H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Elcova Newbie

SUT Dan is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust w/ a Growl !!

Any suggestions appreciated for an exhaust system or addition to my stock system that would improve performance and emit a little "Roar" on acceleration.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

ttkresurfacing is off the scale
Default Re: Exhaust w/ a Growl !!

Depends on how loud you want it. I have a Gibson that is pretty queit inside and I think there is one on ebay right now for like $20. Or if you want it a bit louder then Magnaflow sounds nice. If you go to the manufacturers sites most of them have sound clips. Almost any exhuast will help a little with performance.

TIm
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

8500lbs is on a distinguished road

some of the best mods that can be done to stock system for decent money consist of Cold Air intake, Programming (either Hand Held or New ECU), and a cat back exhaust.

For cold air intake there are many options but from what I have seen many of the guys here run Air Aid or Volant CAI.

Programming is a great option, I have superchips and it has served its purpose but now I am looking for more. The best i have heard of seems to be NelsonPerformance.Com

Exhaust is all hats off. to many brands and opinions to tell ya which way to go. I liked Borla because of the name, Tips, and Sound. From what i have found all cat back systems offer about the same HP gains.

If you are wanting to be able to feel what you are changing the best option is the programming. it changes so much it is hard not to feel it. the rest is harder to feel.

My .02
B
Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

ttkresurfacing is off the scale

Nelson is very good at programming. Never heard a single complaint about him so far. Once he does the initial tune, he will retune at any time for just shipping cost (like $10).

Tim
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

1GaNole is on a distinguished road

I have edelbrock headers, borla duel exhaust, K & N cold air intake, comp chip mod, and mine sounds AWESOME at idle and driving. I have auto start and it get's lots of attention from way off when I crank it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I Really LOVE my Magnaflow and Volant CAI!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

PLEASE EXCUSE ME THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE THREAD CONCERNING BRUTES CUT OUTS. Hope anyone may gain some help from this anyway. It is the reason I take time to share my 4 years of working on H2's. I think Dragon and I will be on our 3rd complete tear down inside and out this summer including a complete media blast to take all paint off to bare metal. So Dragon and I should be able to help at least from seeing the beasts parts tagged and numbered etc. from every area a part can be removed. Sorry for wrong thread to be in.

Many routes to great exhaust sound. Just a matter of who you choose to let lead you through that maze.

I have been as big a supporter of Allen Nelson tuning as you could find through a search of my threads and one of the first to bring him up to the forum 3 or 4 years ago through some work with STS TURBOS that Allen provide all tunes for their kits. I got to know him outside this world first. He cannot be beat.

Nelson cannot be beat unless as He says you dare step into the world of using software to tune your own ride then you can push the limit. Allen is a businessman and will never push a tune to point of it being a danger of damaging your engine. Yet it will come as close to a self tune situation with a safety margin as he feels it should. If you choose to risk blowing up your stuff that is on you as he told me. Allen will not do that as it is not ethically his call to make and he has to consider liability issues.

If you want to start to experitment with tuning I recommened you use HPTUNERS.com. It loads on your laptop and you can play with scenarios on the computer and see what it would look like. There forum is the best training school I have ever seen for a product. Most of the time 1 of the 3 owners are moderators and answering questions.

I must say they have been my sponsor for tuning since 2005. I sought them out not the reverse. I saw the early product just before they began to really roll after fall 2005 SEMA. I was hooked up with them before etc. and then 2006 just took off for them and 3 guys that never deserved it more. I told them what I had and what I dreamed of doing with their software and was told not sure it would do that. It did do that so the learned while i learned.
I'm telling this so anytime I push HPTUNERS.com I have 2 sides that I do it for and the practical use side is the strongest reason.

Go to site and if nothing else just start reading forums and picking up more knowledge about how the whole combustion stuff works even if you have Nelson do it. If he asks a question you will have a better answer or understand why he asks it anyways.

Brute the only reason I see that putting the cut outs ahead of the cats is it would then not give your ECM the sensor info the rig needs for any kind of tune as some of sensors and readings needed are located on intake of cat and exit sides.

Brute how is the reverb on the interior of the rig with cutouts right under the cabin? I had my tailpipes turned down on my Dynatech setup right in front of rear axle at first and by the time I drove it home my insides felt like jelly. So over the rear axle they went and then all good. I was looking at cutouts later but looking at running a second set of pipe out in front of rear tires. Now just for a run I figure your location should be just fine. I would appreciate your feedback on that situation. Thanks Brute Buddy!

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges

Last edited by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ : 03-25-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: In wrong thread.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Stainless is on a distinguished road

I have the Corsa "sport" catback SS system on my 2008. and it Growls for sure!!

love it, love it, love it!!

SJK
Euro/smoke tint side, top and rear marking lights
K&N cold air kit, GM lockpic

www.TeamShooters.com
Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Elcova Newbie

SUT Dan is on a distinguished road

Fantastic input so far and w/in 12 hrs. No doubt I jumped in the correct forum with well educated hardcores. Thanks for the 411 folks !

Dan
Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Corsa sport. Hands down. You can hear it on their website.

Had problems with their reliability, tho. If you don't offroad, you'll be fine.

Stacy
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

peppers&eggs is on a distinguished road

Have a Flowmaster on my rig and it sounds real nice. It's not loud when your crusin but if you get on it, it has a nice deep RoaR.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

rpm07 is on a distinguished road

I have Edelbrock headers with Dynomax 4inch cat back it is very loud. But I like it
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

carefull or you might get a DRoan with that growl.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson