H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Phil H. is on a distinguished road
Default E-Locker in high range

Has anyone figured out how we can get our rear E-Locker to work in high range?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-Locker in high range

Not gonna happen, it disengages over 20mph. It will operate in low range only.

Why would you use a locker in high range anyway???
Old 07-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lots of reasons. High speed sand or snow bashing, for example. Also, when exploring off-road, there's many times when we're in high range and don't really need to go into low, but could use a locking diff (or two).

The Jeep Rubicon has the same problem. Those owners have figured out a few ways to bypass the low range only switch.

A personal reason is I've used locking differentials in my vehicles for 35 years and can decide when to use them. I'd rather not have an engineer (or attorney) dictate through vehicle design when I can use a locker. GM did a good thing when they put a switch to turn off the TCS and StabiliTrak in high range. I want that same choice for my E-Locker.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Most, not all of the H3 owners, including myself, don't know or have the vast experience w/lockers that you have.

I was just supposing, that with the 4:1 transfer case, TCS, and Stabilitrac, is a better design, and would less likely damage rear axels/diffs, than being locked up at a high speed.

Dunno really.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

I like the way the H3 incorporates the TCS and StabiliTrak, too. When I'm driving in slippery or weird conditions on the road, it's great. It's also great to be able to defeat the TCS and StabiliTrak when we want.

You're right - if the locker was engaged at high speed or on a hard surface, it would cause damage. This is the reason the engineers/attorneys put the low range only, under 20mph locker actuation rule into our H3s.

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of Off-Road magazine and have driven about everything that's come down the pike. I'm frustrated with all the safety features that are being forced on us, being the crotchety guy I am. The other side of the coin is the H3 is one of (maybe one of the two best) out-of-the-showroom off-road vehicles ever offered to the public. That's why I chose to buy one for my very own.

Now, if I can get that E-Locker to engage in high range . . .

Old 07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Hummer Guru

Wanna bring your 3 to the Rubicon with us??? Really test it out???
Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

When are you going?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Hummer Guru

July 22-23.....the whole enchilada

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18257
Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

My H3 is going back to Indiana for the front E-Locker and some prototype AmStar stuff. It will be gone during that time. I guess it will have to be another time for me.

I know everyone will have a great time!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil H.
My H3 is going back to Indiana for the front E-Locker and some prototype AmStar stuff.

Tell those guy's to hurry up with that stuff. I am still waiting on to release some of that stuff and put in production like the bumper/brush gaurd/winch and the box to go in the back among other things.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil H.
My H3 is going back to Indiana for the front E-Locker and some prototype AmStar stuff. It will be gone during that time. I guess it will have to be another time for me.

I know everyone will have a great time!

uhhhhhhh.....wait, Are they changing the size of the ring gear???

Will you show us what they have done when it is finished???

Have you read about the diff issues on this forum???

I'm so jealous I want to call you a bish, but I don't think that would be appropriate
Old 07-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Hummer Guru

Can I be you personal assistant? Are you Hiring??? J/K
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

They're keeping quiet about what they're going to do to install the E-Locker. I'll let everyone know what's up after the H3 returns.

I wrote a feature about AmStar a few months ago in Off-Road. Lots of people called, went to the dealer (who knew nothing about AmStar), and went to the website. Then we got hate mail saying we made everything up.

They tell me they're just about ready to go with all the parts. Since they are going to be selling through dealers, they want to be sure that everything they sell is OEM-spec.

I think I'm going to be the test case for some of the parts.

I've begged the powers-that-be for more staff. They said no.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

At's OK, I won't take it personally, and besides, I already have a job

I spoke with a Mr. Moriarty a month or so ago. He mentioned they had read the forum pretty often in their pre marketing/research phase.

Anyway, I hope they are going to go to at least an 8" ring gear in the front, w ith an e-locker, it would make more sense. Housing flex would kill it much faster if it was locked.

IMHO
Old 07-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=Phil H.]They're keeping quiet about what they're going to do to install the E-Locker. Then we got hate mail saying we made everything up.

They tell me they're just about ready to go with all the parts. Since they are going to be selling through dealers, they want to be sure that everything they sell is OEM-spec.

I think I'm going to be the test case for some of the parts.

[quote]

Oh freakin' great. So it's going to cost twice as much than anything comparable. I love my dealer, they've been great to me, and are being great to me, but holee krap, they love their pound of flesh for parts. Anything going through our dealership gets smacked twice on the ass for mark-up.

Oh yeah, about the hate mail? Can you blame people? They're starving for somebody to make stuff for the H3. Seriously, it's been out a long time now and there's nothing happening. It's a wierd situation. You see articles like the Wilderness package how long ago and what? Crickets, just a lot of quiet nothing. No front lockers, nothing. It's like it's all made up or something. The Amstar article is as close to science fiction as Star Wars. I've never seen anything longer getting to market since the last space shuttle launch.

By the way, all that neat Amstar stuff should've been on the Adventure package. The front diff should be iron, the front locker should already be there, there should have been an available winch package, the shock mounts should've been skidded before and a roof rack offered. This isn't new and innovative off-road gear and the premier offroad vehicle, the H3 should be unquestionably set up for serious offroading. The real four wheelers on this forum have found the weak spots already. It's great that they've been covered under warranty but they shouldn't have broken in the first place. All of these features are now going to be offered through the dealer only and for double what is reasonable?

Yeah, I'm grumpy on this issue, I've never seen anything like it.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

As I understand it, they'll be selling from their website, too. I'm not a real big fan of dealers.

I don't work for those people, so pardon me, but I don't understand why we got the hate mail, nor did I like it. All I did was write what I saw and what I understood to be true. If people have a problem with AmStar, talk to them. If you have and are frustrated, that's understandable. How do you think I felt when the feature came out and we found out that nothing was in production yet?

Off-Road magazine isn't AmStar. I don't have any control over what they do and don't do. I do reserve the right to think that some people are real sphincters for getting pissed off at me for no reason.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

I'm not pissed at you Phil

GM wanted to get into the accessory business. Period. No licensing was allowed. No one was given H3's to develop products for.

Perhaps, GM knew and helped foster the development of Amstar, a partnership between AM General and Starcraft.

The only thing we as H3 owners can do, is have everything custom built. We have seen a good deal of customization on this site already. Winches, roofracks etc.

To be honest, that's how the H3 will develop higher trail credit, through the innovation of it's owners.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Phil - its a case of kill the messenger I guess. Not fair, but so it goes.

I remember reading not too long ago that the Marketing folks for Amstar jumped the gun on releasing info and the engineering folks have been playing catchup ever since.

I look forward to seeing what they do with your truck and hearing how it works for you.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

I was talking about the people who sent hate mail to the magazine, not anyone here.

GM has been very hard to deal with regarding off-road issues and off-road equipping their vehicles. It's as if the people who are running GM think we're all Neanderthals that don't deserve any credit, when in fact, we're the image leaders who put the brand out in front of John and Jane Q. Public.

As I understand it, AmStar's problems with production is because of this very thing. That's also why they'll be selling from their website and not only through dealers. Once again, as I understand things, they want to be OE-spec because dealers MAY be selling these products. The dealers won't be the only outlet for these parts.

AmStar isn't GM. I think it is a joint-venture between AM General and Vistar.

I told ARB that they should be working on a winch bumper for the H3. They said they had two requests for that, while over 400 (!) FJ Cruiser owners are waiting for product. I think that shows why we don't have more aftermarket suppliers eagerly jumping into the H3 market.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Hummer Guru

From the AMSTAR website "About Us"

Quote:
Amstar offers a full line of aftermarket accessories that enhance the performance, appearance and the rugged off-road experience of HUMMER? H2 and H3 vehicles.
Amstar is a 50-50 joint partnership with Tecstar, a wholly owned subsidiary of Starcraft Corporation of Goshen, Indiana, and AM General LLC of South Bend, Indiana. Starcraft is a leading supplier to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) automotive supply market and AM General is a world leader in design, engineering, production and parts support of military and special purpose vehicles, including the HUMMER.