H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bulldog400 is on a distinguished road
Angry Transfer case select switch??

Every time I start my H2 all the lights come on the select switch but the top round button blinks for 15 to 20 sec after all other lights go out the others light up and go out and the top square button stays on. I do have the service 4WD message on but it will shift into 4hi and 4low with no problems but in 4low and in N the top round locker button(after pushing it) will only blink for 20 sec and go out. I'm hoping that I only have a bad switch. The rig has always had a binding feel when you turn the wheels sharp eather way and in forward or reverse. Last week during the snow it started alittle poping sound on the pass. side front. Not sure what it is but at high way speed you dont hear anything but around 5 to 10 mph it makes a clank,clank,clank sound. I also noticed the binding feeling seems to be gone but I dont think the front wheels are pulling only the rear. It seems like i have more than one problem here. Can someone give me some ideas on whats going on with my rig. Thanks, Rob
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfer case select switch??

Sounds like you might have a broken front cv joint and also sounds like the t-case will not shift to all wheel drive range. Could be internal t-case problem, encoder motor or switch.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

I second Humtech...

Odds are the case binding caused the CV to fail.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

I guess I'll take to the steelership today and see what they come up with.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Update!! my front CV joint feel apart about 100 yards from the steelership. They called and said it would be 1,200 to repace the front axle.WTF !! they were going to charge me $850 for just 1 front axle. I called the parts store and got one for $75. They want to charge me 1,900 to replace the rear diff. locking coil(they said thats why i have the service 4wd mess.) . This is why no one should ever go to a dealership to have there rig worked on. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY !!!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Hummer Authority

Im a tech at a dealership and i know parts are quite pricey. In a situation like that i would quote the gm shaft and an aftermarket shaft and let the customer decide. Thing is with an aftermarket shaft you have no warranty on the labor side of things. But the price difference in this case makes it worth it to go aftermarket. I always suggest cardone shafts, they are bigger joints than oem and have had no problems with them. As for the coil in the rear diff, kinda stuck there as its a dealer only part. You can try gmpartsdirect for a price but its still about 4-5 hrs labour as the diff has to come apart to replace it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

They called today and now want to check my shift fork in the transfer case to make sure its working right. I'm going to take it in this week becouse i dont want to drive it in 4hi lock ( the dealership said it was in 4hi lock due to the sevrice 4wd light). when you turn the wheel sharp you can tell its in 4hi lock. The hummer only has 58k mile and this has been my only problem( i just want it fixed).
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Elcova Newbie

ndrewoods is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog400
They called today and now want to check my shift fork in the transfer case to make sure its working right. I'm going to take it in this week becouse i dont want to drive it in 4hi lock ( the dealership said it was in 4hi lock due to the sevrice 4wd light). when you turn the wheel sharp you can tell its in 4hi lock. The hummer only has 58k mile and this has been my only problem( i just want it fixed).

Yeah, better let them check it. When you drive on pavement with 4HI engaged and turn the wheel to lock, a tire, if not two, should 'skip' as the transfer case has locked the front and rear axle together to turn at the same speed so the outer tires will have to rotate more than the inside tires. I have an LSD in the rear, but an option is to replace it with a true locking axle to give you even more traction. Best of luck.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Transfer case select switch??

Yah, good luck. I had a cracked CV axle last week, cost $250 to fix, parts, labor and all to get the new one and install it. I personally don't believe in the dealership (No offense to the techs on here though cuz you guys are awesome in helping us out! It's just a job at the end of the day). With that being said, I do not trust the dealerships for crap, especially when they don't have their own Hummer's sitting out front that they drove into work with. If they had one and owned one, maybe they woudl treat us a little different. It's not about the money, its about the experience for craps sake, quit trying to rip us off!

Again, no offense intended to our techs on here like Humtech, he really helps us out with stuff whenever he can. Props to you man, you need to move to the U.S. and open up shop, we will bring our business to you.$$$
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks, i appreciate that. I have thought about opening shop more than once. Still on the backburner though
Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Another thing you need to understand about the dealer. I bring a truck in, deal with the customers concern. At that point its my job to recommend maintenance. More times than not when i hand that recomendation to the service writer they change my wording to must do instead of recommend. That in my opinion is what pisses customers off most. Just my 2c lol