H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Elcova Rookie

Scott D is off the scale
Default Lights dont work properly

Ok, here?s my problem. I searched the web and found nothing, so now I?m asking the experts; hopefully some one can help me.
I did some fabricating to my boat trailer and in the process I converted all the incandescent lights to LED?s. (Two tail lights, three light marker in the center rear trailer and eight marker/parking lights, four on each side of the trailer)
Now when I connect the trailer to the H3 (Hitch& lights) and turn on the parking lights they all turn on. I when I apply the turn signal (right or left) nothing happens to the trailer lights until I turn off the parking lights then the lights flash, but all the parking lights flash on which ever side you apply the turn signal. When I turn off the parking lights and apply the brake all lights come on (parking and tail) same thing happens with the Hazard lights.
I?m pretty sure every thing is wired correctly, all parking lights were wired to the brown wire, right tail light to green wire, Left tail light to yellow.
The trailer has a standard four wire flat plug. I checked all the wiring and it seems ok, I did run out of day light so I have to go over it again tomorrow morning.
Now I?m no expert, but I do have some experience in wiring 12 volt lights. I wired my utility trailer and my grandfather?s two utility trailers no problem. I?ve added parking lights (LED?s) to my Ford Super Duty that I used to own, no problem. When I was a teenager I used to wire my uncle?s tow trucks that included many Paring lights, Flood lights, strobes and light Bars to include relays, lets face it It?s not rocket science, but I?m really racking my brain on this one. Also when the lights flash they flash really really fast like those Euro cars.
The H3. It did not come with a towing package. So I purchased an after market hitch and had it installed along with a four wire flat connector. Now the wire connector they added says U-Haul on it. The trailer place I went to is not a U-Haul place but they are an authorized dealer so that explains the plug. But the plug looks like a double four flat. 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. My trailer connector will only fit the bottom 4 connector on that U- Haul connector. Now it did cross my mind that the U-Haul plug might be the culprit. The wires were spliced into the Hummer. I haven?t checked to see if the trailer place wired it correctly. Also I know that U-Haul uses weird adaptors that you have to buy separate when you rent one of there trailers.
  • Do you think that could be it or did I mess up some where in the trailer wiring like something is not grounded correctly or a bare wire?
  • Am I overloading the H3 with the trailer lights?
  • Why do the flash so fast?
  • Do I need to add some kind of adaptor for the LED lights?
Any help or ideas would be great. I will be losing sleep over this tonight trying to figure this out. I know it?s got to be something very simple. Thanks.