H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Elcova Rookie

HUMMN is on a distinguished road
Default OEM headrest monitors

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 H2 SUT and I am looking at purchasing the OEM headrest monitors of either these:

or these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140593208078?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649#ht_3306wt_1037

I am in the process of getting an iPad 2 fabricated into the dash of my rig and would like to know if their is anyway I can tap into the video feed going up to the headrest monitors so I can view the iPad screen on these as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Matt
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Hummer Expert

2010_5thgen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OEM headrest monitors

im sure theres a way. on mine, i know you can watch the same dvd on both screens or you can watch 2 separate dvds on each screen. mine are the oem ones like you show. i wonder how hard it would be to find the lines that connect the 2 screens together. they have to run out the bottom of the seat somewhere.
let me know if you get an ipad hooked up, id love to make this work on my truck too.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
im sure theres a way. on mine, i know you can watch the same dvd on both screens or you can watch 2 separate dvds on each screen. mine are the oem ones like you show. i wonder how hard it would be to find the lines that connect the 2 screens together. they have to run out the bottom of the seat somewhere.
let me know if you get an ipad hooked up, id love to make this work on my truck too.

The ones in the picture or the eBay link are the ones you have?

Matt
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Hummer Expert

picture
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road

I've got the monitors in the first picture. One was not working when I got the 2, so I traced the wires (they were tucked up along the underside of the console next to the drivers seat. There was a miniature connection next to the seat, kind of like mini-RCA jack, that had come undone. I reconnected and taped it, then followed the wires to a small black box zip tied at the firewall above the gas pedal. I don't remember what connections were there, I don't think RCA though.
I'm not so sure you could Y into those connections with any sort of plug to do what you are trying. Sounds intriguing though......
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Hummer Expert

oh wait, you havent installed them yet right? my bad, i thought they were already in the truck. well if you go with t he ones in the picture, there is obviously a line that connects the 2 screens together to allow you to watch 1 movie on both screens. so i wonder if theres a way tot tap into that line to run the ipad?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Hummer Expert

it would be nice if you could use the ipad and it would appear on the screens in the headrest also. not sure if its possible, but it would be pretty nice. that way....everyone would have to watch me as i play ANGRY BIRDS!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmill28
I've got the monitors in the first picture. One was not working when I got the 2, so I traced the wires (they were tucked up along the underside of the console next to the drivers seat. There was a miniature connection next to the seat, kind of like mini-RCA jack, that had come undone. I reconnected and taped it, then followed the wires to a small black box zip tied at the firewall above the gas pedal. I don't remember what connections were there, I don't think RCA though.
I'm not so sure you could Y into those connections with any sort of plug to do what you are trying. Sounds intriguing though......

Yea, I can get a great deal on either sets of headrest monitors but I don't want to have no use for them if I can't send video into them in the long run. I may just be better off spending the extra $350-$400 and get the Vizualogic headrest monitors that have 2 separate inputs and a RCA connection box. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Quote:
oh wait, you havent installed them yet right? my bad, i thought they were already in the truck. well if you go with t he ones in the picture, there is obviously a line that connects the 2 screens together to allow you to watch 1 movie on both screens. so i wonder if theres a way tot tap into that line to run the ipad?

This is the same thing I was wondering. Not quite sure how I would figure out which wire is sending the video signal up to the headrests.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Hummer Expert

it shouldnt be hard to narrow it down. there probably is only 2 or 3 wires going to the screen. and im sure their color coded the same as any electronics.

if i have any input, ill just say go with the screens that have the individual dvd inserts. its much nicer than having a dvd player jammed in your glove box or center console. and it gives that person the freedom to watch what they want. the wireless headphones are nice too.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
it shouldnt be hard to narrow it down. there probably is only 2 or 3 wires going to the screen. and im sure their color coded the same as any electronics.

if i have any input, ill just say go with the screens that have the individual dvd inserts. its much nicer than having a dvd player jammed in your glove box or center console. and it gives that person the freedom to watch what they want. the wireless headphones are nice too.

Yea, it is either going to be those or the Vizualogic headrests I found for $650.

Matt
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road

Yes, having separate DVD players on both monitors has been very nice. My daughters used to argue about what to watch when we used a single DVD set-up in the van; now they can watch what they want in the deuce, or put a movie in one player and watch it on both screens.
The '07 set-up is awesome as it sports the two players. The '06 set-up had the single player in the console, which made for a skinny deep useless recess in the remaining console space, not to mention no flexibility to watch multiple movies.
If I'd have gotten off my lazy butt yesterday, I could have looked under the dash. I've got the van at work today, so I'll have to make an effort to remember to look and see if you could tap into that box under the dash. That would be cool to use the Ipad on the monitors. The only other thing I could think, which is not as clean, is to use the input jacks on the front of the monitors, just leave the cord out of sight and plug in as needed.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmill28
Yes, having separate DVD players on both monitors has been very nice. My daughters used to argue about what to watch when we used a single DVD set-up in the van; now they can watch what they want in the deuce, or put a movie in one player and watch it on both screens.
The '07 set-up is awesome as it sports the two players. The '06 set-up had the single player in the console, which made for a skinny deep useless recess in the remaining console space, not to mention no flexibility to watch multiple movies.
If I'd have gotten off my lazy butt yesterday, I could have looked under the dash. I've got the van at work today, so I'll have to make an effort to remember to look and see if you could tap into that box under the dash. That would be cool to use the Ipad on the monitors. The only other thing I could think, which is not as clean, is to use the input jacks on the front of the monitors, just leave the cord out of sight and plug in as needed.

Let me know what you find out! Think I am going to definitely go with the 2007+ model year headrests.

Matt
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Hummer Expert

Great choice