H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Hummer Novice

HoosierH3 is on a distinguished road
Question JET or PCM for less???? Need direction.

Hey all. New member here. Been lurking in the shadows for a couple days. A lot of good info and people on here. Sorry If I'm to lengthy.

I'm wanting a pcm mod, but not sure If I should purchase a JET Chip or do the PCM for Less option. I've read the threads on here for PCM and it looks like they are creating what I'm looking for, but the idea of a JET module that I can remove and sell in a couple years to get some money back is promising too. My 06 H3 is leased and will most likely get turned back in at the end.

My major concern with PCM for less is that my H3 is dealer serviced almost monthly through my lease (oil changes and tire rotations). I hate to mess with reprogramming if the dealer reflashes for what ever reason. (They've updated the stock program a few times allready without my prior knowledge) (They have the attitude that all the performance issues we are having are all in my head and that my H3 is performing perfectly...BS) It would be much easier for me to just remove the JET prior to service and plug it back in when they're done.

On the other hand, I'm looking for a bit better mileage(avg 13.5 now), firmer shifts, corrected odometer(increased tire size), smoother idle, quicker throttle response, more low end, blah blah blah. I've heard no real feedback on JET as to wether JET will accomplish all this or just give you a bit better feel. I've also heard that JET will help, but may actually lower your mpg.

I've totally confused myself. What say you????
Anybody have a JET module on their H3 or JET experience? Can anybody help me?
Much appreciated.

JET or PCMforless????

HoosierH3
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JET or PCM for less???? Need direction.

I checked JET's web site, I see nothing for the H3. Can you post the link? Please?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Hummer Novice

The JET website is not up to date. It only reflects a spacer for H3.

I spoke with JET customer service today after talking with one of JET's distributers. The distributer is selling the same part number as they sell for the I5 3.5 Colorado/Canyon per JET's instruction. Same exact part number (JET20305) stage 1.

Per JET customer service..they are using the same exact part number for Hummer H3 as earlier Colorado. I confirmed this today with JET. According to JET tech service, "the H3 factory programming is nearly identical to 3.5 Colorados. Part number 20305 works on both with the same results." Wether this is true or false, I do not know, but this is JET's claim.

After reading many threads here pertaining to PCM for less, it does sound that both vehicle are set up similar from the factory, but not identical. Close enough though, that JET's module works in both vehicles.

JET tech service did tell me though that their module only adjusts for fuel/air ratio and timing. No mention or consideration for shift patterns, rough idle, or odometer recalibration obviously.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Hummer Guru

I think it's all a croc.

I'm so sick of this subject.

Could someone just come out with a "real" tune already?

When someone messes/programs a PCM, BCM etc, that isn't an expert on the vehicle, then I wouldn't trust them, or their "close enough" attitude.

"Close but no cigar" is more appropriate. off
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Hummbebe you seemed stressed. MAybe some dancing bananas will help you relax.
ANd all the modes done to your ride have been crash worthyness tested by whom????

HoosierH3 asks a valid question. Don't know if you'll get an answer because I haven't heard of anyone trying JET's system. You may be the first. I went with the PCMforless option and have been happy with it. An increase in milage by 1 to 2 mpg. Depending on how I drive. It shifts better and that anoying lag when you start to let off the gas and have to hammer it again is gone.
In short I'm happy with what PCMforless did.

Last edited by deserth3 : 04-13-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
Hummbebe you seemed stressed. MAybe some dancing bananas will help you relax.
ANd all the modes done to your ride have been crash worthyness tested by whom????

HoosierH3 asks a valid question. Don't know if you'll get an answer because I haven't heard of anyone trying JET's system. You may be the first. I went with the PCMforless option and have been happy with it. An increase in milage by 1 to 2 mpg. Depending on how I drive. It shifts better and that anoying lag when you start to let off the gas and have to hammer it again is gone.
In short I'm happy with what PCMforless did.

Not stressed

My mods are more like a battering ram, so crash test is not necessary. In addition, H2O Hummers has been producing this type of equipment long before Hummers even existed, (mostly on HD Fords and Chevy trucks).

My issue with these types of programs are this:

They have not been dyno tested. Essentially it is a computer alteration that is purely "edumacated" guesswork. While there are improvements, I'll admit it, they are not optimal, because there is no four wheel dyno test to back it up.

I'll wait until there is some actual dyno testing before I use this type of upgrade.

A dyno on a 2 WD Colorado does not work for me.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

I'm not sure why some folks have been so adamant about dyno testing the PCMForLess tune. The real noticable seat-of-the-pants difference is in optimizing the shift points. By fixing the shift points, you are essentially putting more of the available HP & Torque to the ground. To me, it's more of how it feels than what the numbers say. There have been several members on this forum that have done the PCMForLess tune and have nothing but good things to say about it. I guess it's all in what you expect from it. It's not going to be a huge increase in power, but it will likely be a noticable one. There are dyno tests on the K&N intake system that say it produces an extra 16HP. I had one of these for a while and I noticed absolutely no increase in SOTP HP. The only thing I got was more noise. I plan on doing the PCMForLess tune sometime soon. I look at it this way. It costs less than the K&N Intake and if it at least has some noticable results, then it is well worth the price.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Hummer Guru

I would choose to learn from those who have been doing this long before we came along. Those who use/wheel the H2's, Chevy Trucks, Fords, Dodge etc.

They are not that popular among those who are "in the know". It is best to research the industry as a whole. Not everybody believes in it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Hummer Guru

Looks like our PCM for less friends are popular here too...

http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=44414
Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Steve - SanJose

interesting
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Hummer Guru

Now these are guys have HP Tuners, and if they are local, will custom tune your I-5 for sooper cheap....

http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=30952
Old 04-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

HummBebe's link is the first negative thread on another site that I have seen regarding PCMforLess. Some HPTuners info regarding the coloradofans.com listing of people with HPTuners - the cost to buy two credits to tune a single I5 VIN is ~$100 and the cost for six credits to do a complete year of a single type vehicle is ~$300. (The colorado/canyon and H3 are considered different vehicles as far as HPTuners goes.) My point is that the people listed with HPTuners may charge a little more to cover the additional costs for credits because they probably have licenses for colorado/canyon not the H3.

I don't think the JET chip will alter the shifts are recalibrate for different tire sizes. So I don't think JET will work for you.

It looks like you have three choices:
1) Buy HPTuners and do the tune yourself for ~$500.
2) Mail order tune - from PCMforLess, for example, for $199 + shipping
3) Contact one of the people near you with HPTuners from HummBebe's link.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Looks like our PCM for less friends are popular here too...

http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=44414

Bebe, not to be confrontational, but that's just another case of one person who hasn't personally tried it saying pcm4less is crap because he heard it from other "unnamed" sources.

To date, I still haven't seen anyone who has bought the tune say anthing negative about it, have you?

You mentioned 4 wheel dyno in a previous post, what would you like to see from a dyno that would convince you one way or the other?

To me and most others here the bottom line is does it improve the driveability of the truck and make it more pleasureable and the resounding answer is yes....
Old 04-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Are you guys all believing that the Canyon/Colorado is the same truck?

What about gearing?
Power to weight ratios?
You can't put 35's on a C/C.

The H3's are HEAVY. C/C is a truck with a bed on it.

I'm not saying it does not change it, I'm asking how we know it is optimal?

I'd rather have a stranger with a laptop ride around with me in several different driving situations collecting data, and optimize it real life.

If you go back to that forum and do some research, there are a good number of people complaining about it.

Check it out.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Going for the PCMforless doohickey myself. Won't be shy to let y'all know if it did nothing, worsened, or, improved things. (BTW, tried to call twice about something, no big deal but, got a voice recording each time - so customer service isn't exemplary if you'd care to know.)

The way I figured was I wanted to spend some money on the truck and the choices were new air-intake, exhaust, or computer software. I didn't really need any data such as dyno because these have really been more for marketing. Have y'all looked at the K& N dyno for example? The RPM that the truck must function in inorder to see a difference is NOT REAL WORLD. So why does it seem to me that people put in new air intake system without batting an eye lid (same with exhaust) as if it should do anything to the truck especially when the OEM setup is ALREADY COLD AIR .
Anyways, what I'm saying, is sometimes decisions to "accessorize" the truck don't have to be logical. How else can you explain all the BLING??
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW, the other software solution is...http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_C...p/z-h3comp.htm

Sounds similar to PCMforless. I wonder if someone would consider comparing the two. Hmmm....
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
Going for the PCMforless doohickey myself. Won't be shy to let y'all know if it did nothing, worsened, or, improved things. (BTW, tried to call twice about something, no big deal but, got a voice recording each time - so customer service isn't exemplary if you'd care to know.)

The way I figured was I wanted to spend some money on the truck and the choices were new air-intake, exhaust, or computer software. I didn't really need any data such as dyno because these have really been more for marketing. Have y'all looked at the K& N dyno for example? The RPM that the truck must function in inorder to see a difference is NOT REAL WORLD. So why does it seem to me that people put in new air intake system without batting an eye lid (same with exhaust) as if it should do anything to the truck especially when the OEM setup is ALREADY COLD AIR .
Anyways, what I'm saying, is sometimes decisions to "accessorize" the truck don't have to be logical. How else can you explain all the BLING??

I'll wait patiently for your opinion, appreciate your objective approach to the mod.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Hummer Novice

Ok...Sorry i opened this can of worms again. I realize it has been debated multiple other times here and this thread is starting to look exactly the same as the other threads regarding PCM for less. I was just hoping for some input on JET, but obviously, no body has tried one.

HummBebe-I can't quite understand the negativity and doubt from you, since you have no real direct experience with PCM for less (It looks to me that you never used them?) nor any other programming company from what I've read on this site (Looks to me that you are running the stock computer waiting for the world to end that maybe a "proven" "dyno'd" program will arrive with the second coming??? It seams that you are out to bash PCM for some reason. Yes, Multi Million dollar Dyno testing would look great on paper, but what would it really prove? Bottom line, I'm looking for seat of the pants return for my dollar. As it was stated, new intake systems and aftermarket exhaust provide the majority of their performance at WOT which is just not realistic for a daily driver. I'm looking to improve the daily drivability of a poorly tuned stock factory vehicle.

I don't quite trust the other site that was mentioned, http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=44414. It seams they censor anything they don't agree with and a bunch of Colorado owners running around tuning each other's vehicles for the cost of their gas does not seem to "proven" either.

I think this post has led my decision toward using PCM for less as their legit competitors are charging considerably more. I've got a service date coming up next week, after that, I'll be contacting PCM. I'll post back afterward with my confirmed results.
Hoosier
Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

TOTALLY HAPPY WITH MY PCMFORLESS TUNE!!!!

And if ChevyHighPerformance is satisfied with his research on them, so am I.

AND I FIND IT PRETTY SAD, WHOEVER PUT THE ORIGINAL THREAD IN THE WOODSHED
GET REAL!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierH3
Ok...Sorry i opened this can of worms again. I realize it has been debated multiple other times here and this thread is starting to look exactly the same as the other threads regarding PCM for less. I was just hoping for some input on JET, but obviously, no body has tried one.

HummBebe-I can't quite understand the negativity and doubt from you, since you have no real direct experience with PCM for less (It looks to me that you never used them?) nor any other programming company from what I've read on this site (Looks to me that you are running the stock computer waiting for the world to end that maybe a "proven" "dyno'd" program will arrive with the second coming??? It seams that you are out to bash PCM for some reason. Yes, Multi Million dollar Dyno testing would look great on paper, but what would it really prove? Bottom line, I'm looking for seat of the pants return for my dollar. As it was stated, new intake systems and aftermarket exhaust provide the majority of their performance at WOT which is just not realistic for a daily driver. I'm looking to improve the daily drivability of a poorly tuned stock factory vehicle.

I don't quite trust the other site that was mentioned, http://www.coloradofans.com/viewtopic.php?t=44414. It seams they censor anything they don't agree with and a bunch of Colorado owners running around tuning each other's vehicles for the cost of their gas does not seem to "proven" either.

I think this post has led my decision toward using PCM for less as their legit competitors are charging considerably more. I've got a service date coming up next week, after that, I'll be contacting PCM. I'll post back afterward with my confirmed results.
Hoosier

There are several threads on PCM for Less on Hummerforums.com and everyone with an H3 that got the tune is happy with it. They have been using the tune since last fall.

Too bad someone here feels they have to hide the previous thread on this site.....

I haven't seen one H3 owner that got the tune that wasn't satisfied with it.