H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

RMST is off the scale

Hey guys listen to Burgundy(Modley), he sounds like some SCHOOLGIRL B*TCH!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Modley is off the scale

What the hell's the Burgundy comment!

OK I got to go on a 8 hour drive in my rental.

You guys now know the dealer and F5 has the VIN

I assume that if someone calls the dealer they will tell you the same thing they told me.

I will check back in late tonight.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully somone here can help you.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Memphis..... hmmmm.... over by Wolfchase. Been there.

I think this thread is very boring, but it interests me.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 12-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Modley is off the scale

GD is it that hard to understand?

First:
I loved my Hummer until it broke the F down. So I started to wish I hadn't bought it. Simple

Second:

The dealer has been great. The product is starting not to look so great.

I wouldn't blame BestBuy because a Sony TV broke. I'd blame Sony.
I wouldn't have a problem with BestBuy unless the wouldn't help replace or fix it.

So far the dealer has been great.

God I can't believe I have to explain this!

I tell you what I really am starting to wish is I hadn't found this web site with a bunch of jacka**es that want to give me a hard time.

So Timgco have you called back?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

First out, I haven't been made aware of any widespread issues with the I-5 used in the Colorado/H3. That doesn't mean there isn't the possibility of isolated issues. I do know that we have not replaced a single cylinder head...yet. When GM requests that an assembly replaced under warranty be returned to the WPC (Warrany Parts Center) it is to determine the root cause of failure and to determine if replacement was warranted. This take time. If there is an issue, and it is widespread, then it becomes a recall or campaign to repair a defect. If it is an isolated event, usually regionalized, it goes out as a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and IF the issue is brought as a complaint by the consumer AND the vehicle falls under the parameters of the TSB, the repair is performed.

That is how it works.

Now, as far as replacement of the cylinder head being warranted, I believe that it is standard practice to tear it down and send it out for magnafluxing and surface flatness by a qulaified machine shop. If the valves were burned due to a lean condition, GM would pay to have the damaged valves replaced, no question. If the head is warped beyond specification, it would be replaced, no question. But if you read your new vehicle warranty, it clearly states redundantly, that GM will repair OR replace at their discretion. In other words, what would most benefit them, make the consumer happy, and cost them the least.

My guess is they suspect a calibration problem, are working on a temporary field fix to get by on, and will come out with a TSB shortly containing a recalibration.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Modley:
I tell you what I really am starting to wish is I hadn't found this web site with a bunch of jacka**es that want to give me a hard time.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what to do:

1) Delete your history of visited websites.
2) Delete your cookies.
3) Delete all temporary internet files.
4) Turn off your computer.

By the time it boots back up you'll probably forget you were ever here.

And, by the way, I think the troll comments were probably right on track.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Modley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GMPartsGuy:
First out, I haven't been made aware of any widespread issues with the I-5 used in the Colorado/H3. That doesn't mean there isn't the possibility of isolated issues. I do know that we have not replaced a single cylinder head...yet. When GM requests that an assembly replaced under warranty be returned to the WPC (Warrany Parts Center) it is to determine the root cause of failure and to determine if replacement was warranted. This take time. If there is an issue, and it is widespread, then it becomes a recall or campaign to repair a defect. If it is an isolated event, usually regionalized, it goes out as a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and IF the issue is brought as a complaint by the consumer AND the vehicle falls under the parameters of the TSB, the repair is performed.

That is how it works.

Now, as far as replacement of the cylinder head being warranted, I believe that it is standard practice to tear it down and send it out for magnafluxing and surface flatness by a qulaified machine shop. If the valves were burned due to a lean condition, GM would pay to have the damaged valves replaced, no question. If the head is warped beyond specification, it would be replaced, no question. But if you read your new vehicle warranty, it clearly states redundantly, that GM will repair OR replace at their discretion. In other words, what would most benefit them, make the consumer happy, and cost them the least.

My guess is they suspect a calibration problem, are working on a temporary field fix to get by on, and will come out with a TSB shortly containing a recalibration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. That sounds in line with what they are telling me. They said they were sending the entire assembled part back for evaluation.

The only reason I even brought up the recall is that my dealer said he already had 2 with this problem and when I called back he had two more.

As soon as I posted anything about this here everybody immediately starts calling me a liar, future prius owner and every other kind of thing. No one wanted to even possibly think that I was telling the truth.

The only reason I have followed this as long as I have is to see all of those people realize their wrong.

It's funny that I have given VIN numbers dealer info and no one still wants to admit that I've been telling the truth.

I stick with my original statements.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not received any VIN information from you, so let's get that straight. Plenty of other people here have emailed me or sent private messages, so that is not the problem. But just in case, here is my address f5fstop@comcast.net.
Now, as for the cylinder head, to my surprise it is serviced as a bare head (why they do this amazes me). So, the dealer tech has to assemble with new valves, springs, head, etc., if the entire assembly was returned.
If there is this problem you are saying, the engineers would want the head back all in one piece, they would check it out. If nothing comes of the checks, they might have it installed on a test vehicle and driven to see if they can verify the original problem.

As for you, the take a logical view of your original post, and the mentions of recalls, the high number of vehicles (for one dealer this is high), and your now infamous last sentence, then you could draw the same conclusion that the rest of us did in the beginning. It looks like a troll post; especially since it was your first post.
We have quite a few trolls hit this website, as do other websites.

As for problems, from what I learned today, there is no large problem with the head. As in anything man made, some will break, some calibrations will go haywire, etc. This is not to say there won't be a problem in the future, but from what I learned today, the labor op for head replacement on this vehicle is very, very low. And labor ops are the main trigger for a problem, other than TAC input.
But TAC is not that reliable, especially since they are a contract firm, and not GM employees. In addition, there are NO preliminary investigations at this time on cylinder head issues on the H3 or on any other vehicle using this engine. A preliminary investigation is initiated by TAC to get info out to the field.

So, whether you send a VIN or not, is up to you, but stop saying I have it, because I don't. Personally, I have decided this thread is no longer any more fun, or informative, so since I'm out of here. My dog wants to go play in the snow.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Hummer Guru

Ok, I'm back. Something must be wrong with the system, I have no indication a PM was sent, yet there is one, so I apologize for that.
In addition, since you are in the VOL state, I will be nice. (Just moved from there a few months ago.)
Nothing shows on your service history, other than the seats covers being replaced, and the door jamb switch being replaced. Normally, the labor op and repair is not submitted until after the work.
You do have an open campaign (recall) so make sure the dealer checks your rear wiper washer motor, and replace it if necessary. With the cylinder head off the vehicle, this check of the washer motor will take the dealer less than five seconds. If the pump needs to be replaced, it will take them fifteen minutes at the most.
Again, I have to stress that your first post did appear to be that of a troll. However, I still say I can find no problems with a large number of cylinder heads.
Can't even say the dealer is pulling your leg. However, I will reiterate that if the dealer tech cannot lap the new valves to the new head, and build the head up, they are in dire need of some training. It only takes a few hours AT THE MOST.

Good luck...
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Modley:
I stick with my original statements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I'll stick with mine: TROLL
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 AM

trebor is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
I just have to ask, "do you really believe what a dealer tells you." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy what a HYPOCRITE!!!!!

f5fstop you originally told me to -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
let the ones trained on the Hummer H3, work on it and see if there is a problem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if anyone gets on here and says they have a problem you call them a liar and say not to tell anyone about it, just take it in for warranty.

I understand his last statement was derogatory towards our beloved H3's, but you don't even ask for an explanation before everyone is calling him a liar.

His situation sounds like a regional one, possibly something with the driving conditions or too low octane fuel. That is if the dealer has several of these in for the same reason and this is not going on any where else in the country. About 15 yrs ago we had several vehicles of all makes and models coming into our shop with running too lean issues, it turned out to be traceable back to one gas station that was cutting the fuel with a grain alcohol additive. He was not mixing it to the proper ratios.

Sometimes I think GM just pays you to sit on the forums and say nothing ever goes wrong with their vehicles. (that is if you really work for GM, maybe there PR firm)

I have had the transmission go out in mine at 3074 miles and GM wanted it back to tear down and see what happened. (I saw the print out from GM) Not a core but sent to some quality control center.

By the way does anyone know if BCMs are shipping yet. I am still waiting on one to fix the dash lights in my H3.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hummer Guru

I guess all I have to say to you, is shove it where the sun does not shine, and if you are to quote me and call me a hypocrite, then post the entire thread.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/5...271055641#3271055641

In the first quote, I'm referring to the dealer's service adviser and/or in some cases the service manager. In the second, I'm referring to factory trained technicians diagnosing a problem. As a so-called ASE certified technician, I guess I was wrong in assuming you understood how some dealership employees like to stretch the truth to make the customer have a good feeling that they are not the only ones having problems. As a so-called ASE certified technician, and for those who work in most dealerships, they probably not only understand this, but are amused and sometimes peed off at what the advisers and SM will sometimes tell a customer.

This is the second time you have accused me of not being a GM employee. What you think is of no concern to me. Read the thread I posted, and understand the English language. You originally stated it sounds like brakes, and mentioned the transmission, all I did was explain how some of the newer transmission are programmed, and I mentioned it was hard to diagnose not being there personally. I guess I assumed wrong in thinking that you, as a so-called ASE certified technician, would understand how hard it is to diagnose a problem from hundreds of miles away, without being at the vehicle.

Yes, some people have problems with their H3, I have been lucky in not having anything wrong with mine...so far. Hell, I could go out today and blow the engine. However, I am not the only one on this site who has had no problems with my H3, there are plenty of others.

Modley's first post to this forum was exactly what a troll would do, and I have since corrected this to say that it now appears to be a legitimate problem with his vehicle. I still see nothing in regard to a problem nationwide.

As for being a PR guy for GM, well, I won't even dignify that remark with an answer, but I will say there are plenty of people on this site who know that I am who I say I am; if for any reason other than they have received emails from my GM.COM address.

So, you have a nice day, and as far as BCMs shipping, maybe someone else will answer that one for you.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:31 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

I think of all people to slam, Fstop would not be one of them. he's one of the nicest people on here, and if someone comes in with a problem he does his best to help people out, if it's explaining how a part works or to say which part to have looked at. And if he messes up some how he says he's sorry rather than just make up some lame ass excuse. So get off his nuts.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM

trebor is off the scale

Ok, look I know he tries to help if you already have a track record on this website. What my issue is, with f5fstop and with anyone else that flames against someone is that they don't even ask before they react. It seems they pass judgment before they even have asked any questions.

f5fstop, you had already decided that you knew what was wrong with my vehicle before you even read my post yourself, I stated that my wife thought it was the brakes. After I test drove it myself I told you it was when you shifted from reverse to drive or from drive to reverse, while coming to a complete stop. You still insisted that it was in the TCM or PCM. The issue is that people may have the same symptoms on the surface but with out getting deeper and asking questions you will not find out that they may all be different issues.

Modley, I have checked with my sources at GM (which I still have quite a few) they say there is no nation wide issues with the head. You may want to have the dealer check your fuel for water or too high alcohol, if they are using it.

As for everyone here, I don't know what the problem is, I know when you spend $40,000 on a vehicle and something goes wrong, you just want to vent a little. He could have vented at the Jeep dealer while looking for a different vehicle, but he chose to vent here where we should be telling him that it will be fine when the dealer gets it back to him. Instead we are calling him a forum troll and a liar. Makes me want to drive my Hummer in shame of this community.

I will keep my Hummer and I will keep coming here to read the posts. Even f5fstop is helpful, in most cases. I just get a little disappointed when everyone acts like idiots.

I just won't come to ya'll with any problems.
Because ya'll aren't much help in that area.

The forum title needs to be changed to say you can only say good things about your Hummer, if you have a problem keep it to yourself.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Amazing, you can actually read my mind. No, I did not jump into that previous message, or this message with a closed mind. As for your message, I have to ask, being the ASE certified technician, why didn't you diagnose the problem. You had the vehicle, you could drive it; therefore, you should have been able to diagnose it.
I would hope that everyone understands that anytime I, or anyone else gives some information, it is with the fact that we cannot guarantee what we say is correct. We can only give what we know. If the vehicle had been driven by me, and diagnosed, then I MIGHT have been able to give you a correct assessment of the problem.
As for this thread. I guess I am cynical of any first thread that had some of the statements made by the poster; especially the last sentence. After years on many forums including Corvette and Jeep, I have found that most posts that start out that way are from trolls. This was a mistake on my part in regard to this thread, and I stated this a few posts earlier.
I attempt to help when I can, and there are many threads I don't say a thing in since I know not what the answer MIGHT be. However, if there is something that could be the problem, I'm more than happy to address the issue.
As for good things, do I apologize because I do have a H3 that has been pretty much trouble free? I don't think so. The troubles reported on this site are only a very small number, not only on this site, but with overall sales. How many are on the H3 forum? Under 1000, and there are over 27K sold and on the roads. If a few have problems, then I feel for them, but I would not say that with these numbers any problem would be considered a crisis.
(I have complained about some of the things I believe should be fixed with the design such as brake pedal placement, window switches, wiper park position, etc.)
Yes, it is true that a few on here have problems, and all those who have problems have legitimate complaints, especially in regard to the replacement of BCMs (which I might add I checked supply today, and per GM Dealerworld's Epic system, there are none available).
I consider this to be BS and there is no reason, in my mind, why there are no BCMs available. Even for me, it has crossed my mind what do I do if a BCM goes out.
I do know that there is a large number of BCMs replaced by dealers, when testing proves out the BCM was not at fault, and this could cut supply, but why there are no BCMs available at this time, makes me wonder what in the H is going on. (Enough of my ramblings on the BCM which does pee me off.)

I see no reason why you can't ask a question on this forum. Most people mean well, and I promise not to add any comments in any of your threads you post from now on; if that is what you desire.

In closing, I do not want to fight or argue about these subjects; it takes up too much valuable time.

Have a good day (and that is not sarcasm)...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:36 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trebor:
It seems they pass judgment before they even have asked any questions.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no I will agree with you on that point that there are a few people that do seem to over top really quickly, but from what I noticed it's not normally the H3 drivers to go off first. No offense to the H2 guys, just an observation. Just a different midset for the two groups, or maybe they just need a hug :-P
Old 12-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

I started to laugh when you posted this as i agree as well - however - if you think about it, you must give the origional H2 drivers alot of respect due to the fact of HOW MUCH $HIT they had to put up with. I mean; media, friends, know it alls, tree huggers and not to mention vandalism!

Those guys over the past years have really had to grow some thick skin to have the bawls to continue to post in a public area. So its no surprise to see them be a little jumpy. Look at what they have been through....

Also, look at the H3s. We are getting off easy. I mean we werent sure if we would catch hell; but honsetly I feel as if the H3 has changed alot of minds from Hummer Haters to Maybe a Future Hummer Driver....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
....there are a few people that do seem to over top really quickly, but from what I noticed it's not normally the H3 drivers to go off first. No offense to the H2 guys, just an observation. Just a different midset for the two groups, or maybe they just need a hug :-P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker...you have a point, never thought of it that way. Having lived in the Nashville area when the H2 first came out, never heard too much sh$t given to the H2 owners, and I knew a couple.
Now that I live in MI, my trip to work in the AM encounters at least two H3s and three H2s and on the way home even a white H1.
But I do know in other areas, there are problems for guys with H2s.