H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

ingydrummer is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed for removing fuel tank

My 03 H2 needs a new fuel pump. Its leaking at the lines coming out of the top of the pump. The lines coming from the top of the pump have rust all over them and there is gas stains in the ring around the sending unit. I smelled a strong odor of fuel at the rear drivers side wheel well and looked at the top of the fuel tank and can see the lines are wet with fuel. I was looking for someone who has pulled their tank and wouldn't mind walking me through the procedure. Thanks for any hints.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed for removing fuel tank

You'll need a floor jack and preferably a piece of 2x6 maybe 3' long. If at all possible siphon off as much gas as possible into gas cans before starting this project. Loosen and remove the fuel tank skid plate. Place the jack under the fuel tank and place the 2x6 length-wise under the fuel tank. Jack it up just enough so that the fuel tank is slightly raised. This will reduce the tension on the bands that hold up the tank. Loosen and remove the bands and then slowly lower the tank 2-3 inches so you have better access to the top side of the tank so you and detach the wiring plug and, tank breather and filler tube. Lower tank the rest of the way, but be careful not to spill any fuel. (It's best to do this when the tank is close to empty)
Do everything in reverse to reinstall. Pretty easy.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thank you DRTYFN, Im going to attempt this tomorrow morning, I got a price for an AC/Delco pump for 315 and the ring and seal at the dealer for another 50 or so. I have done everything on my rig but this, so I hope I can do this without any problems. Will update on progress. Is there any special tools for disconnecting the fuel lines like I have read in other post's?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

Also remove the filler neck from behind the fuel door (if you have one) or the tank will get hung up on the rubber hose connecting the two. When you get under there you will see everything that needs to be disconnected.

I had to drop mine when I installed my aftermarket lower control arms. As mentioned make sure the tank is as empty as can be. I think I had maybe a quarter tank an the think was heavy as hell!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Hummer Novice

KevintheMilkdud is on a distinguished road

Wow- I also have an 03 and had to do the same last month. Once I got started on it, it wasn't that bad. I was lucky and had only about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. When I was shopping for the pump I noticed the prices were wild- from 105- 500 dollars and all stated a 1 year warranty. I hope I dont regret it but purchased the 105 dollar airtex which came with the rubber seal and all went well. The only tricky thing was removing the pump, as you have to turn the locking ring to free the pump. They have a special tool but I just used a hammer and a brass punch to knock it loose. You dont want any sparking so dont use hammer and a metal punch. Good luck! Not as bad as you think.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks to all who responded, I just ordered the pump, seal and locking ring. Now I have to go out right after this post to jack the truck up and drain the nearly 3/4 full tank of gas. It would have to happen right after I filled the tank. Oh well, just another adventure in owning a Hummer. I just replaced the ignition switch last week that had me stranded for two day's. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

Let me throw this out here, would it be better to put the jack stands under the frame to let the axle be at its lowest point or should i put the stands under the axle? Just trying to think ahead here because im not sure if it would be better to let the axle sit low for clearance reasons.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingydrummer
Let me throw this out here, would it be better to put the jack stands under the frame to let the axle be at its lowest point or should i put the stands under the axle? Just trying to think ahead here because im not sure if it would be better to let the axle sit low for clearance reasons.
You could try that and see if it helps. I didn't have any problems at normal ride height.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Oh, so you didn't even jack the truck off the ground at all? I'm going to do that then, thanks DRTYFN
Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingydrummer
Oh, so you didn't even jack the truck off the ground at all? I'm going to do that then, thanks DRTYFN
No. I only used my floor jack for the fuel tank. IIRC, I only had about 1/4 tank so it wasn't too bad muscling it around.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

Maybe pull the rubber filler neck off the actual tank, then you could pump the gas out. 3/4 of a tank is going to be heavy as hell!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

I already did that LoJac963, as I was telling someone in another thread, There is an anti-siphon insert in the neck of the tank that does not let anything past the end of the filler tube. I used the pump to remove the gas. There was 18 gallons in there. I stuck a tube on the outflow of the fuel filter and jumped the relay in the engine compartment and it emptied the tank in about 10 min.s or so. So next it was pulling the lines and removing the straps and wouldn't you know it, the front strap u-clip nut broke away from it's bracket. Man that was a pain in the you know what to get off. Well the tank is out and now I can't for the life of me, get the freakin pump to break free from the tank. There is so much rust on it. I,m trying to post pictures of it, but it keeps telling me there is an erro in the download. I will keep trying, and keep updating. Thanks to all our members. This forum is a life saver and money saver.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

ALL DONE! We need a way to put SOLVED up on our threads to let everyone know we have completed the task, what do you think?