the front end in the H1 has been redesigned around a half dozen times before getting to where they are now. Breaking lots of tie rods in the process. He also mentioned that the reason my 1 ton (with the same tie rods and lift as my H2) hasn't had any problems and the H2 has is perhaps because the H2 has been stretched out another 2" putting even more torque on the parts than the 1 ton. What this is sounding like to me is that the H2 is built to it's limits, not much margin at all like in an ordinary truck.

This comes as a huge disappointment for us. We figured the H2 was as advertised with overdesigned ruggedness. The take away for folks here is to make sure you understand the limits for how you plan on using your rig. We overestimated the H2 for our needs. Also, thanks to all who gave information for aftermarket parts to help the H2's problems. Obviously there is a market out there for beefing up the H2's tie rods and other front end parts. I wonder why???
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

No way it can be your fault. It's just a GM conspiracy to underbuild the front end so it will cost you more money.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Banned

No way it can be your fault. It's just a GM conspiracy to underbuild the front end so it will cost you more money.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Yes, it was my fault. I overestimated the H2.I believe that GM/Hummer will eventually redesign the front end as they have on the H1 through the years. Those of you who own H1's know how much beefier they are now.

It was fun while it lasted. Oh well.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Yes, it was my fault. I overestimated the H2.I believe that GM/Hummer will eventually redesign the front end as they have on the H1 through the years. Those of you who own H1's know how much beefier they are now.

It was fun while it lasted. Oh well.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

Yep, H1s have beefier front ends now and at one of our happenings an '04 H1 bent a tie rod on an obstacle, no H2 tie rods were bent.

Are you trying to say that a GM 3500 truck has a shorter wheelbase than the H2? What exactly has been stretched out another 2 inches?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

Yep, H1s have beefier front ends now and at one of our happenings an '04 H1 bent a tie rod on an obstacle, no H2 tie rods were bent.

Are you trying to say that a GM 3500 truck has a shorter wheelbase than the H2? What exactly has been stretched out another 2 inches?
Old 05-13-2004, 09:34 PM

The WIDTH of the front end. The H2's are wider than the Chevy trucks. This added width must cause things to move and act differently on them. Different stresses basically on the same parts? I have this curse that makes me try to understand why things happen. I'm just trying to understand what happened. I know what I did and did not do. I think I understand now what happened to my H2 and why.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:34 PM

The WIDTH of the front end. The H2's are wider than the Chevy trucks. This added width must cause things to move and act differently on them. Different stresses basically on the same parts? I have this curse that makes me try to understand why things happen. I'm just trying to understand what happened. I know what I did and did not do. I think I understand now what happened to my H2 and why.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

Well I really hate to hear it, but I guess the time has come to unload a few rounds into Ole Yeller. Its been a good run though. You'd better part everything out to recover some of your sunk costs.

I'll start the bidding for all your accessories at one dollar. Do I hear two?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

Well I really hate to hear it, but I guess the time has come to unload a few rounds into Ole Yeller. Its been a good run though. You'd better part everything out to recover some of your sunk costs.

I'll start the bidding for all your accessories at one dollar. Do I hear two?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Banned

The overall width might be 2" in difference but I doubt there is much width difference hub to hub. The biggest difference between 2500 and 3500 4X4s and the H2 is that the H2 has the TC. Some people are getting their front tires up in the air spinning with alot of velocity and "bounce" back down staying on the throttle. The TC is going to kick torque back and forth. An H2 is made to go slow and creep its way along not blast through an obstacle. This one reason why BTMing with the H2 can be a helpful maneuver.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Banned

The overall width might be 2" in difference but I doubt there is much width difference hub to hub. The biggest difference between 2500 and 3500 4X4s and the H2 is that the H2 has the TC. Some people are getting their front tires up in the air spinning with alot of velocity and "bounce" back down staying on the throttle. The TC is going to kick torque back and forth. An H2 is made to go slow and creep its way along not blast through an obstacle. This one reason why BTMing with the H2 can be a helpful maneuver.