H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At the dealer again....

Last week, I dropped the H2 off to have them look at my steering issue. I thought my steering pump was bad because you literally couldn?t turn out of a parking spot.

They called me and told me that my steering box was leaking. (which I recently noticed I?ve had to add steering fluid)

A grand later, I picked up my truck. Nope, still stiff.... I called the dealer and told him it was still the same. They were busy and told me to drop it off next week.

In the meantime, I cranked up the torsion bars and installed the rear spacers. The truck is sitting about 3? taller so when I took it back to the dealer, I immediately was told it was because of my lift. I was nice at first but when they insisted it was my ?extra? lift, I started to go the fuk off on them. I reminded them that I called them the very next day about the problem and I didn?t install the extra lift until 2 days ago...

I got a phone call yesterday and was told the power steering pump is bad. Okay, if that fixes it, replace it.

Got the call, the truck is ready... I get up there and drive the truck before I pay them. NOPE, not fixed....

We agreed that we could hear the pressure release valve going off about a 1/4 of the steering wheel. Thinking that something was binding, they wanted to remove the steering damper to see if that was binding.

Nope....

At the end of the day, they called me and felt they may have received a faulty steering box (I?m assuming they?re reman?s??) so they ordered one and we?ll start this all over again next week.

You know, it?s almost stupid how they wanted to blame the extra lift. Then after I reminded them on a time line, they said it was because it had big tires. I told them the lift had been on there for over 2 years and I sure as hell hadn?t been driving it like that.

Dealers are idiots...

Mark
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: At the dealer again....

Hi Bro, did they not put the Kent Moore Power Steering Analyzer on it or are they just replacing parts? The tool tests pressure and flow. Also some dealers just don't give a fu-k any more! Hope you get it sorted out.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/
Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds to me like they are using the shotgun approach to fixing your steering. My guess is that something is binding in the steering box because that's the only thing they haven't changed lol. Didn't Paragon have a steering box issue a few years ago then got a new dealer one that was also defective???

Last edited by HummerJim : 12-10-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr
Hi Bro, did they not put the Kent Moore Power Steering Analyzer on it or are they just replacing parts? The tool tests pressure and flow. Also some dealers just don't give a fu-k any more! Hope you get it sorted out.

Tracy,

Hey bud, long time no talk... how’s it going? Well, I can see why they replaced the steering box because obviously it was leaking. I think however, the powersteering pump was a shot in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
It sounds to me like they are using the shotgun approach to fixing your steering. My guess is that something is binding in the steering box because that's the only thing they haven't changed lol. Didn't Paragon have a steering box issue a few years ago then got a new dealer one that was also defective???

Actually, the steering box is what they changed originally. Now they’re going to replace it again.

Mark

Last edited by OrangeCrush : 12-10-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Hi Mark i am doing ok, i can you they did not test it with the tool or they would not just be replacing parts. Plus didn't they test drive it after the steering box change? If they did they should know it was not right. On a side note i just bought a set of used gears with 15,000 miles on them from a end rear shop in BC. IWE Rear Ends Only. so i rip my truck apart then go to press the new bearing on and pinion and its bent. I have been a class A mechanic for 26 years and never seen that before they bent it 1/4 inch pressing the bearing off i think, then sent it to me. I AM SO PISSED OFF i left them a message on the phone and emailed a picture i can't Believe they sent it out. Its very easy to see right on the bench that its bent. Sorry Mark for go off the thread but I AM SO FU_KING PISSED OFF. so then i put it all back together again with the old gears. I will have to see what they will do or if their service is sh-t.

Name:  bent.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  28.4 KB

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Last edited by twr : 12-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr
Hi i can you they did not test it with the tool or they would not just be replacing parts. Plus didn't they test drive it after the steering box change? If they did they should knew it was not right. On a side note i just bought a set of used gears with 15,000 miles on them from a end rear shop in BC IWE Rear Ends Only. so i rip my truck apart then go to press the new bearing on and pinion and its bent. I have been a class A mechanic for 26 years and never seen that before they bent it 1/4 inch pressing the bearing off i think, then sent it to me. I AM SO PISSED OFF i left them a message on the phone and emailed a picture i can't Believe they sent it out. Its very easy to see right on the bench that its bent. Sorry Mark for go off the tread but I AM SO FU_KING PISSED OFF. I will have to see what they will do or if their service is sh-t.

Attachment 53640

Dude, I get it man.... I hate that shiet. Hopefully it’s an oversight and they just replace it.

I hate when I do shiet like that when I call them up, they quickly want to say I did it. If I did it, I’ll fukking tell ya.

Mark

PS What were you buying? A complete hogs head or just ring and pinion?

PSS. Nevermind, I forgot you posted a pic... DUH!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Dude, I get it man.... I hate that shiet. Hopefully it?s an oversight and they just replace it.

I hate when I do shiet like that when I call them up, they quickly want to say I did it. If I did it, I?ll fukking tell ya.

Mark

PS What were you buying? A complete hogs head or just ring and pinion?

PSS. Nevermind, I forgot you posted a pic... DUH!

If you need any ring and pinions for our truck, let me know... I?ve got the stock ring and pinion. (though I personally don?t like using used gears, I didn?t know what you were doing with the gears.)
Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Hi bro, its my first and last used ring and pinion. I know they are going to say i FU_KED it up we will see i didn't touch it just pulled it out of their box. I WISH i would have looked at it before i ripped my truck apart me. Its my new winter truck 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel your fault [MARK] after your DMAX conv i had to have diesel for towing. Plus i didn't want my H2 to see anymore winter SALT around here the way they dump it.

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Last edited by twr : 12-11-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

****, you already have all those components replaced... But for anyone else having steering issues- Definately call AGR! ****ing dealers said there was nothing wrong w/ my steering pump every time I brought it in...they said they are all that way- No power in parking lot manuevers.

I literally snapped the shaft ****ing around in the snow. Replaced the pump w/ an AGR unit. WOW. If I would of ever had any clue how much of a difference that is- It hands down would of been my 1st mod even if the stock pump was still good.

w/ my 38s stopped on dry pavement, I can damn near literally throw the steering wheel and turn the tires!

On the truck forums, there's some guys that religiously flush the entire powersteering system on a yearly basis. A good high quality synthetic powersteering fluid makes a difference also. Less likely to burn the fluid.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
****, you already have all those components replaced... But for anyone else having steering issues- Definately call AGR! ****ing dealers said there was nothing wrong w/ my steering pump every time I brought it in...they said they are all that way- No power in parking lot manuevers.

I literally snapped the shaft ****ing around in the snow. Replaced the pump w/ an AGR unit. WOW. If I would of ever had any clue how much of a difference that is- It hands down would of been my 1st mod even if the stock pump was still good.

w/ my 38s stopped on dry pavement, I can damn near literally throw the steering wheel and turn the tires!

On the truck forums, there's some guys that religiously flush the entire powersteering system on a yearly basis. A good high quality synthetic powersteering fluid makes a difference also. Less likely to burn the fluid.

Hey mud, do you remember what model number steering pump you got? Did you do the box and pump or just pump?

I think that?s what I need to do. Remember how much it was?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Hummer Expert

Hi Mark is your pump the one off your H2 or the one from the diesel truck you bought, the pump may be different?

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr
Hi Mark is your pump the one off your H2 or the one from the diesel truck you bought, the pump may be different?

Dude,

Good question... I should ask. I’ll let you know.

I’m assuming the pump is off the diesel engine and the box is off the H2.

Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Hi i just don't want you to order the wrong pump. It may bolt on different or lines may be in a different lacation or something. P.S just trying to help before a problem.

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Hey mud, do you remember what model number steering pump you got? Did you do the box and pump or just pump?

I think that?s what I need to do. Remember how much it was?

Thanks,

Mark

I called AGR direct... They were great to talk to on the phone. I never would of throught the power offshore boats require so much power to turn. Alot of their pumps are used on racing boats and limos.

I told them I wanted a "bullet proof" pump. They put in a chromeoloy shaft, thrust needle bearings or something like that, high pressure spring, bla bla bla... If you search on my name I know I posted all the info about it last year. If its not on this site, try clubhummeroffroad.com - same username. I basically have the pump in their ram assisted steering kit. Think it was 300-$400 or so. I would of paid $1000 if I knew how much it would change the drivability.

FYI, you upgrade to the chromoly shaft, your eliminating the stock weak point of the system. I believe the steering box would then be the next weakest point...ask them about it. I did get the pump only, so I had to break down my stock and transfer it over. Its not really hard...just have to go slow and becareful paying attention.

Honestly if I ever had to do it again, I would just get a complete pump from them. Then your not screwing around trying to get the pulley off, resouvar tank, etc...

Believe me, it is the ****. My x wife couldn't believe how great the truck drove after that also. Everyone should do this mod. AGR recommends royal purple synthetic fluid. Flush the **** out of your stock system before you put the new pump in. There was a "how to" on one of the big GM truck forums for flushing the system.

You will grin like you did the 1st day you got your truck w/ their pump. I can't say enough good things about it/them.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr

AGR would know, I'm pretty sure all the trucks use a P-series pump. But there are different tanks & brackets. I was trying to find a larger tank, but never got around to it. Bigger tank=better cooling, less of a chance to burn the fluid. I will be putting on a power steering cooler at some point also.

Forgot to say in my above post. When I switched to my 24" rims and 38" Tires I lost what felt like 30% of my braking power. Hell of alot more rolling mass. But w/ that new pump it felt like I got back about 15-20% of my lost braking back!

Last bit of info....I believe AGRs quality is above the stock replacement PS pump, but you may be able to just get the spring/valve from AGR. On the back of your stock pump, pull off the hard line, theres a big fitting behind it. Thats where the spring/valve goes. That will allow the higher pressure. Wether or not the rest of the factory components in the pump can keep up w/ that is for you to decide. It may be the "$50 fix" for steering woes.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Man, thanks for all the great info. One question though...

If I order a “whole unit”, is it a direct bolt-in? If so, I’m ordering it today.

I’ll call AGR this morning and see what they say.

Thanks!

Mark

PS. You mentioned about adding a power steering cooler. I believe there is one from the factory. The H2 has more “coolers” on it than any vehicle I’ve ever seen.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Hummer Expert

Hi on a 2008 a steering cooler is stock, i am not sure about 2003-2007 but i think they have one to.

2008 H2 SUV
MC2 Roof Light Bar
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Man, thanks for all the great info. One question though...

If I order a ?whole unit?, is it a direct bolt-in? If so, I?m ordering it today.

I?ll call AGR this morning and see what they say.

Thanks!

Mark

PS. You mentioned about adding a power steering cooler. I believe there is one from the factory. The H2 has more ?coolers? on it than any vehicle I?ve ever seen.

Should be direct boltin. There is a stock cooler, but crank your wheel and hit your brakes and see how fast and hot that cooler gets.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Hummer Guru

Okay, so called AGR and they’re suggested the whole enchilada. (power steering box, pump and hydraulic stablizer) $1050...

I got my truck back from the dealer. They replaced the steering box again and this time it’s worse than when I took it in.

I didn’t pay for it (all I have paid for is the steering box for almost a grand) so tomorrow I’m going back to the dealership and getting them to take their parts off and give me my money back.

In the meantime, look what brown brought me today....

[IMG][/IMG]

They’re HUUUUGE!

They were suppose to be delivered at the end of the day but they were so packed in the UPS truck, they had to deliver them first thing this morning so they’d have room...lol.

The UPS guy is named Frank, he was cussing me as he pulled in. He said he knew who’s they were before he even read the label. He said he was yelling “MAHONEY, you son of a bitch”...lol.

Last edited by OrangeCrush : 12-13-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Hummer Expert

Cool!

I can't read the sidewalls, but the tread looks like my Toyo Open Countrys.