Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stupid Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
I'm not sure why you have such disdain for civil service. You turn the fact that someone that volunteers for crappy pay on job where they are highly likely to get killed by the scum of our society would be somehow less than the same if said person was forced into that same job.

The very fact that these individual DO volunteer to do this should garner a little respect and I can't fathom why it's such a stretch to do so.

If you think I have a disdain for civil service, then you haven't been reading what I've written. This sounds like an emotional response to my posts. Whether I "care about" or "disdain" civil servants is completely irrelavant to the discussion. The fact that a person is NOT required to do the job means a lot. He can be admired, and respected. But it is not a requirement, nor does anyone inherently "deserve" respect. To determine whether someone "deserves" respect is based on ethics. You can't arbitrarily blend ethics into the discussion.

I do, in fact, respect those officers that take the position to truly serve the public. For those that don't (ie. just treating it as a job, and nothing more) I simply have no extra respect or disrespect.

Last edited by CO Hummer : 12-19-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

What we see, depends largely on where we stand. I don't know where you formed your opinions about police.

You don't have to respect a judge either, (and I've had several that I have disagreed with) but, they have never witnessed any disrespect from me.

They know facts that are unknown to others, and make decisions that in light of those facts, I have disagreed with. If I were to act that with the same level of disrespect to that judge as some members of the public have acted with me, I would not only be fired, but would be rotting with the other "Protective Custody" inmates in jail.

I realize my job is different, I don't expect respect. I do think it's funny though when some arrested person who has been acting completely out of there minds while dealing with the police, gets to the jail. Corrections guys don't take nearly the crap those of us on the street are forced to deal with.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
If you think I have a disdain for civil service, then you haven't been reading what I've written. This sounds like an emotional response to my posts.
quite frankly, I have read exactly what you've written. You offer no personal respect to the individual who puts his life on the line for YOUR and your family's well being... that's disdain.
Quote:
Whether I "care about" or "disdain" civil servants is completely irrelavant to the discussion.
No, it's not. It's the basis you are using to argue your point. If you are using an emotional position to provide for argument, then there's really no point as common sense really wouldn't make much sense because you can't argue emotion.

Quote:
The fact that a person is NOT required to do the job means a lot.
care to explain? do you not feel any respect for anyone that served in the Armed Forces either? Someone that wasn't required but chose to do something that could easily cost them their life is still doing the same job as someone forced.
Quote:
He can be admired, and respected. But it is not a requirement, nor does anyone inherently "deserve" respect. To determine whether someone "deserves" respect is based on ethics. You can't arbitrarily blend ethics into the discussion.
I still don't think you understand. Respect for the law is not admiration nor adoration. It is acknowledgement thereof and your civil agreement to abide by it. When a LEO dons his badge he is an extension of that law and as a citizen you are most certainly required to respect him and that law. Not respect as in think he is a really cool guy, but respect as in respect the deadliness of a firearm, respect the danger of rock climbing, respect the forces of nature, etc.

That is the term I originally used and to say you don't have to respect an LEO or the law is the same as saying it's OK to disobey the laws.

I believe that is where much of this is misunderstood. Secondly, it seems you are breaking this down to the personal level and not at the law/legal/pragmatic level. I have no regard for any LEO that abuses the authority offered him by his badge and don't think it provides an excuse for anything but personally respectable behavior.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

jdrew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0313H3
Corrections guys don't take nearly the crap those of us on the street are forced to deal with.

I was following you until you said that...

Care to explain?

H.O.P.E. Member

Last edited by jdrew : 12-19-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Hummer Authority

I don't want to get into a lot of individual circumstances, but one for an example;

I took an intoxicated, fighting badass, multiple felon, - to jail for beating a lady he didn't know, in front of her children. He fought me and several other police officers and spit several times on the way to jail.

At jail intake, during the searching process he spit on the corrections guy and pissed on the wall. They jumped on him, stripped him naked, hog tied him and wiped up the pee with his own clothes. Then hauled him in the back to complete the booking process. It might not be right, but I left smiling.

I'm not trying to act like a cop here. I'm sorry I brought up my occupation now. Here, I am just a guy with an opinion. The title of the thread inspired me to give mine.

Last edited by RuggedH2 : 12-19-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
care to explain? do you not feel any respect for anyone that served in the Armed Forces either?

THEN.......

Respect for the law is not admiration nor adoration. It is acknowledgement thereof and your civil agreement to abide by it.

Hey man. Look at what you wrote! You ask me if I "feel" any respect, then you call it a behavior. You are right - I'm not necessarily getting what you've been refering to about "respect".

If respect is a feeling - I have admiration and adoration for some, and not for others. Not a big deal, and you are not arguing that.

If respect means to "act legally", then I agree that everyone should do so (presupposing that law is 'good', of course).

But whole tone of offering 'respect' for law officers, military personnel, or whatever has been to the tune of "they deserve more than others based of the risks they take". If respect is simply about obeying the law (as you say), then it's nonsensical to talk about respecting one more than another. You can "obey more" or "act more legally" to someone.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok, I deal with that daily from intakes or anyone of the other 500+ inmates..

I'm still trying to figure out why on the street is harder than behind the wall.

I have done both... Behind the wall is an entirely different world than out on the street.

Not trying to offend, but have you worked in a large jail? Want to spend a day with me?

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Attachment 34279

I respect all in Law

Last edited by usetosellhummer : 07-23-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrew
Ok, I deal with that daily from intakes or anyone of the other 500+ inmates..

I'm still trying to figure out why on the street is harder than behind the wall.

I have done both... Behind the wall is an entirely different world than out on the street.

Not trying to offend, but have you worked in a large jail? Want to spend a day with me?

I meant absolutely no disrespect whatsoever!

The whole thing is perception. The public expects to see restraint on the part of the police, they could be shocked by some of what happens routinely in a jail.

I tell stories with my friends, in front of my wife. Sometimes she cringes. When my jail and prison friends tell stories, I cringe.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
I meant absolutely no disrespect whatsoever!

The whole thing is perception. The public expects to see restraint on the part of the police, they could be shocked by some of what happens routinely in a jail.

I tell stories with my friends, in front of my wife. Sometimes she cringes. When my jail and prison friends tell stories, I cringe.

My uncle worked in a prison, and he had a LOT of stories. Many of them are hilarious.

I always laughed about the morons who crapped and pissed all over their cells to spite the gaurds. Needless to say, they were totally ing themselves because the guards simply let it sit there and kept the inmates stewing in their own juices.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just checking...

I gotta go now.. time to head to my "easy" job... lol

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wow.

I think that any job done by a human will have varied results and everyone deserves respect.

My friend has two brothers that are Cops in CA. And they are complete dickheads. The stories make me LMAO. Then I have met many that are a decent as can be. It varies like mailmen.

Generalizations and assumptions are never a good idea in either direction.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Generalizations and assumptions are never a good idea in either direction.

Typical stupid woman comment.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Typical Welder's Jargon.....
Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Typical Welder's Jargon.....

If all moderators weren't so stupid, you'd be banned.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey man. Look at what you wrote! You ask me if I "feel" any respect, then you call it a behavior. You are right - I'm not necessarily getting what you've been refering to about "respect".

Those two quoted statements were my point.

Originally I said you HAD to respect the legal arm of law, the LEO. As the discussion developed it appeared that your stance, even though it sounds personally disrespectful to those that do serve to protect others, you took it to mean I was saying one had to have PERSONAL respect for the officer, which are 2 completely different things.

Personally, I do respect each and every officer, just as I do each and every service member before and more-so that I respect you as a normal civilian. The very fact that they are volunteering to put their life on the line to protect MY way of life, IMO, deserves that kind of personal respect until they do something to lose it.

Sorry, in all reality they are not volunteering to provide a civil service by collecting my water bill or gather up my garbage. They actually may come close to a deadly incident once a year, may have to draw their weapon on another human being several times in their career and decide if they should pull the trigger or not, play marriage counselor nearly every day, go through a door not knowing what caliber weapon is on the other side, etc.

IMO, until they show that they don't, they deserve respect both personally and as that extension of the law.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
are you ghey
Old 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
are you ghey

No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not trying to act like a cop here. I'm sorry I brought up my occupation now.
Don't be, it's an honorable job.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Better for welding and sewing.